Which Bible Translation is your Favorite?

• Thread starter Thread starter Sanctus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The “New Catholic Answer Bible” NAB version. With over 80 inserts describing Catholic beliefs and the scriptural and historical reasons for those beliefs. This is a great tool for reminding us of what we believe and why, and more importantly, evangelizing people into the fullness of truth.

The KJV is reportedly the Bible version translated from the ‘Received Text,’ or the text the earliest Chrisitans used. All other versions are translated from manuscripts that had been deliberately changed (although these manuscripts are far older than any from the Received Text because through much use by Christians, the Rec. Text manuscripts wore out).

If everyone used this same old venerable Bible version, we could help each other memorize scripture, like they did in the old one-room schoolhouses and at their mothers’ knees! Personally, I won’t so much as open another version. Dictionaries are available to help with unfamiliar olde English words.

The KJV stands head and shoulders above the rest in declaring and preserving the Deity of our Lord Jesus Christ!

A note about the apochrypha: these books were written during and deal with the time between Malachi and Matthew…a time that God promised a ‘famine’ of hearing His Word (Amos 8:11-12). Since the apochrypha pertain to that 400-year period of silence, they cannot be inspired by God.

I like the KJV for it’s literary quality, I wish someone would write a Catholic version with as good literary quality. The Douay-Rheims is a good Catholic translation, although I don’t like the wording quite as much, and some of the books have different names and the Psalms beyond a certain point are numbered differently.

I just got a copy of the Ignatius Bible (RSV-CE) last week. I haven’t been able to put it down. It is not perfect by any means- no translation of the Bible is, because Latin and Greek don’t translate well into English- and I doubt Aramaic and Hebrew translated perfectly into Latin or Greek either, but it is very good. The RSV-CE reads like a good book should- the language is proper. It still uses Thee and Thou, when they are grammatically correct, which I don’t consider essential, but the language is not hard to understand at all. It is beautiful.

I’ll never read my New American Bible again- the Psalms, which are my favorite parts of the bible are HORRIBLE. I’ve noticed the lectionary Psalms look more like the RSV-CE psalms than the NAB psalms- it looks like even the USCCB couldn’t stand them. There is no poetry in the NAB Psalms- the words are just slapped on the page with little to no attention to the style of writing the Psalms are. The writers of the NAB were also concerned about “inclusive language” (evidently moreso than literary style- which is more than just aesthetics- it’s important to understand the style of writing to be able to effectively study the writing), and many of the psalms lost significant Messianic and Marian references. Here’s an example from Psalm 116:

RSV-CE “I am thy servant, the son of thy handmaid, Thou hast loosed my bonds.”

NAB: “I am your servant, your chosen one, you have set me free.”

The servant here is Jesus, as is obvious by reading the RSV-CE translation, and the handmaid is Mary (which is ignored in the NAB translation- maybe it’s “not ecumenical enough”- who knows?). In the Magnificat, mary says “behold the HANDMAID of the Lord”. I’m sure the bible mentions handmaids elsewhere, but Jesus and Mary are the most well-known people of the bible who would fit this prophesy.

I wish Ignatius would print leatherbound bibles (the covers on hardback books get torn up fast- that’s why some schools make you put book covers on textbooks), more space for notes, and thicker pages- I’ll be amazed if I go a month without tearing one- and knowing me, it’ll be a page with verses on it that I really like.

I just got the Navarre New Testament compact edition…It’s wonderful… 👍

Am I the only one who can’t stand to read the Bible like it is in plain modern english? I have no idea how my grandpa can honsetly read his Bible. It drives me nuts! Bibles, to me, are sacred: even my study version is (was; really: I realized that it has Baptist commentary and now am looking for a good KJV) a King James Versionw ith thee’s, thou’s ye’s, yea’s, unto’s, ect. To me that is how it should be. Instead of saying “The LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer, the LORD of hosts says: I am the First and last, and beside me there is no God.” I perfer, no, WANT it to say: “Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.” It sounds much more holy.

There is nothing wrong with that. I myself was brought
up on the KJV, and most of the Bible I have memorized
is from the KJV. But today I pick up a KJV Bible only
about once or twice a year. I do prefer a modern
English translation for reading (e.g. NIV, NLT) and a
modern English “word for word” translation for Bible
Study (e.g. NASB, ESV).

I just sometimes pick up the KJV for the more poetic
reading.
40.png
Chazemataz:
Am I the only one who can’t stand to read the Bible like it is in plain modern english? I have no idea how my grandpa can honsetly read his Bible. It drives me nuts! Bibles, to me, are sacred: even my study version is (was; really: I realized that it has Baptist commentary and now am looking for a good KJV) a King James Versionw ith thee’s, thou’s ye’s, yea’s, unto’s, ect. To me that is how it should be. Instead of saying “The LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer, the LORD of hosts says: I am the First and last, and beside me there is no God.” I perfer, no, WANT it to say: “Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.” It sounds much more holy.

Hi,

I have a quick question about the NIV. I’ve read in a few places that some parts of the NIV are rather slanted and biased and were not translated correctly. Is this true? Does anybody have any information about this? I’m not sure what my favourite Bible translation is; I’m still looking for what works best for me. However, I want to read one that is approved by the Church.

Thanks for your help,
David

40.png
David123:
Hi,

I have a quick question about the NIV. I’ve read in a few places that some parts of the NIV are rather slanted and biased and were not translated correctly. Is this true? Does anybody have any information about this? I’m not sure what my favourite Bible translation is; I’m still looking for what works best for me. However, I want to read one that is approved by the Church.

Thanks for your help,
David
Actually the NIV is quite an accurate translation from the original Greek and Hebrew. What most people don’t know is that the NIV is a “dynamic” translation (a translation that relays the original thought of the writers) and not a “formal” translation (a more word for word translation like the NASB, ESV, KJV).

The NIV is well translated and I highly recommend that translation to anyone new to reading the Bible!

Another dynamic translation would be the NLT (New Living Translation) and that is also a good translation, but not a good as the NIV.

Dynamic translations to stay away from are ones like “The Living Bible” (TLB) or “The Message”.

I read the NIV like I would read a book, and the more formal translations I use for serious Bible studies! 👍

40.png
Ric:
Actually the NIV is quite an accurate translation from the original Greek and Hebrew. What most people don’t know is that the NIV is a “dynamic” translation (a translation that relays the original thought of the writers) and not a “formal” translation (a more word for word translation like the NASB, ESV, KJV).

The NIV is well translated and I highly recommend that translation to anyone new to reading the Bible!

Another dynamic translation would be the NLT (New Living Translation) and that is also a good translation, but not a good as the NIV.

Dynamic translations to stay away from are ones like “The Living Bible” (TLB) or “The Message”.

I read the NIV like I would read a book, and the more formal translations I use for serious Bible studies! 👍
You’ll find that the Revised Standard Version: Catholic Edition (RSV:CE) is the one most touted on this board. It is a great translation, I would highly recommend it.

The NIV doesn’t contain the Deuterocanonicals. So I can’t recommend it, as Catholics regard it as incomplete scripture.

I use the Cambride edition Authorised Verion, commonly not called the King James Verion. it is possedded of the deuterocannon, called apocpryha, in a middle section. Its accuracy is spended, and, as I grew up with it, I udnerstand it perfectly. The languate isnt dated to me at all. ( I also perfeclty understand Shakespee, so their…)

However, above it, I use the Hebrew origional Mesoratic text. I can also read Hebrew.

40.png
DJorourke:
You’ll find that the Revised Standard Version: Catholic Edition (RSV:CE) is the one most touted on this board. It is a great translation, I would highly recommend it.

The NIV doesn’t contain the Deuterocanonicals. So I can’t recommend it, as Catholics regard it as incomplete scripture.
The RSV is an okay translation, I have a few copies on my shelf. But as for the Apocrypha, it is not Scripture. 😉

40.png
ZAROVE:
I use the Cambride edition Authorised Verion, commonly not called the King James Verion. it is possedded of the deuterocannon, called apocpryha, in a middle section. Its accuracy is spended, and, as I grew up with it, I udnerstand it perfectly. The languate isnt dated to me at all. ( I also perfeclty understand Shakespee, so their…)

However, above it, I use the Hebrew origional Mesoratic text. I can also read Hebrew.
Awesome!
I also can read and translate Hebrew and Greek. 👍 It’s a good asset with reading my Interlinear Bibles!

40.png
Sanctus:
Ok, I know it has been discussed elsewhere that people use several versions of the Bible-one for reference-and one for reading but what is your favorite? Possibly the one you think best incorporates accuracy and readibility.

This should be intresting!

God Bless,

Any translation cobbled together by me 😃

I like what I have seen of the NKJV. ##

40.png
David123:
Hi,

Thanks for your help,
David

this: bible-researcher.com/niv.html

I own a Jerusalem Bible, Study edition. However if I could get my hands on one the Douay Rheims has got to be the best. With classical English we can’t go wrong.

Since my last posts in these forums on Scripture I have been doing some re-evaluations on what Bible translations to use. I know at one point I touted the New American Standard Version and the English Standard Version and I can in good conscience no longer do so. This goes beyond the actual English translations but rather to the underlying Greek Manuscripts behind them. The texts used in these versions as well as the RSV-CE are in my opinion not the best ones, they are based on a small minority of GK texts which even differ with each other in this same group. I have come to believe that those texts which are referred to as “the Majority Text” are the best and most accurate ones. These texts are also called “the received text”. They make up 95 per cent of ancient Greek texts we currently have available, Scholars are also finding out that non-Greek manuscrpts IE Syriac, and other eastern languages conform to these “Majority texts”. Also most if not all of the Scripture quotes of the Early Church Fathers and the early lectionaries conform to these texts. This is the same text type used in the King James or 1611 Authorised Version and also the modern New King James Version uses these Majority texts as their basis. Also for the most part in most cases the Latin Vulgate of St. Jerome used the Majority text from which we get the Douay-Rheims Version.
Since this is the case I personally will be switching to the King James or Authorised Version as my primary Bible (I plan on getting a Cambridge University Press AV/ King James Version with the Deutero-Canonical books and using it side by side with a Douay-Rheims Version. For a “modern” translation I will be using the New King James Version. I cannot suggest to anyone who asks me a modern version based on what I believe now to be a defective and corrupt Greek Text types which is what the RSV-CE is based on along with all other modern translations are based upon, both Catholic and Protestant. I realise this is a controversial iisue and I have read the arguments on both sides of this issue. I am not saying that those who differ are heretics or deceived but I feel that if one seriously and soberly and with an open mind hopefully will come to same conclusion I have, btw it took me a long time to work this out with study. Sincerely In Christ, jurist12

Is it possible to find a “handsome” black lether or letherette RSV CE that is readable? I have the burgendy one and that’s pretty ugly to look at plus the type-set makes it increadibly hard to read without almost breaking the spine of the book. Also, does anyone know where to buy a handsome looking Latin Vulgate…which is not insanley expensive? I’ve looked on ebay and some other places.

Thanks

40.png
Sanctus:
Also, does anyone know where to buy a handsome looking Latin Vulgate…which is not insanley expensive?
Depends on how you define “expensive”. The American Classical League sells one for $69.95. I picked one up through a used book site (either www.alibris.com or www.abebooks.com) for ~$25 a couple of years ago. Hint: search on “biblia vulgata” or “biblia sacra vulgata”.

(“handsome”? – a matter of taste – de gustibus non est disputandum – it’s a hardback, clothbound book, ~8x5; a couple of pretty maps; some Spanish introductory materials, I think)

tee

If they’d finish translating the NKJV (in other words complete it by translating the deuterocanonicals), I’d be very happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back