7
7_Sorrows
Guest
+1It is not allowed to make so much sense, in addressing these issues.
In certain places.
+1It is not allowed to make so much sense, in addressing these issues.
In certain places.
I don’t remember any civil rights leaders speaking out against the Confederate monuments, but I was a teenager at the time and certainly didn’t follow all the news of the day.I am not opposed to the confederate monuments and statues being taken down, but then again I am not a (White) Southerner. On another thread, I stated that this whole business seems to me a distraction from some of the real problems facing the country, and I stand by that view. Symbolism may be important but constructive action even more so.
I am also curious concerning whether these confederate monuments were the subject of opposition during the civil rights era of the 1960’s by leaders such as MLK, Malcolm X, and the like? I don’t recall they were but I might have forgotten. Or are the protests a rather new development?
On a similar note and not because of anything I have read or heard… is this racial unrest the type of thing that Jeremiah Wright preached in his church? You know, or maybe have heard how he kept saying G-- Damn America… Was it for this type of thing like Civil War Statues??? Just wondering…I am not opposed to the confederate monuments and statues being taken down, but then again I am not a (White) Southerner. On another thread, I stated that this whole business seems to me a distraction from some of the real problems facing the country, and I stand by that view. Symbolism may be important but constructive action even more so.
I am also curious concerning whether these confederate monuments were the subject of opposition during the civil rights era of the 1960’s by leaders such as MLK, Malcolm X, and the like? I don’t recall they were but I might have forgotten. Or are the protests a rather new development?
How does that make sense? The CSA didn’t need to fight to preserve slavery. They already had it and it wasn’t going to end immediately. They needed to fight to preserve their independence.I didn’t say the Union fought the war to end slavery, but it is clear the CSA fought to preserve it.
There is a continuity Leaf. The Republican Party was the party formed to oppose slavery and government legislating according to race.More importantly for today, who are the people who put up those monuments? They are the people who were Southern Democrats when Republicans were for equal rights, and became Republicans in the 1960s when the Democrats were for equal rights. There is no ideological continuity between the nominal political parties in the South before 1950 and the political parties after 1970. So your observation has no relevance to political parties of today.
The poster implied that the majority of civil war statues were erected by “nobody” groups like Daughters of the Confederate Veterans “100yrs” after the fact and had nothing to do with the actual veterans. I was pointing out that this has virtually no connection to the truth, as the majority of the statues were erected in the lifetime of veterans and were sponsored by groups such as Daughters of Confederate Veterans who were, unsurprisingly, daughters of confederate veterans. What this has to do with one particular statue of Nathan Bedford Forrest, I don’t know. Certainly these groups, like the majority of the US population at the time, believed in racial nonsense like white supremacy. People are products of their times, and today that is no longer the case.Bro.
Are you really going to defend the group that erected a statue of a KKK member? I don’t care Who they’re descended from. You put up a statue of Nathan Forrest and you’re done.
Opposition to the Vietnam memorial was based on its design, not by “CSA types”, whatever that means. Many people felt a solid black wall was nihilistic and did not honor the dead as a more traditional memorial would. The White House very nearly revoked the permit. After it was built, people changed their minds and felt it was a worthy remembrance. The concern was that the memorial would paint them as oppressors, not patriots.I did answer, and I will again. All of our Vietnam veterans, including John McCain (who then-candidate Trump attacked by name because he was POW), are heroes and patriots who fought for - not against - U.S. interests. Shame on anyone who would compare our heroic Vietnam veterans to CSA traitors.
And again, I will point out that Maya Lin (an Asian artist) designed the Wall in Washington, D.C., and she faced a lot of opposition - not surprisingly, from CSA types - to get that wall built for our Vietnam veterans.
I don’t think Senator McCain, a true patriot and statesman, ever got an apology from Trump for attacking him. Please answer that, runningdude. Do you agree with attacking Vietnam POW’s? It doesn’t get any more un-American and un-patriotic than that.
To recap:
Our Vietnam veterans - all heroes - were pro-America
The CSA losers - no heroes - were anti-America
Including independence concerning slavery. Their documents tell us they were established for the purpose of maintaining slavery. I see no reason not to believe that.How does that make sense? The CSA didn’t need to fight to preserve slavery. They already had it and it wasn’t going to end immediately. They needed to fight to preserve their independence.
It is hateful because there is a new target group for your hatred.Confederate monuments do represent an ideology, and it’s a hateful analogy.
I agree with you but Democrats cannot continue to play the deplorable card and not be challenged. You can’t have even moderates like Joe Biden who say Republicans ‘will have y’all back in chains’ when addressing a black audience.The Republican Party today is not the Republican Party of Lincoln or Thaddeus Stephens. And today’s Democratic Party is not the party of Jefferson Davis or George Wallace. Heck, the Democratic Party of today isn’t even the same party it was in 1963 and JFK. We cannot sit here today and say “democrats support racism and slavery” .
You are cherry-picking issues dear to you and stretching points to make this point. The argument reminds me of Harold Hill’s argument against pool in the Music Man.There is a continuity Leaf. The Republican Party was the party formed to oppose slavery and government legislating according to race.
They fought a war in opposition to this.
The Republican Party still stands for that.
It is the Democratic Party that has always been the Party of identity politics. The fact that their race preference has changed doesn’t change that fact.
Today’s talk of white privilege and white guilt and affirmative action and race based quotas etc is still separation, demonisation and government legislation by race.
It is divisive, unfair and authoritarian and the Republicans are still opposed to it.
That car was only played once, and the one who played it realized her mistake and apologized almost immediately.I agree with you but Democrats cannot continue to play the deplorable card and not be challenged.
So you believe:I am pointing out the democrats aren’t as innocent as many would like people to believe.
This is a thread about confederate monuments, not a place for drawn out general discussions about political parties.and you are ignoring facts without proper rebuttal.
I believe he was an “Imperial Wizard” or some such rank. Yet he became “The conscience of the senate” psha.Wasn’t Robert Byrd, the senator, a member of the KKK?
The democrats seemed to be a friend of him.
No Leaf, that card has been played so many times that it has been self internalised by Democrats.That car was only played once, and the one who played it realized her mistake and apologized almost immediately.
How many times does it need to be repeated.I agree with you but Democrats cannot continue to play the deplorable card and not be challenged. You can’t have even moderates like Joe Biden who say Republicans ‘will have y’all back in chains’ when addressing a black audience.
You also cannot have Democrats playing the virtue signalling game of wanting ‘monuments of hate’ being torn down without admitting it was them that put them up and then failing to not only ask forgiveness but quite a few explanations.
Democrats also have some soul searching to do with their “identity politics equality agenda” which bases law on interpretations of history and race without coming clean on the fact that it was their party that needs to do the apologising for such things.
To lead people to believe it is the other ‘deplorable’ party that are to blame is slanderous and cowardly. It malevolently perpetuates division.
Millions of poor white people flocked to the east coast of America because giant steps forward in technology and mortality rates allowed them to do so. Many probably did not even know black people existed. As you say, they were part of a group who joined the Republican Party and fought against slavery. In no shape and form are these people to blame for slavery. In no shape and form do they owe black Americans anything above what they owe other Americans. In fact it is a great unsung story of what these poor whites did. A story that cannot be told by political correctness.
For the Democratic Party, who were the party of slavery to still be using divisive race politics to argue they are not only worthy of praise, but shameful disdain is, well, really deplorable.
The Inconvenient Truth about the Democratic Party.
The South and Slavery
The Fascist Left of Hitler’s Nazis