White House punts on saving Big Bird's tax deduction

  • Thread starter Thread starter SpeakInSilence
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SpeakInSilence

Guest
politico.com/politico44/2012/10/white-house-punts-on-saving-big-birds-tax-deduction-137642.html?hp=r5
The White House won’t say if it will go to bat for the tax deduction that allows “viewers like you” to help fund Sesame Street, PBS and other public broadcasting programming.
Mitt Romney’s comments on Wednesday that he would cut government funding to PBS and fire Big Bird sparked outrage and mockery on the web, with President Obama joking on the stump that he didn’t know Big Bird and Elmo were driving up the federal deficit. Obama supporters even chanted “P-B-S” at the president’s Friday rally in Virginia.
Think this will hurt Mitt The “Stormin’ Mormon” Romney?

(Hope that nickname doesn’t get me in trouble =/)
 
There is no good reason for the government to pay for television or radio. Private companies fill the void quite obviously.
 
Mitt Romney Can’t Roast Big Bird With PBS Cuts
Romney’s proposal to zero-out federal spending for public broadcasting will have little to no effect on Sesame Street’s budget because the show receives “very, very little funding” from PBS, Sesame Street’s executive vice president Sherrie Westin told CNN last week. Westin said the majority of the show’s funding comes from corporate sponsorships, product sales and donations.
“Quite frankly, you can debate whether or not there should be funding of public broadcasting. But when they always try to tout out Big Bird, and say we’re going to kill Big Bird – that is actually misleading, because Sesame Street will be here,” Westin said. “Big Bird lives on.”
 
There is no good reason for the government to pay for television or radio. Private companies fill the void quite obviously.
More importantly, there is no constitutional reason. Wheher or not there is a good reason (and I agree there is not) is irrelevent.

Does anyone believe that the producers of Sesame Street lack the intellect or ability to be successful in the private sector? I certainly don’t. If Mickey Mouse can do it, why not Big Bird?

Jon
 
More importantly, there is no constitutional reason. Wheher or not there is a good reason (and I agree there is not) is irrelevent.

Does anyone believe that the producers of Sesame Street lack the intellect or ability to be successful in the private sector? I certainly don’t. If Mickey Mouse can do it, why not Big Bird?

Jon
Because Big Bird is annoying as heck, and Mickey rocks?😃
 
Personally, as a lifelong Democrat* and the child of two Democrats, I love PBS, I get quite a lot out of it on my broadcast-only television menu, and I would certainly hate to see it go away. That said, I seriously doubt that cutting or removing government funding for PBS would cause it to suffer very much. I think that viewers and private sponsors would step up and fill the gaps nicely. Also, PBS has a decidedly liberal bent. Some of its more politically vocal programming makes me uncomfortable and I object to their systematic bias. It seems in-character for a Republican, who is looking to reassure Republican voters that he will be fiscally responsible, to promise such cuts in the interest of smaller government. So for this I cannot blame Romney at all.

*I registered Republican last year because I cannot continue in good conscience as a Catholic and a Democrat.
 
What I’m really worried about is the effects of even mentioning it. The idea of big bird getting fired is becoming quite popular.

.

L
 
What I’m really worried about is the effects of even mentioning it. The idea of big bird getting fired is becoming quite popular.

.

L
Big Bird and other Sesame Street characters were created by Jim Henson whose company supports things that are quite liberal and anti-Catholic such as Same-Sex Marriage. Also those characters are sold in toy stores and probably bring in as much income as do Disney characters. So why should PBS need government support?
 
The White House won’t say if it will go to bat for the tax deduction that allows “viewers like you” to help fund Sesame Street, PBS and other public broadcasting programming.
Mitt Romney’s comments on Wednesday that he would cut government funding to PBS and fire Big Bird sparked outrage and mockery on the web, with President Obama joking on the stump that he didn’t know Big Bird and Elmo were driving up the federal deficit. Obama supporters even chanted “P-B-S” at the president’s Friday rally in Virginia.
Ah those dastardly lefties…notice the lie? Romney said NOTHING about “firing Big Bird.” He stated that he liked Big Bird but would not subsidize PBS.
 
Millions of Americans are out of work, and millions of babies are being aborted each year with taxpayer money.

But some fictional puppet might have to look to private donations for work. :bighanky:
 
Millions of Americans are out of work, and millions of babies are being aborted each year with taxpayer money.

But some fictional puppet might have to look to private donations for work. :bighanky:
And just imagine—Big Bird’s creator supports the abortion of millions of babies, and supports two guys or two women living together as if married!:eek:
 
Think this will hurt Mitt The “Stormin’ Mormon” Romney?

(Hope that nickname doesn’t get me in trouble =/)
Mormons have many good qualities, that many Catholics and other Christians could live up to, I just won’t be joining them, but they do cover a lot of ground, met them here in Ireland, many times…

Now if we could marry the Catholic faith with Mormon ideals, then it would be a better world…
 
Mormons have many good qualities, that many Catholics and other Christians could live up to, I just won’t be joining them, but they do cover a lot of ground, met them here in Ireland, many times…

Now if we could marry the Catholic faith with Mormon ideals, then it would be a better world…
Eh I’d rather marry Catholic faith with Catholic ideals:thumbsup:
 
No one seemed to complain when they were televising the Republican National Convention.

I wonder what will happen to C-Span.
 
No one seemed to complain when they were televising the Republican National Convention.

I wonder what will happen to C-Span.
:rotfl:

Contrary to public belief C-SPAN is private, they receive no funding.
 
More importantly, there is no constitutional reason. Wheher or not there is a good reason (and I agree there is not) is irrelevent.
What? Just because something isn’t in the constitution doesn’t mean that the government shouldn’t do it.
 
What? Just because something isn’t in the constitution doesn’t mean that the government shouldn’t do it.
Really?
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
Or were you being sarcastic?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top