Good Morning PC
Same to you! I actually have to work a lot today so I can’t respond later.
Thanks for the well wishes for my granddaugher. All went well; she turned 15. Where does time go??
Okay. I kind of realized with you that I wasn’t undersanding something. Silly me. I never checked your religious affiliation! But, alas, I didn’t know what it meant. So I asked Professor Google. He knows everything. I still don’t know too much, of course. You can’t learn about any religion from the net. Noah has something to do with this and the O.T. laws.
I have Jewish beliefs but I am not a Jew. I have thought of converting but do not believe God is calling me to that.
So you see - posters here are concerned that you don’t believe in hell. But, as I originally said, this is not the problem at all. The real problem is with the understanding of this person, Jesus.
Jesus, the stumbling block to the Jew; came to divide father and son; will cause the rise and fall of many in Israel (Luke 2:34); he who does not gather with Him, scatters (Luke 11:23).
You said a couple of intersting things in previous posts to others. You said that you can’t trust what was said about hell (hate talking about hell) because it was just what the 4th century church translators thought Jesus said.
So basically, you don’t trust the N.T. Forget about the translators and how the church thought of it. You know how I feel about this. Do you think the entire N.T. is not to be trusted? Now, I’d have to agree that we can’t know each and every word Jesus said. But Mathew walked with Him, John walked with Him, Mark and Luke gleened their knowledge from those who actually spoke to Jesus. Ditto for Paul who wrote at least a third of the N.T. Are we no to trust these people?
I don’t have good enough reasons to suppose the N.T. is an accurate reflection of the situation surrounding Jesus or the person of Jesus. I believe the New Testament is a reflection of the early Christian’s beliefs about Jesus as they evolved over a couple generations and were sorted out in the 4th century.
Then what in heavens name could we base our faith on? Personally, I could believe BECAUSE of the apostles. In basic theology the first thing you learn is that our faith is reasonable because we could base it on reasonable people - the apostles.
I do not believe God requires us to believe that which contradicts reason. Many doctrines allegedly based on the N.T. contradict reason, and many prophecies have gone unfulfilled. These are two signs of un-inspired testimony.
The other point you mentioned was to Truetofaith:
“I see Jesus as an out-spoken charismatic rabbi who considered himself to be a prophet. Everything else is cultural evolution and interpretation. I respect the rabbi Jesus and think of his teachings often.”
Now we could speak of anything but regarding the above I’d have to say that there’s no way you could make that statement and here’s why. I don’t understand how anyone could see Jesus as a charismatic rabbi or a prophet, or a good teacher whom you could follow.
I think Jesus was either the Son of God - even more than the Messiah - or he was a crazy man that we should avoid. I mean, think of it: He went to the cross, He forgave sins, He miraculously healed people - He confirmed to Peter that he was The Christ, The Son of the Living God. He either had to be these things, or he was a dilusional person who thought he was God. Seems to me that Jesus left no wiggle room there.
Yes I am very familiar with this argument. I used to use it when trying to evangelize others. Here is the way out of the “trap:” we do not know what Jesus himself said about himself. We only know the “legend” as it grew up around him during the following two generations. The early Christians could have put words in his mouth, making him appear to claim to be God (in John at least) but this may have been misrepresentation (not on purpose but by the evolution of legend). I have no reason to suppose Jesus was a liar, a lunatic, or the Lord. I have good reasons to suppose that he was a charismatic Rabbi who developed a cult of personality that got out of hand and became a religion in the pluralistic society of imperial Rome.
Also, why would you trust the O.T. and not the N.T.? Does it seem to you that the translation is superior? Yoiu say that Ezekiel is a message of hope for humanity. Didn’t Jesus have a message of hope for humanity?
I trust the Torah by faith. The God portrayed in it does not contradict reason, in my understanding. Maybe I’m wrong. My belief in one God is fundamental, and the Torah seems to be talking about this God. If Jesus preached original sin and eternal hell, then he most certainly does not have a message of hope! I do not think he preached these things though, I think they are the product of Greek influence.
You say there is no original sin. Adam and Eve should only be used to show HOW sin entered into the world. Call it original sin, call it the sin nature, call it what you will but you have to admit that it does exist. That “thing” in us that inclines us toward “evil”.
Not true. According to Catholic theology, we also incur mortal guilt just by being conceived. Ask professor Google

. Read Trent, the Baltimore Catechism, and the Councils of Florence and Lyons. Read Augustine and Aquinas.