What you going to do about those guns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motherwit

After the awful tragedy this week in Uvalde where 19 school children and 2 teachers were gunned down by an 18 year old boy… what concrete solutions are there to stop this sort of thing happening?

Why do you ask this, instead of what to do about the manifestation of evil in the human heart? You cannot legislate the devil out of existence. The spiritual cannot be bound by the physical. While only human to look for physical solutions to spiritual problems, it cannot be the solution.

This tragedy had numerous pre-indicators - all of which were ignored. Every such tragedy has these indicators. The knee jerk, emotion-driven response is to pass new laws! Send troops door-to-door to gather the weapons up! Where has this occurred historically and how did it work out? Students of history recall that this occurred in totalitarian nations where evil then triumphed at a national - then world wide level.

Is this what is desired?

The time to prevent this was before it happened. This young man had a rather horrible childhood and slowly developed a seething rage. He was rapidly deteriorating and nothing was done. Allow this to continue unabated and tragedy inevitably ensues. See this? It’s NOT a booking photo. Ramos had no criminal history. He was spinning out of control for some time and NOTHING was done.

Screen Shot 2022-05-29 at 7.18.56 PM

The school could have/should have locked doors! Such tragedies are known and in all such cases, predictability is preventability. My wife points out that in Europe and Latin America, schools and even convents are locked - have been for decades. Why?

Evil exists.

Guns? Did we blame Boeing for 9/11? Airbus? Those aircraft were the last in a long process of evil planning. Remember that passengers were not allowed control of aircraft. There was “plane control.” Did not work. The time for prevention was during the formative stages of the evil plan. Practically speaking, I have lived around firearms my entire life. So has virtually everyone I know. None of us has ever gone on a mass murder spree. Why is that?

Because we are not murderers! And THAT is the problem. Murderers always find a way. Should we ban jet airliners because of 9/11? No, because they have greater value. And so it is with firearms. Aside from being a bulwark of freedom, they PREVENT or DETER thousands of crimes yearly. Oh, but the media does not report that, as it does not fit their agenda. A heroic woman:

You would take this away, leading to a defenseless population that exists in fear of the criminal element? More crime of all types, including women raped and killed?

Q: What is it that you seek?

How about praying and laboring for a change of hearts?

Last edited:
Why do you ask this, instead of what to do about the manifestation of evil in the human heart? You cannot legislate the devil out of existence. The spiritual cannot be bound by the physical. While only human to look for physical solutions to spiritual problems, it cannot be the solution.
But that isn’t true is it because we are always advocating for physical solutions to spiritual problems ie. Abortion, gay marriage.
This tragedy had numerous pre-indicators - all of which were ignored. Every such tragedy has these indicators. The knee jerk, emotion-driven response is to pass new laws! Send troops door-to-door to gather the weapons up! Where has this occurred historically and how did it work out? Students of history recall that this occurred in totalitarian nations where evil then triumphed at a national - then world wide level.

Is this what is desired?
The majority of tragedies have some sort of pre-indicator. Normally what happens after is not knee jerk, emotion-driven responses. It’s common sense and safety driven responses. That’s how we have so many rules with cars and on the road. They usually develop as responses to accidents or deliberate misuse.
The time to prevent this was before it happened. This young man had a rather horrible childhood and slowly developed a seething rage. He was rapidly deteriorating and nothing was done. Allow this to continue unabated and tragedy inevitably ensues. See this? It’s NOT a booking photo. Ramos had no criminal history. He was spinning out of control for some time and NOTHING was done.
There are lots of religious and community organisations who are doing just that. Trying to rescue these troubled youth from going down the wrong path. The problem is that they can’t force counselling or treatment on anyone. If you resort to sectioning every troubled youth before they go down a bad path, that’s a can of worms that obviously can’t work. The police can only use the law to force treatment after they’ve committed a crime. How would you propose rounding up and treating every troubled youth?

The school could have/should have locked doors! Such tragedies are known and in all such cases, predictability is preventability. My wife points out that in Europe and Latin America, schools and even convents are locked - have been for decades. Why?

Evil exists.
Texas had already moved on making schools secure but gave a pittance to schools to do it. Larger schools just couldn’t make it work. On top of that, few teachers wanted to tote guns. US Gun lovers don’t get that. They just don’t get that ordinary people would rather not kill anyone else outside a war zone. It’s not in the nature of gentle folk.

Guns? Did we blame Boeing for 9/11? Airbus? Those aircraft were the last in a long process of evil planning. Remember that passengers were not allowed control of aircraft. There was “plane control.” Did not work. The time for prevention was during the formative stages of the evil plan. Practically speaking, I have lived around firearms my entire life. So has virtually everyone I know. None of us has ever gone on a mass murder spree. Why is that?

Because we are not murderers! And THAT is the problem. Murderers always find a way. Should we ban jet airliners because of 9/11? No, because they have greater value. And so it is with firearms. Aside from being a bulwark of freedom, they PREVENT or DETER thousands of crimes yearly. Oh, but the media does not report that, as it does not fit their agenda.
Oh come on. After 9/11 the whole world changed its attitude to air travel and as a result the use of aircraft as weapons of mass destruction has been eliminated. We had done a lot of air travel before that time but after 9/11 even here in Australia for years subsequent my husband was pulled aside for special treatment. He’s a mild mannered Italian but looks middle Eastern. At first it was a bit embarrassing but then it became a laugh to recount each time. He didn’t kick up a stink about his ‘rights’ because well ‘the common good’. Something that doesn’t seem very important to gun lovers in the US.
You would take this away, leading to a defenseless population that exists in fear of the criminal element? More crime of all types, including women raped and killed?
I simply don’t believe the propaganda that making guns freely available under the justification of self defense outside an official war zone, leads to better safety for everyone. It’s proved untrue outside the US and it’s a cop out line inside the US where anyone that doesn’t want to tote a gun is left out in the cold. Gun advocates have no interest in a 2nd Amendment style militia to protect the common good. They just want guns for themselves as their right. It is as plain as the nose on your face that the common good is not at the heart of the modern translation of the 2nd Amendment anymore.
Q: What is it that you seek?

How about praying and laboring for a change of hearts?
Catholics all over the world are doing just that. I’m asking what about the concrete measures that can keep people safe and alive today.

Last edited:
This tragedy had numerous pre-indicators - all of which were ignored.

The time to prevent this was before it happened. This young man had a rather horrible childhood and slowly developed a seething rage. He was rapidly deteriorating and nothing was done.
The situation of this young man with all his “obvious” troubles was no different from thousands of other young men who also had not yet been charged with a felony. If we were supposed to take proactive steps limiting his freedom before last Tuesday then we would have to take such limiting action against thousands of others who are indistinguishable from him. It is always easy to say after the fact “He was a ticking time bomb. I knew he was going to do something like this.” It is much harder to actually predict it beforehand for a specific individual and take action that limits his freedom to do things like buy a military-style weapon. If you try that you will run into big problems from the powerful NRA.

Your Australian! How did forced disarmament work there?

Rather, why not let Americans decide? Q: Are you blasting Putin over the killing of Ukrainian children? No? Kindly explain why not. A whole lot more than 19 have died.

Pertinence aside, I disagree with your reasoning. I abhor what will be the result. More violence and death. Not less. More. The law of unintended consequences. Do you want more death? Of course not!

You cannot get rid of guns. You cannot. Time and money is far better spent on mental health, counseling, good parenting, fostering intact families and holding small-time deviants and criminals accountable before they become big-time criminals. Leave the DNA of the USA alone and work on what works. Gun control has ultimately failed every time it has been tried. Do you honestly think it will work this time? Isn’t that the logical fallacy of wishful thinking? We need results.

Weapons will flood in via Mexico from China, Russia and even from the US “Fast and Furious” anti-drug operation which armed cartelistas in Mexico. Who to blame now?

I love your passion, but I cannot disagree more with the reasoning. Would you take Tylenol for cancer? Treating symptoms is a fail. Guns are a symptom. I’ve had three cancers, so I have skin in that game.

Do you really think that disarming the peaceful will help them? How? The criminal will always be armed. The criminal will steal from the military - and has. He or she will buy on the international arms market and truck them across the open US border. Gun control thus becomes malignant, disarming the victim. Who runs the streets then?

You cannot disarm criminals - 31 years carrying badge and gun taught me that. You control the criminal or the mental patient and the gun is not a problem.

You believe everything in your post? You believe that it will magically happen by the utterly simplistic method of yet another law? Where has that ever worked?

Let’s do something that works and something that does not lead to greater bloodshed. History is our professor here. Even Australian history.

Last edited:
“Breitbart”! There’s an authoritative unbiased source to reference, right?

Yes, I’m using sarcasm - not the best tool for debating. But this is more like a private discussion than a debate. I don’t see a lot of activity here.
Rather, why not let Americans decide?
They are. An overwhelming majority of Americans are in favor of strengthened background checks. But the power of the NRA to dominate legislation prevents any meaningful reform.
Pertinence aside, I disagree with your reasoning. I abhor what will be the result. More violence and death.
This is an assumption that runs contrary to evidence. Yes, it’s that pesky Harvard study you continue to ignore.
You cannot get rid of guns. You cannot.
“You cannot get rid of abortion. You cannot.”
Gun control has ultimately failed every time it has been tried.
You mean significant gun control legislation has failed to pass every time it has been tried because of concerted opposition from the NRA and gun manufacturers.
weapons will flood in via Mexico…
Interesting that you should bring up Mexico, which has a gun problem because of the flood of guns from the US. We created the chaos is Mexico.
Do you really think that disarming the peaceful will help them? How?
Because it reduces the number of guns for everyone, including the not-so-peaceful, or potentially not-so-peaceful.
The criminal will always be armed.
False assumption with no basis in fact.

Your Australian! How did forced disarmament work there?

https://www.breitbart.com/2nd-amend...s-confiscation-scheme-fails-disarm-criminals/

Rather, why not let Americans decide? Q: Are you blasting Putin over the killing of Ukrainian children? No? Kindly explain why not. A whole lot more than 19 have died.
Two points. The NRA and their apologists like Breitbart are constantly falsifying the Australian gun control data to feed their propaganda. It seems that some people just gullibly believe them and don’t bother to ask or research because Australia is constantly correcting them for the record. Read here…

https://www.news.com.au/world/north...a/news-story/b863448b4868a6f24daac9d03f7cb931
You cannot get rid of guns. You cannot. Time and money is far better spent on mental health, counseling, good parenting, fostering intact families and holding small-time deviants and criminals accountable before they become big-time criminals. Leave the DNA of the USA alone and work on what works. Gun control has ultimately failed every time it has been tried. Do you honestly think it will work this time? Isn’t that the logical fallacy of wishful thinking? We need results.
You never addressed the points I made in my last post. You’re just saying the same things again.
I love your passion, but I cannot disagree more with the reasoning. Would you take Tylenol for cancer? Treating symptoms is a fail. Guns are a symptom. I’ve had three cancers, so I have skin in that game.
I can’t make head nor tail of that analogy. If the cancer is the massacre of children and innocents and guns are the reason, isn’t the more sensible treatment to reduce exposure to the cause?
Do you really think that disarming the peaceful will help them? How? The criminal will always be armed. The criminal will steal from the military - and has. He or she will buy on the international arms market and truck them across the open US border. Gun control thus becomes malignant, disarming the victim. Who runs the streets then?
The Australian who killed 50 NZers at two Mosques a couple of years ago, went to NZ because he couldn’t get the type of guns he wanted in Australia.
You believe everything in your post? You believe that it will magically happen by the utterly simplistic method of yet another law? Where has that ever worked?
Laws work everyday. As I said in my previous post. Laws regarding air travel have eliminated 9/11 type hijackings. Laws regarding cars and car use mean everyone is safer on the road. What other bit of equipment on the planet is treated like an untouchable idol than US guns? The children sacrificed at the altar of the gun will be beacon of shame in the light of history.

I’m a life NRA member - and those who hate it are ignorant. They know nothing of what they judge - judge!!! - and condemn the organization which trains police and civilians and presses for more punishment for those committing violent crime.

I sure hate the ignorance, but that is a fact of modern life.

I’m a life NRA member - and those who hate it are ignorant. They know nothing of what they judge - judge!!! - and condemn the organization which trains police and civilians and presses for more punishment for those committing violent crime.

I sure hate the ignorance, but that is a fact of modern life.
The article I posted was a response to the NRA’s continual false narrative regarding Australia’s gun laws. Why can’t the Australian people correct that? Are we to be ‘cancelled’ and just shut up in the face of those false claims? Are the NRA beyond all judgment from anyone? Are they divine or God Himself?

It is certainly not above scrutiny. But, let us remain focused here. How to say this to a supposedly fellow Christian? I do not believe your thoughts are truly your own. Someone or something has influenced you to speak and act against human liberty - not because of the good that an armed citizenry does, but because of isolated though very tragic occurrences. Such thinking will ultimately justify complete oppression for the sake of “'security.” Is not one then a prisoner?

Since liberty, since freedom has “too much risk”, we should become slaves to an all-powerful government? I don’t think that most Aussies think like that. Rather, they rebelled as much as government would allow them, to the draconian lockdowns during Covid - lockdowns that assuredly cost lives.

No one supports violence, but you seem to have latched on to a radical political ideology which works against the rights we have from God. Why is that? It is not consistent with the catechism of the Catholic Church. So, why then?

Last edited:
If one simply suffers from hoplophobia, therapy is available.

In the meantime, is it not better to focus on making crime illegal and on pouring much more effort into mental health? Incarceration is prevention and saves the violent life for a chance at repentance. Mental health resources are simply compassion in action. Who could argue against this?

All of this may be done without oppressing peaceful citizens, and without shredding one of the finest documents ever written pertaining to human liberty.

Unless there is an ulterior motive.

Last edited:
I’m a life NRA member - and those who hate it are ignorant.
We do not hate the NRA. We hate the lies they tell and the corruption in 1977 when the previously honorable organization devoted to gun safety and marksmanship was taken over by the current militant band of extremists. I hope the NRA will some day return to its roots and once again become the respectable organization they once were.
I do not believe your thoughts are truly your own.
Right back at you.
but you seem to have latched on to a radical political ideology which works against the rights we have from God.
You are mistaken if you think God has decreed that all people have unfettered access to AR-15s. The right to self-defense (which is a God-given right) is the right to act when attacked. It is not a right to stockpile weapons. It is not in the Catechism. In fact the US Bishops have supported gun control.
In the meantime, is it not better to focus on making crime illegal…
We already do. But most gun deaths are caused by law-abiding people. They were law-abiding anyway - right up to the moment they fired.
and on pouring much more effort into mental health?
Please be specific on the kind of effort you mean to pour into mental health.
Incarceration is prevention and saves the violent life for a chance at repentance.
Who are you going to incarcerate? The high school kid who makes disturbing posts on social media? Any due process there? As for incarceration in general, the US already has incarcerated a higher percentage of its population than any nation on earth, and still has one of the highest rate of gun deaths of any developed nation. And you want the incarceration rate to go even higher? It is sometimes said that insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results.
Mental health resources are simply compassion in action. Who could argue against this?
That depends on what those resources are and what you intend them to do. Be specific.
All of this may be done without oppressing peaceful citizens…
The proliferation of guns is already oppressing peaceful citizens who have to live in fear. Gun control relieves peaceful citizens of that oppression.
and without shredding one of the finest documents ever written pertaining to human liberty.
Updating a document that was designed to be updated is not shredding that document. It is honoring it.
Unless there is an ulterior motive.
You mean like the motive to sell more guns and empower the already powerful? Yeah, I could believe that is the ulterior motive of the gun lobby.

Our inner cities across America are plagued with increasingly bold violent criminals. Homicide records are being set. Nigeria has been facing the threat for some time. Their solution to violent crime is to enable the innocent to defend themselves and their communities.

And, in answer to our culture of violence, wise words from Bishop Robert Morlino† of the Diocese of Madison Wisconsin.

Last edited:
Here is what the US Conference of Catholic Bishops said about gun violence in their letter to the US Congress on June 3rd: (emphasis, mine. But by all means read the whole thing.)

Dear Senator/Representative:

Last week, an eighteen-year-old carrying an AR-15 entered an elementary school and murdered nineteen children and two teachers. Fourth graders looking forward to their final week of classes, some of whom celebrated their place on the honor roll mere hours before, were brutally and senselessly massacred. This incomprehensible tragedy at Uvalde, Texas, comes as we are still grieving the loss of innocent lives in Buffalo, Dallas, Laguna Woods, and now Tulsa. These tragedies can only bring us to one conclusion: we must unite in our humanity to stop the massacres of innocent lives.

In our own sadness and prayerfulness, we echo Pope Francis’ words that, “My heart is broken over the massacre at the primary school in Texas. I pray for the children and adults killed, and for their families.” As we continue to grieve these losses, we are reminded of the times the Gospels tell us Jesus was “moved by pity.” Moved by pity, Jesus fed the hungry (Matthew 15:32), healed the blind (Matthew 20:34), and comforted the widow whose only son had died (Luke 7:13).

We urge all members of Congress to reflect on the compassion all of you undoubtedly feel in light of
these tragic events and be moved to action because of it. There is something deeply wrong with a culture where these acts of violence are increasingly common. There must be dialogue followed by concrete action to bring about a broader social renewal that addresses all aspects of the crisis, including mental health, the state of families, the valuation of life, the influence of entertainment and gaming industries, bullying, and the availability of firearms. Among the many steps toward addressing this endemic of violence is the passage of reasonable gun control measures. In this, we implore you to join the Holy Father who, in his continued expression of grief over the tragedy in Texas, declared, “It is time to say ‘no more’ to the indiscriminate trafficking of weapons.”

Although much more work will be necessary to address the root causes of gun violence, we encourage
you to make two incremental, but meaningful, improvements in the firearm background check process by voting in favor of the Bipartisan Background Checks Act of 2021 (H.R. 8) and the Enhanced Background Checks Act of 2021 (H.R. 1446)\ . We have also spoken favorably of extreme risk protection orders and support the passage of the Federal Extreme Risk Protection Order Act of 2021 (H.R. 2377).

Pope Francis has warned many times that we live “in a world marked by a ‘globalization of indifference’
which makes us slowly inured to the suffering of others and closed in on ourselves.” As he had also said, in his address to a joint meeting of the U.S. Congress in 2015, “Here we have to ask ourselves: Why are deadly weapons being sold to those who plan to inflict untold suffering on individuals and society? Sadly, the answer, as we all know, is simply for money: money that is drenched in blood, often innocent blood.” In the ten years since the massacre of children at Sandy Hook, very little has been done by Congress to regulate these weapons and prevent another catastrophe. We urgently call on members of Congress to work together in a bipartisan fashion to make these horrific attacks less likely to happen again.

For many years, the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops has supported a number of reasonable measures to address the problem of gun violence and continues to support efforts by the U.S. Congress to advance these policies in legislation. It should not be the case that in the United States, a person needs character references to apply for a job but not to purchase military-style assault weapons. We support a total ban on assault weapons and limitations on civilian access to high-capacity weapons and ammunition magazines. Data show that limitations on high-capacity magazines can reduce the number of people killed in mass shootings by as much at 38%, and those injured by as much as 77%. We also support measures that control the sale and use of firearms, such as universal background checks for all gun purchases. We ask that Congress pass a federal law to criminalize gun trafficking. This is of particular importance since the United States not only suffers from domestic gun violence but is a major international exporter of weapons. Finally, the USCCB also supports recent proposals to set a more appropriate minimum age for gun ownership, and to ban ’bump stocks.’

While strengthened gun laws could reduce mass-casualty events, not even the most effective gun laws, by themselves, will suffice to address the roots of these violent attacks in our country. We need to
acknowledge that “the weakening of the family… poses a threat to the mature growth of individuals, the
cultivation of community values, and the moral progress of cities and countries.” Many of the perpetrators of mass violence in schools have experienced childhood trauma including familial instability and suffering or witnessing physical abuse, emotional abuse, or substance abuse. As we said in our pastoral statement Confronting a Culture of Violence, “We have to address simultaneously declining family life and the increasing availability of deadly weapons…” We, therefore, in addition to seeking for all manner of policies be crafted to encourage cultivation of strong family life, call for improved access to and increases in resources for mental health care and earlier interventions. We also encourage peacebuilding in our communities through restorative justice models.

Bipartisanship is never more important than when it is required to protect life and end the culture of
death. We invite you to support these measures and to be part of building up the culture of life that is so needed in our society, not just as elected officials but as mothers and fathers, grandparents, and aunts and uncles of little children or teachers whom you expect to return home safely today.

Sincerely,
Most Reverend Paul S. Coakley,
Most Reverend Salvatore J. Cordileone
Most Reverend Thomas A. Daly
Most Reverend William E. Lori

OK. So? Is not the USCCB far better off addressing the spiritual aspects of violence? Trying to legislate the devil out of existence has failed, is failing and will fail. He will incite the suicidal to murder and the murderer will find the way.

If the age of firearms ownership is raised, so then must the age to vote or serve in the military be raised. Do we really think that will have any lasting effect?

The problem is cultural loss of hope which leads to suicidal ideation and as we know: suicidal = homicidal. Mass murder is mass suicide done by one perpetrator. So, how do we step up and stop these train wrecks before they act? How do we get the hopeless and suicidal the help they need?

Is the only solution to massively increase governmental power and blanket restrictions on the law abiding?

The left will get their gun laws. And crime will once again increase. Facts are facts, but we never let facts get in the way of social crusading. What does the left want? It seems they desire more assault, robbery, rape and murder as long as they feel good about it and their power is increased.

America is on the verge of collapse and government cannot help us; it will not help us. Great time to disarm the peaceful and enable the violent. It will be a bloodbath - it already is.

But, you’ve made your point.

OK. So? Is not the USCCB far better off addressing the spiritual aspects of violence?
Our bishops are addressing both the spiritual aspects and the legal aspects of gun violence.
Trying to legislate the devil out of existence has failed…
Nevertheless, we are charged with opposing evil as best we can.
If the age of firearms ownership is raised, so then must the age to vote or serve in the military be raised.
There is no law that forces those age limits to be the same.
The problem is cultural loss of hope which leads to suicidal ideation and as we know: suicidal = homicidal. Mass murder is mass suicide done by one perpetrator. So, how do we step up and stop these train wrecks before they act?
By making it harder to get the weapons that they use.
How do we get the hopeless and suicidal the help they need?
I have lots of ideas, but they are all liberal ideas, so you probably don’t want to hear them.
Is the only solution to massively increase governmental power and blanket restrictions on the law abiding?
The kind of limits that I have in mind would not be a “massive” restriction on the law-abiding. Remember, most mass murders were law-abiding, right up to the moment they pulled the trigger. So yes, we need to limit the law-abiding.
The left will get their gun laws. And crime will once again increase.
Gun laws do not cause crime. Means, motive, and opportunity do. Gun laws reduces the means. Social programs reduce the motive.
Facts are facts, but we never let facts get in the way of social crusading.
You mean like the fact that the US has more guns per capita than any developed nation on earth, and has a higher rate of gun deaths than any developed nation on earth except for Brazil? Certainly don’t let those facts get in the way of defending gun rights.

America is on the verge of collapse and government cannot help us; it will not help us. Great time to disarm the peaceful and enable the violent. It will be a bloodbath - it already is.
You are failing to recognise this as the war mongers tenet. The thinking of someone who sees peace as hopelessness. The arms industry sells that very well for the sake of their massive profits.

In peaceful cultures we don’t live by “kill or be killed” and that isn’t passed by osmosis into the worldview of young men who while they may go off the rails at some point, aren’t permitted by the tenet to “kill or be killed”.

You are failing to see that there is a toxic worldview manifest in the US gun culture that other cultures resist for the goal of peace. A very biblical goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back