B
Barbkw
Guest
And your explanation of Jesus’ words, "Kepha do you love Me more than these (other Apostles sitting here with us)?Yes. The triple affirmation to atone for the triple denial. But that is for another thread.![]()
And your explanation of Jesus’ words, "Kepha do you love Me more than these (other Apostles sitting here with us)?Yes. The triple affirmation to atone for the triple denial. But that is for another thread.![]()
In the Greek, He uses the three different forms of the word “love” in this passage (the English does not differentiate)…but it is significant. Do a google search. It is quite interesting. Or start a new thread.And your explanation of Jesus’ words, "Kepha do you love Me more than these (other Apostles sitting here with us)?
I dont think any Catholic denies this. But what about the rest who abandoned him, save John? Were they restored? What about Thomas who doubted? In fact, if we follow Scripture only Thomas was never blessed after He saw and touched Christ.Yes. The triple affirmation to atone for the triple denial. But that is for another thread.![]()
None of them verbally denied him three times in the public square. But of course we know that Christ predicted this and St Peter wept bitterly as an example to us that we can be forgiven through repentance. Judas did not repent. He fell into despair and hanged himself. We can be sure that all the Apostles repented.But what about the rest who abandoned him
I am not trying to change your mind. I am not trying to be contentious. When I was a Byzantine Catholic, I would have argued the same way as you do. But I see the fullness of truth in the Holy Orthodox understanding of these passages. You are free to disagree.I am saying is that Peter specifically is selected out of them all to be restored and chosen to lead.
Jesus specifically asked Kepha about the quality and quantity of his love for Him.In the Greek, He uses the three different forms of the word “love” in this passage (the English does not differentiate)…but it is significant. Do a google search. It is quite interesting. Or start a new thread.
Furthermore, St John is always referred to as the one whom Jesus loved. Does this mean He did not love the others as much? No.
Yes, all the Apostles were chosen to lead, but God the Father and God the Son also instituted a primary leader.There is no doubt that St Peter was a spokesman for the Apostles. But they were all chosen to lead! One could just as easily say that St John was the leader because he did not abandon our Lord and was called “the one whom Jesus Christ loved.”
But we know that all the Apostles were chosen.
English translations for the word “love” in Scripture are inadequate. If we read the Greek, we see that there are three different meanings for the word, “love”.Jesus specifically asked Kepha about the quality and quantity of his love for Him.
I’m sorry…but that is really legalistic. This is one of the many reasons that I came home to Holy Orthodoxy.Jesus’ actions with Kepha are similar to all owner / manager relationships
And St John was there at the Cross.Yet Peter, was the only Apostle who had the initial courage to fight for Jesus in the garden
And St John was there at the Cross—receiving Christ’s Holy Mother.and he was the only Apostle who followed Jesus after He was arrested.
They all received the Holy Spirit. They all went out to preach in hostile environments. They were all martyred…except St John.Upon receiving the Holy Spirit at Pentecost, he alone walked out into hostile surroundings and preached the first homily to the Jews concerning Jesus’ death and Resurrection.
Amen.Yes, all the Apostles were chosen to lead,
Christ is the primary leader. He is the Head of the Church.but God the Father and God the Son also instituted a primary leader.
Christ, primary.Abraham, primary. Moses, primary. David, primary. Jewish High Priest, primary.
Well said Mickey…(Snip)
There is no doubt that St Peter was a spokesman for the Apostles. But they were all chosen to lead! One could just as easily say that St John was the leader because he did not abandon our Lord and was called “the one whom Jesus Christ loved.”
But we know that all the Apostles were chosen.
Amen my brother.Well said Mickey…
I think sometimes we in the west get too caught up in the “governmental” nature of the Church with the Pope being the ultimate and sole “ruler”…
Well said.It really comes down to the question of what that authroity is and how it should be excersized, especially in it’s relationship with the other ancient Sees.
Christ is Risen!These men, and the leadership of both sides, need and deserve our prayers.
Mickey,Amen my brother.
Well said.
Christ is Risen!
Yea but…just kidding.Isn’t it nice to be able to say “Amen” With each other occasionally instead of always saying “Yea but…”
Of course God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit are primary.Amen. Christ is the primary leader. He is the Head of the Church.
Christ, primary.![]()
Matthew 28:19-20my point was the Trinity’s selection of primary upon earth.
Jesus originally said to Peter:Do you have anything more to say about the keys?
That Scripture - doesn’t disprove the Primacy of Peter.Matthew 28:19-20
Going therefore, teach ye all nations; baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: **and behold I am with you all days, even to the consummation of the world. **
Yes. I am familiar with Scripture. And…?“Simon son of John, blessed are you …for My Father in heaven has reveiled it to you… I will give you the keys of the Kingdom.”
Yes. We have already covered the different meanings of the word “love” and the triple affirmation for the triple denial.“Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?”
He said to him, “Feed my lambs, …”
Huh? Nobody is trying to disprove St Peter’s role in the Church. He had a primacy of honour. He was a spokesman. He was bishop of Antioch and Rome. He was martyred. He was equal with all the Apostles.That Scripture - doesn’t disprove the Primacy of Peter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbkw
Jesus’ actions with Kepha are similar to all owner / manager relationships
It’s not at all legalistic - it’s practical application of mission and the mission statement.I’m sorry…but that is really legalistic.
You are very kind. You too, and all the Orthodox, are my brothers in Christ.Yea but…just kidding.
You have always been charitable and polite on these boards, James. I wish I could say the same for myself. I consider you as a friend and brother in Christ.
Mickey