B
bankerdavid
Guest
Because we were not originally married in the presence of a priest.I don’t get it, why would living with your wife be living in sin?
Because we were not originally married in the presence of a priest.I don’t get it, why would living with your wife be living in sin?
I don’t think it matters with respect to Protestant marriages. I take it that one or the two of you had been Catholic and you married without the blessing of the Church?Because we were not originally married in the presence of a priest.
My wife was/is Catholic, divorced, remarried me, got an annullment. We got married in a courthouse.I don’t think it matters with respect to Protestant marriages. I take it that one or the two of you had been Catholic and you married without the blessing of the Church?
I see now. Thanks.My wife was/is Catholic, divorced, remarried me, got an annullment. We got married in a courthouse.
Thanks Stephanie. I contacted them pretty early on and they have been very helpful. I listen to Journey Home via podcast and never miss one!The Coming Home Network may be of interest to you. It’s associated with Marcus Grodi of EWTN’s The Journey Home program.
I’m sooooooo sorry, Nancy!!! I should have suggested that you discuss this with your husband!If this interests you, discuss it with your wife and with a Catholic pastor.
Thanks Loy. I have heard of this but haven’t broached the subject with my husband (I’m the wife in this scenarioIn many cases couples whose marriages are not recognized by the Church are permitted to cohabit without the stain of sin as long as they agree to abstain from sexual activity. This is euphemistically called living together “as brother and sister”. If the annulment is granted, sexual activity may resume after your marriage is recognized by the Church.
This is totally incorrect.I think you’re worried about being able to receive Eucharist at Easter Vigil. If you go to confession prior to Easter Vigil, the priest should hear that you’re going through the Annulment process, and you’re confessing your divorce. You should still be allowed to receive Eucharist at Easter.
God Bless.
Thanks for the clarification.This is totally incorrect.
First, we don’t know yet whether the annulment will be granted. Nobody - not even the members of the Tribunal - know what the outcome is going to be - if they did, they wouldn’t even bother with a trial; they’d just make a ruling.
If it isn’t granted, then she will not be eligible to receive the Sacraments until at least one of her husbands dies, and she is in a valid marriage with the other.
The order of events is this;
- Receive the Declaration of Nullity or if it is denied, wait until one of her husbands dies.
- Go to Confession.
- Enter into a valid marriage with the still-living husband. (This can be done in a very short, very quiet ceremony in the priest’s office - it takes about 10 minutes.)
- Receive the Sacraments of Initiation, and begin to live the Catholic life.
Yes this is how I understood it to be. I don’t expect to be received into the church until this issue is resolved.This is totally incorrect.
First, we don’t know yet whether the annulment will be granted. Nobody - not even the members of the Tribunal - know what the outcome is going to be - if they did, they wouldn’t even bother with a trial; they’d just make a ruling.
If it isn’t granted, then she will not be eligible to receive the Sacraments until at least one of her husbands dies, and she is in a valid marriage with the other.
The order of events is this;
- Receive the Declaration of Nullity or if it is denied, wait until one of her husbands dies.
- Go to Confession.
- Enter into a valid marriage with the still-living husband. (This can be done in a very short, very quiet ceremony in the priest’s office - it takes about 10 minutes.)
- Receive the Sacraments of Initiation, and begin to live the Catholic life.
When one is in this touchy situation, what happens when you are outlived by your spouse?This is totally incorrect.
First, we don’t know yet whether the annulment will be granted. Nobody - not even the members of the Tribunal - know what the outcome is going to be - if they did, they wouldn’t even bother with a trial; they’d just make a ruling.
If it isn’t granted, then she will not be eligible to receive the Sacraments until at least one of her husbands dies, and she is in a valid marriage with the other.
The order of events is this;
- Receive the Declaration of Nullity or if it is denied, wait until one of her husbands dies.
- Go to Confession.
- Enter into a valid marriage with the still-living husband. (This can be done in a very short, very quiet ceremony in the priest’s office - it takes about 10 minutes.)
- Receive the Sacraments of Initiation, and begin to live the Catholic life.
Ideally, one would receive the Sacraments on one’s death bed.When one is in this touchy situation, what happens when you are outlived by your spouse?
No real life situation. Just curious. You’d think some type of accomodation would need to be made.Ideally, one would receive the Sacraments on one’s death bed.
But I believe that God knows the intentions of the heart, and if the intent to be a Catholic was there, then the person would be Catholic at the time of the Judgement - along the same lines as Baptism of Desire, I should think. (That’s just my personal opinion - if this is a real life situation, then you want to contact a priest and speak to him in confidence, to get specific information concerning your particular situation.)
God provides whatever we lack - the truly sincere will always make it. Nobody dies without God knowing about it, and having His own plan in place for that person.No real life situation. Just curious. You’d think some type of accomodation would need to be made.
I do not understand why this option is not more commonly discussed. I find it astounding that people who allegedly accept the Catholic Church’s teaching take it as a matter of course that they are going to continue having intercourse but will not receive communion until the Church annuls the previous marriage. Since in principle the second marriage is adulterous, wouldn’t it be obvious that one should not have intercourse unless and until the annulment is granted. I know that this would be horribly tough, but in some circumstances the rules on birth control might result in the same situation. And of course persons with exclusively homosexual inclinations are expected to be celibate.Crosstimbers,
With regard to your pending annulment, here is some food for thought: you might be able to receive the eucharist before your annulment is granted.
In many cases couples whose marriages are not recognized by the Church are permitted to cohabit without the stain of sin as long as they agree to abstain from sexual activity. This is euphemistically called living together “as brother and sister”. If the annulment is granted, sexual activity may resume after your marriage is recognized by the Church.
If this interests you, discuss it with your wife and with a Catholic pastor.
Godspeed!
I think your sig-line tells you precisely what to do:This is a long post, but I would really appreciate some feedback.
I am a former Episcopalian who began investigating Catholism last summer when the Episcopal church accelerated its slide into apostasy. I joined …
{snip}
…But here is my dilemma: I feel terribly guilty about leaving my fledgling Anglican church. Right now I’m attending Saturday Mass and the Anglican service on Sunday. At what point is it time for me to leave?
Thanks