Which book is the word of God?

• Thread starter Thread starter confusedcatholic1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Koran points to Islam, and Islam points to the Koran. If you have a problem with the Catholic Church canonizing Scripture which coincides with orthodox Christianity, then be logically consistent and apply that same standard to your own religion.
There was no three centuries of questioning what’s the canonical Qur’an, only for an institution to choose what, & its followers to agree just because the institution says so. Augustine of Hippo literally said he accepts the NT canon because of the church. It’s not even comparable.

Sure but your one to talk sharia law has just as much power in Islamic kingdoms and in Fundmentalist Islamic governments

40.png
Thom18:
The Koran points to Islam, and Islam points to the Koran. If you have a problem with the Catholic Church canonizing Scripture which coincides with orthodox Christianity, then be logically consistent and apply that same standard to your own religion.
There was no three centuries of questioning what’s the canonical Qur’an, only for an institution to choose what, & its followers to agree just because the institution says so.
My apologies, I wasn’t aware that if Scripture wasn’t defined within X amount of years that any canonization at all is unreliable.
Augustine of Hippo literally said he accepts the NT canon because of the church. It’s not even comparable.
Muhammad is only one man, but didn’t he decide what should be in the Koran and what shouldn’t? A bit of a biased source, wouldn’t you agree?

Last edited:
You mean the corrupt oil money kingdoms many Muslims are displeased with? We don’t have a single institution we owe our allegiance to, nor do we believe is infallible.

And we are to believe that he saw the angel Gabriel with no witnesses to this occurring.

I’m not telling him what to do.
Oh it seemed that you were trying to.
Does the opinion of the Church not matter on this? Did you not know before reading it that Muslims were not Christian and thus reject Christ’s divinity, the very God who you think the Quran is inspired by?
I knew that, but the Noble Qur’an is making me question beliefs, which I feel is a good thing. Does the Church want us to blindly accept her authority or should I try to do so in such a way that is prudent and not consumed with pride. It seems you are telling me to blindly accept, though your reply kind of confused me as to what you are trying to get across. If this is what you are saying, the Qur’an criticizes the polytheists for just following what their fathers taught.

Muhammad is only one man, but didn’t he decide what should be in the Koran and what shouldn’t? A bit of a biased source, wouldn’t you agree?
We believe the Qur’an was revealed to Prophet Muhammad by God. You don’t believe the NT books were revealed to the church, or even Jesus for that matter. It’s not comparable, so stop :roll_eyes:.

Many Catholics are displeased at the way the church was run in the middle ages too. However its a good idea to have a single institution then many different ones.

Many Catholics are displeased at the way the church was run in the middle ages too
I know, so how was I insulting the church then?

Also, a question, what would’ve happened to the Catholics at that time if they disobeyed the church for its corruptions?

40.png
Thom18:
We believe the Qur’an was revealed to Prophet Muhammad by God. You don’t believe the NT books were revealed to the church, or even Jesus for that matter. It’s not comparable, so stop :roll_eyes:.
You “believe” that the Koran was revealed to Muhammad, just as we “believe” that the Church with teaching authority was under divine inspiration when She canonized Scripture. Why must I cease saying so?

Your complaint is what, exactly? You believe the witness of one man, we believe the witnesses of many men concerning a man (if He could be called “just” a man). What does this have to do with biases and circular reasoning that your own religion wouldn’t, following the same logic?

Last edited:
I knew that, but the Noble Qur’an is making me question beliefs, which I feel is a good thing. Does the Church want us to blindly accept her authority or should I try to do so in such a way that is prudent and not consumed with pride. It seems you are telling me to blindly accept, though your reply kind of confused me as to what you are trying to get across. If this is what you are saying, the Qur’an criticizes the polytheists for just following what their fathers taught.
I’m not saying to blindly accept what you’ve been taught. And questions are not bad. But there is such a thing as vain curiosity, and it is deadly. We’re supposed to be prudent with how we go about such things. What is the point of researching what another faith believes when it causes you to turn against the truth? And so far your research has caused you to say you accept the teachings of a faith that denies the divinity of your God and calls Christians polytheists, especially the latter of which you should know better than to think about Christianity. There have been Catholics who have researched Islam before. This very website has tracts. The Catholic Encyclopedia has an article.

I’ve never understood how, if the Quran is the word of God, dictated by Allah to Muhammad directly, how it could get such a fundamental fact about Christianity wrong. That Christianity does not worship three gods. I’ve had Muslims insist to me that they don’t, implying that I do. What sense does that make?

Last edited:
Quran is the word of God, dictated by Allah to Muhammad directly, how it could get such a fundamental fact about Christianity wrong. That Christianity does not worship three gods. I’ve had Muslims insist to me that they don’t, implying that I do. What sense does that make?
Another point I wanted to mention. Muhammad’s “Christology” was taught him by an Arian, if I remember correctly.

Islam wants you to believe Christian heretics over orthodox Christianity. Christianity wants you to have an authentically Jewish view.

Last edited:
I never said it was insulting.

It depends if they went about it the nice way they would become saints for example st Catherine of Siena and st Francis of Assisi if they were complete jerks like Martin Luther they would be excommunicated and if they were nuts like the albigensians they would be killed.

Another point I wanted to mention. Muhammad’s “Christology” was taught him by an Arian, if I remember correctly.
That’s a mythological Christian polemic. That Christians in the 21st century think it’s a historical fact speaks volumes.

This is complete ignorance of the Christian faith. Have you ever seen the little trinity graph it might help you wrap your head around it better

40.png
Thom18:
That’s a mythological Christian polemic. That Christians in the 21st century think it’s a historical fact speaks volumes.
Okay- where did Muhammad receive his Christian education, then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back