I am not sure how possible such a friendship would be if the two women also experienced sexual attraction toward each other. That likely would not be a safe person for a nonsexual, physically intimate friendship.
But why don’t you think it’s safe? Indeed, I think it’s the
safest option, provided both partners trust each other, as the significantly deeper emotional bond created also more likely leads both partners to do what’s
right for each other more than what their carnal desires would normally want.
Anyway, I read the thread, and I’ve been thinking of the parallels to the relationships that romantic asexuals share. In their case, of course, there might be no temptation at all to let things “escalate”. I’ve been thinking about it lately, and the more I think about it, the less I understand what the difference between “romantic relationship” and “platonic friendship” even is, when the possibility of marriage and sex is taken out of the equation.
Well I am not trying to hide the fact that I am most definitely a lesbian. I am not asexual; I am not incapable nor unwilling to have sex from a biological point of view. I merely abstain from a
religious point of view. I just don’t think my physical attraction to women bears any meaning to this conversation, considering my level of self control.
Yeah, but we don’t know whether what SMGS is describing is sexual at all. I think the idea is that it’s a relationship with romantic elements that is decidedly not sexual.
Yes, exactly. The romantic effects of physical touch are most certainly borne from pheromonal interaction, but they would not be aimed at ultimately achieving sex, unlike heterosexual relationships aimed for marriage. Again, the trajectories are different, and they can’t be looked at in the same light.
Exclusivity makes sense as one of the things that separates platonic friendships from romantic relationships. I could see that as a useful distinction, that someone should not feel that a person is “mine and only mine” in any sense, unless they are married to that person (or, on a lesser level, if they’re discerning marriage).
But why is exclusivity immoral? Why would 2 women calling each other their girlfriends and acting only in chaste manners be immoral (besides the potential for scandal)? I see it as an emotional commitment–a knowledge that this other woman is pledging herself to always be there for you and with you and to take care of you, and you to her. And none of this necessitates sexual involvement, nor do I see how it is immoral. On the contrary, it is taking a disordered attraction and channeling it into something (in my opinion) moral, rather than the constant repression others would have us do.
I think it is quite clear without seeking any “definition”.
And if there isn’t a reason for these things to be off-limits, then maybe what SMGS is describing isn’t actually wrong. I don’t know.
Thank you Kama. I am looking for reasons WHY exclusivity is immoral, WHY romantic bonds are immoral. I find it amazing that people can prepare a thesis defense online defending the Church’s teachings on sex, abortion, and contraception, but when an issue like this is brought up, the response is “you should know why.” Well if it’s so obvious, explain it then! Because I see literally no reason why anything I brought up is immoral, and so far, 90% of the responses against my suggestion have brought up near occasions of sin and scandal. And if those are the
only reasons against it, then what I am suggesting becomes perfectly licit, as I would not be putting myself at risk for either

. So if it is inherently immoral, explain why. If it isn’t, concede the point and
then you may discuss near occasions of sin and scandal.
I have been brought back to sanity with this comment. I will depart this thread now because it has taken me into the Twilight Zone where everything is murky and when clarity is spoken, for instance in what the Church actually teaches to Catholics, methinks that is not really the intention of this thread. Best to go to one’s confessor while pouring the heart out…there would be redemption and true understanding.
This is uncalled for. I think I have more than sufficiently demonstrated a fidelity to the Magisterium in my numerous posts on this forum. Yes, I have a bias, considering my life is impacted by the licitness of my proposal, which I have more than admitted, but it is absolutely uncalled for to suggest I want to ignore Magisterial teachings. If you wish to show me why cuddling or non-sexually making out is immoral, please actually explain. Your singular post on the immorality of sexual actions was, to be quite honest, completely irrelevant to this thread, which is discussing only non-sexual actions.