I’ve been away, so I’m a bit lost, but I like what you say.
This idea of a list of sins and how one gets to hell is starting to bother me. And I’ve been studying Christianity for 40 years (not that I know all that much).
I was up in a sanctuary this week; once a month to study adult catechism; about 12 of us. Some were asking if drinking alcohol is a sin. How much. Is smoking a sin. How many cigarettes. It was getting ridiculous.
I said how we should know when we’re sinning and stop trying to depend on a list. After all, didn’t God say he wanted the Law to be written on our heart? What exactly does that mean?
I miss Mass and God is sending me to hell? How about some mature faith?
Well said.
Here’s a conversation I refuse to believe happens:
*Jesus: “Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.”
Man: “But my whole life I have been a kind and charitable man. I regularly volunteered at the homeless shelter, I have been a devoted husband and a loving father, and I have never committed any horrible sins such as rape or murder. I died from a bad blood transfusion while giving one of my kidneys to a sick boy.”
Jesus: “That is all true, but you also stayed home during Mass one Sunday in 1972.”
Man: “It was my son’s birthday so I wanted to take him fishing.”
Jesus: “Too bad, missing a mass is a mortal sin. I don’t care what’s in your heart, only whether you checked off any of the boxes on my list of mortal sins. No depart from me and suffer unimaginable pain for all eternity, and do so alongside mass-murderers and serial rapists.”*
I believe that Jesus judges us by what’s in our heart, and that only those whose hearts are evil go to Hell. I’m not “rewriting scripture” as some may claim: I have evidence to support me. Read Matthew 25:31-46, also known as “The Sheep and The Goats”. That’s the passage where Jesus explains how he’s going to judge whether people will be saved or dammed.
4 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35
For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you,
whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
1 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42** For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.**’
44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’
45 “He will reply, ‘
Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’
46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”