being totally honest and looking at my table, a stack of diabetes guides and diet books. did you know there is absolutely no consensus among the experts (the ones with the thickest books with the most footnotes and longest bibiographies) about the proper diet for Type 1 or 2?
The impressive lists given for spiritual reading remind me of me about 10 years ago, before I found that reading stack to depressing, as representing the knowledge and wisdom I will probably never get to. In my general effort to declutter I decided to follow the Holy Rule of St. Benedict and read only one book at a time, focus on that book, read it slowly and contemplatively, and put everything else back on the shelf. Preferably this should be a book recommended by one’s superior or director, so when I get one from a similar source, I read that first.
Steve Ray’s book on John’s gospel took an entire year but worth every minute.
It also took nearly a year to work slowly through such books as
Time Management for Catholics by Dave Durand, fully implementing each step.
The Benedictine Toolbox, implementing the steps, some of which I am already doing as an oblate, but learning to do them better and more faithfully.
Tools Matter for the Spiritual Life by Margaret Funk OSB. I have worked through this book twice, 10 years apart, taking about 6 months each time.
faster is not better when it comes to spiritual reading.