where did we get the bible?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Odell
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
  1. As far as the Bible is concerned, were taught that the Bible was written by men, inspired by God. And somewheres, somehow, it all got put together nicely in a book
Maybe I should have phrased that better. It wasn’t taught from the pulpits…or at least not that I can recall from any seromon - this is just what my parents told us when the topic came up…which was rarely. Personally, I don’t think they knew or know now and basically gave us this answer hoping we would just accept it as fact and stop pestering 😉

And yeah…the “It is, what it is” - that would have been the final say on the matter had we pushed for more of an explanation 🙂
 
I challenge you to defend this. 😦

-Michael (former Baptist)
you changed your signature!

Just got back from Tues. nite RCIA. How refreshing to share with those who DESIRE to join the Catholic Church. They have gotten past all the logistic argumentation and just want to receive Jesus in the Eucharist. And here I stand, searching for an argument for the Truth in which I already believe. Such a mystery!
 
you changed your signature!

Just got back from Tues. nite RCIA. How refreshing to share with those who DESIRE to join the Catholic Church. They have gotten past all the logistic argumentation and just want to receive Jesus in the Eucharist. And here I stand, searching for an argument for the Truth in which I already believe. Such a mystery!
Fine, no one wants to shake my hand. Well, now I just don’t care anymore. Adios!
 
you changed your signature!
I did nothing of the such! I added that to lend weight to my message.
Just got back from Tues. nite RCIA. How refreshing to share with those who DESIRE to join the Catholic Church. They have gotten past all the logistic argumentation and just want to receive Jesus in the Eucharist. And here I stand, searching for an argument for the Truth in which I already believe. Such a mystery!
I ask you, my new-found friend, which is better? Witnessing to the convinced, or to the questioning? Your kindness means much.
 
I did nothing of the such! I added that to lend weight to my message.

I ask you, my new-found friend, which is better? Witnessing to the convinced, or to the questioning? Your kindness means much.
And to you, my new-found friend, witnessing to the convinced is quite humbling.
 
When you find the Baptist who wrote the Bible! 👍

Ugh!

Even as a Protestant for more than half of my life, this statement makes my head spin. :confused: :confused: :confused:
It’s obvious the early christians were baptists. What do you call John, then?👍 :rolleyes: 👍
 
I voted “none of the above”. This is because of the wording of the poll.

God the Holy Spirit gave us the Scriptures.

The Catholic Church however, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, determined what books were to be Scripture and which books were not to be scripture.

The source of the Scriptures, as to how this poll is worded, is not the Church. The Church is the vehicle or instrument through which the Holy Spirit has worked to provide us with Scripture.

The Catholic Church indeed is the instrument that God has used to put together all the books of Scripture into this volume called “The Bible”.

Ken
 
It’s obvious the early christians were baptists. What do you call John, then?👍 :rolleyes: 👍
Personally, I thought (err…assumed) that he was called John the Baptist because of the numerous baptism he performed, including that of Jesus’.

Wasn’t the Baptist Church founded in the 16th century? Someone pls correct me if I’m wrong…my history lessons in school were minimal 😉

Also, just because both ‘John the Baptist’ and the ‘Baptist Church’ share the same word “baptist”, doesn’t make early Christians Baptist!! Especially because most of what the Bible teaches and what the Baptist Church teaches are two different things.

I’m convince that if John the Baptist had been going around preaching to the early Christians, what the Baptist Church now teaches, Jesus would have put a stop to it pretty quickly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top