Where is Catholicism in the Bible?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Allan1972
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t see it anywhere. And if it’s not in the bible, its false doctrine.

This is an over simplistic view of Scripture. Just because the word isn’t there i.e., Trinity doesn’t mean the concept isn’t.
There are lots of words that aren’t in the Bible, e.g., incarnation, original sin, Trinity, Bible, Sunday School, hypostatic union, but these are accepted by Protestants save original sin with some.
In the Bible, there is no mention of Pope,
 
I wouldn’t hold my breath.
I still think it’s a touch-n-go and hoping I’m wrong.
His “undecided” on his religion is my only source of any hope at all.
But his singular dogmatic post does not seem to support an undecided posture.
I declare Allan1972 AWOL & a touch-n-go.
He’s been 2 days under water.:cool:
We’re all talkin to each other
 
I don’t see it anywhere. And if it’s not in the bible, its false doctrine. In the Bible, there is no mention of Pope, Bishop, or Mass, or most of things that Catholics talk about. Who was greater? Jesus or Peter. Who’s greater Jesus or the Pope? Who’s greater Jesus or Mary? Even Paul said for people to stop following Peter, Paul, or John, but to follow Jesus. Jesus didn’t say anything about Peter being the foundation of the Catholic Church, but the rock of God’s Church. I challenge Catholics to think about why they believe what they believe and try to back it up with the King James Version of the Bible. Everything else is just false doctrine or heresy.
You might want to check out this website, which was formerly called “Biblical Defense of Catholicism”. It contains very thorough explanations of the biblical basis for Catholic teaching:
socrates58.blogspot.com/2006/07/books-by-dave-armstrong-biblical.html
 
I don’t see it anywhere. And if it’s not in the bible, its false doctrine. In the Bible, there is no mention of Pope, Bishop, or Mass, or most of things that Catholics talk about. Who was greater? Jesus or Peter. Who’s greater Jesus or the Pope? Who’s greater Jesus or Mary? Even Paul said for people to stop following Peter, Paul, or John, but to follow Jesus. Jesus didn’t say anything about Peter being the foundation of the Catholic Church, but the rock of God’s Church. I challenge Catholics to think about why they believe what they believe and try to back it up with the King James Version of the Bible. Everything else is just false doctrine or heresy.
**
“The Catholic Church” (Greek: katholikos ekklesia) developed from Acts 9:31 “the Church throughout all” (Greek: ekklesia kath olos).**
 
I see he posted the same thing at the Catholic Online Forum. He did make one or two posts in response there but then seems to have disappeared.
 
I don’t see it anywhere. And if it’s not in the bible, its false doctrine. In the Bible, there is no mention of Pope, Bishop, or Mass, or most of things that Catholics talk about. Who was greater? Jesus or Peter. Who’s greater Jesus or the Pope? Who’s greater Jesus or Mary? Even Paul said for people to stop following Peter, Paul, or John, but to follow Jesus. Jesus didn’t say anything about Peter being the foundation of the Catholic Church, but the rock of God’s Church. I challenge Catholics to think about why they believe what they believe and try to back it up with the King James Version of the Bible. Everything else is just false doctrine or heresy.
Where does the Bible teach that everything that we are to believe is explicitly stated, termed and defined in the Bible?
 
Guys! Church Militant is right: Catholic IS in the Bible!

Acts 9:31. There is no need for “Where is the word Trinity?” (yet :)) Unless our guest wants to try the silly “my KJV corrects your original Greek manuscript” approach, he needs to concede this point that the actual word “Catholic” does indeed appear in Scripture. Of course one may argue that the translation of it, “the whole church” does not mean the Church as we know it today. But that is another argument isn’t it?

Scott
 
Alan?

I see that you have visited and probably read some of the posts, why not respond?

We might be friendly, you never know…

God Bless
Scylla
 
I got preoccupied with another site for a while.
NotWorthy
Our Holy Mother Church
what do you mean by holy mother church?
I heard someone say that catholics they don’t worhip mary, but I wen to one website where they had prayers to mary which is pretty much the same thing.

do catholics still have priests? If they do, I don’t see why they do. In the new testament, jesus was called the high priest, and that’s all I know about.

Someone tell me what they think is better than the KJV.
I refer to KJV because it is the most accurate english version.
as far as religion is concerned, I’m a christian.

someone askedy why something has to be in the bible to be good doctrine. I think its pretty easy to understand that Jesus is the Word. And if its not in his word, its not true.

djrakowski
Senior Member
The Church has heard everything you’ve said over the past 500 years since the Reformation
I don’t know what you’re talking about, i haven’t been around that long.

some of you keep asking about things like trinity and other words I haven’t even mentioned.
 
You could give the Douay Rheims a shot (in its English translation). Find it on-line here … . www.drbo.org

I know you’ve just come back on but people have answered things you asked about.

“Bishops” are indeed in the Bible, as are deacons. High priests and priests are there too. Pope–well, that just means “Papa”, and reflects the “fatherly” care that the Pope holds in, just as Christ told Peter, “shepherding the flock–feed my lambs, feed my sheep.” Fathers and shepherds are certainly in the Bible. So are stewards (the Pope is a steward). Why, even “pastor” is not “in the Bible” as a word though I’m sure you don’t have any trouble in accepting a ‘pastor’ in your church.

So you see, your premise from the start, that “most of the things Catholic teach aren’t in the Bible”–is shown to be a false premise. Everything Catholics teach is found “in the Bible” and in Sacred Tradition (you know, the Holy Spirit and His teachings which enabled us to put the Bible together in the first place back at the end of the 4th century AD, about 350 years after the Resurrection). Nothing that Sacred Tradition puts forth is ‘contrary’ to Scripture; nothing that Scripture says contradicts tradition.

That is why we consider Catholicism the “fullness of the Christian faitih”. After all, we were all Catholics to start with, right? There were no Episcopalians, Lutherans, Baptists, Assembly of God, etc. in the time of the apostles onward. Only Catholic Christians, then those who became our Orthodox brethren in 1054 AD, and then our Protestant brothers and sisters who started from around 1519 AD (Luther), the 1530s (Episcopal), the 1540s (Calvin, Knox) and so on and on.
 
I got preoccupied with another site for a while.
what do you mean by holy mother church?
do catholics still have priests? If they do, I don’t see why they do. In the new testament, jesus was called the high priest, and that’s all I know about.
We have priests. Jesus is the high priest and he uses priest as his instrument to minister the sacrament of reconciliation. Priest are mention in the Bible. James 5:14 - the presbyters (priests) are called to anoint the sick with oil and pray over them. Their sins are forgiven. This is the sacrament of the sick, also called extreme unction.
Someone tell me what they think is better than the KJV.
I refer to KJV because it is the most accurate english version.
as far as religion is concerned, I’m a christian.
The KJV is not the only Bible. I have three Bibles, the Douy Rheim Bible (written before the KJV, DRB written in 1609), the RSV BIble, and the NAB.

I do prefer the DRB and the RSV Bible. DRB has the same style as the KJV.
someone askedy why something has to be in the bible to be good doctrine. I think its pretty easy to understand that Jesus is the Word. And if its not in his word, its not true.
Jesus is the Word of God. The Word made flesh. The Bible is part of the written tradition and the oral tradition (unwritten), which we Catholics value both of them very well.
I don’t know what you’re talking about, i haven’t been around that long.
some of you keep asking about things like trinity and other words I haven’t even mentioned.
Catholic Church has 2,000 yrs of experience compared to Protestantism which started in 1516 during the Reformation.
 
I got preoccupied with another site for a while.
Welcome, back.
what do you mean by holy mother church?
It just another way to say Catholic Church.
I heard someone say that catholics they don’t worhip mary, but I wen to one website where they had prayers to mary which is pretty much the same thing.
No Catholics do not worship Mary! The Bible and the CCC states that worship is for God and God Alone. I understand that, it is your opinion that to pray to Mary = worship. However does the Catholic mean that they worship Mary when they ask Mary for her intercessory prayers? There are already many, many threads on intercessory prayer. Here is one of the most recent ones: forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=125442 (better to go there then to make this thread into another one about intercessory prayer, in my opinion)
do catholics still have priests? If they do, I don’t see why they do. In the new testament, jesus was called the high priest, and that’s all I know about.
You’re absolutely right Jesus Christ is the High Priest! However does the bible say he is the ONLY Priest? Our priests are only priest under the High Priest.
someone askedy why something has to be in the bible to be good doctrine. I think its pretty easy to understand that Jesus is the Word. And if its not in his word, its not true.
Your right Jesus is the Word. However the question is Jesus ONLY reviled in the Bible? Is that the only way God has given us HIS word?
some of you keep asking about things like trinity and other words I haven’t even mentioned.
Questions about the trinity were asked, because in your OP you stated you only believe things that are IN the bible. People want to know where is the Trinity mention IN the bible.
 
I just saw something that says that Mary is Queen of davidic knigdom. the same website is trying to say that mary lived in the times of Genesis.

Also, I’m sorry, but Mary is not the Mother of God. Jesus was the mother of Jesus. because if you say mother of God it sounds like you are talking about the Father. she was not the mother of the Father.
 
I just saw something that says that Mary is Queen of davidic knigdom. the same website is trying to say that mary lived in the times of Genesis.

Also, I’m sorry, but Mary is not the Mother of God. Jesus was the mother of Jesus. because if you say mother of God it sounds like you are talking about the Father. she was not the mother of the Father.
Jesus is the mother of Jesus? Was this a typo or did you mean to say that?
 
I just saw something that says that Mary is Queen of davidic knigdom. the same website is trying to say that mary lived in the times of Genesis.
Allan, welcome to the forums.
Mary is a “type” for the queen of the Davidic kingdom. She is also a “type” for Eve, the first woman. She did not live during the reign of David, nor did she live during the time of Genesis.
I’m sorry, but Mary is not the Mother of God. Jesus was the mother of Jesus.
Jesus is God, Mary is His mother, Mary is the mother of God. I will take a wild guess and say you simply mistyped “Jesus was the mother of Jesus” since that makes absolutely no sense.
 
I got preoccupied with another site for a while…
Welcome back.
what do you mean by holy mother church?I heard someone say that catholics they don’t worhip mary, but I wen to one website where they had prayers to mary which is pretty much the same thing…
Holy Mother Church has nothing to do with whether Catholics worship Mary. Holy Mother Church is simply a title for the Bride of Christ, that is “Mother” to our souls.

And no, prayers through Mary, and worshipping her, are not the “same thing.” Would you ask a friend or family member for their prayers? Or course! You may respond, “But the saints are not alive.” Yet, the Scripture tells us the saints and angels in Heaven are very much alive. Jesus said God is “not the God of the dead, but of the living, for to him all are alive” (Lk 20:38). We see this illustrated in the transfiguration where Moses and Elijah appeared to Jesus (Mt 17:1-3). How could this be if they don’t care about the world? How could this be if their souls were dead?

Furthermore, in reading the Book of Revelation, we see that those in Heaven do pray and do pay attention to the events of this world (Rev 8:4, Rev 6:9-10).

And finally, we see that “the prayer of a righteous man availeth much” (Jam 5:16). And since those united to Christ in Heaven are truly righteous, it logically follows we would ask for their prayers. We are all part of the same body of Christ.

Thus, Catholics ask for the prayers of the saints in Heaven, as we ask for the prayers of the saints on Earth. This is a far cry from worship.
do catholics still have priests? If they do, I don’t see why they do. In the new testament, jesus was called the high priest, and that’s all I know about…
The Israelites were a nation of priests, yet they had a distinct priesthood to offer sacrifices for them (The Levites). Do you not have ministers or pastors that perform special duties as your teachers or shepherds? Of course you do! In Catholicism, we take it one step further. The Priest is our shepherd in preaching the Word of God. Yet, he also shepherds us in offering (en persona Christi- In the person of Christ) the faithful the sacraments. He does not do so instead of Christ, but instead offers Christ’s one, eternal sacrifice for us. In some way, all the faithful participate in this offering. Yet, the priest does so in a unique way. Christianity wasn’t created in a vacuum. Jesus was Jewish. The priesthood is reasonable in the context of Scripture.
Someone tell me what they think is better than the KJV. I refer to KJV because it is the most accurate english version. as far as religion is concerned, I’m a christian…
I think the RSV is a much better translation than the KJV. The KJV is not the “most accurate english version.” Do you read Greek? If not, by what authority do you speak on the issue?
someone askedy why something has to be in the bible to be good doctrine. I think its pretty easy to understand that Jesus is the Word. And if its not in his word, its not true…
Jesus is the Word. Yet, Jesus was a living, breathing person, not just a story in a book. People witnessed his life. They talked about it. In the Jewish culture, much tradition was passed down orally. Why do you think that would change with the coming of Jesus? Especially when John tells us, “Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written” (Jn 21:25).

Nobody disagrees that the Bible is the “Word of God.” Yet, that does not mean the Bible ALONE is the Word of God. Paul tells us, “And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is at work in you who believe” (1 Thess 2:13). Or in other words, the “Word of God” is not merely that which is committed to writing in the Scriptures, but rather all the Apostolic teaching passed down by “word of mouth or by letter” (2 Thess 2:15).
I don’t know what you’re talking about, i haven’t been around that long.

some of you keep asking about things like trinity and other words I haven’t even mentioned.
The point is not that you stated anything about the Trinity, but rather that the mere lack of mention of a word in the Scripture does not mean that the doctrine is not implicitly there. The trinity is the perfect example, because nowhere is this word used in the Bible. In fact, it is not used anywhere in the first three centuries of Christianity. Thus, if you say the Catholic Church is false because you don’t see the word “Catholic” in the Bible, you must deny the “Trinity” based on the same logic applied consistently.
 
I just started reading the Douay-Rheims Bible, and the only difference I see so far is that it has a few more books than the KJV, but they made the mistake of calling the Holy Spirit a she in one of the other additional readings.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top