Why are you a Protestant(over Catholicism)?

• Thread starter Thread starter QuietKarlos
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont forget to " Be ye perfect, as the Father in heaven is, or " unless your righteousness exceeds that of the Pharisees ( or a Mother Theresa) you shall not enter".
But we both know that it is literally impossible to be perfect as God.

Because:

Mar_10:18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.

Good is less than perfect.

Why? Short answer, because I was Catholic for 25 years and found too many inconsistencies, hypocrisies, and what I came to believe as fallacies to continue on. However I ultimately did not find issue with the underlying messages and teachings of Christianity so I remained Christian in a related but separate tradition.
So, did you find the perfect non-catholic church without inconsistencies, hypocrisies and fallacies? Does it welcome seeking sinners? Even Jesus had Judas in his group.

Per Barnes commentary on a king for Israel:
“he (Samuel) doubtless saw how much of the evil heart of unbelief there was in the desire to have a visible king for their leader, instead of trusting to the invisible Lord who had hitherto led them”.
During the time of the Judges, there was a lack of unity, lack of purpose and direction, lack of morality. Actually, Almighty God wanted the people to have a king so He gave them Saul, David, Solomon and others up until the time of the Assyrian and Babylonian Captivities. The kings of Israel and Judah were forerunners of Christ the Messiah-King. Jesus Christ is the King of kings. His kingdom is “not of this world” and His kingdom will have no end.

Actually, Almighty God wanted the people to have a king so He gave them Saul, David, Solomon and others up until the time of the Assyrian and Babylonian Captivities.
Actually, no. Almighty God did not want Israel to have a (human being) king. From 1 Sam 8:

“7 And the Lord said to Samuel, “Obey the voice of the people in all that they say to you, for they have not rejected you, but they have rejected me from being king over them. 8 According to all the deeds that they have done, from the day I brought them up out of Egypt even to this day, forsaking me and serving other gods, so they are also doing to you. 9 Now then, obey their voice; only you shall solemnly warn them and show them the ways of the king who shall reign over them.”

Last edited:
The kings of Israel and Judah were forerunners of Christ the Messiah-King. Jesus Christ is the King of kings
No, God/ Jesus was their king from the beginning. The fleshly king was a “downgrade” replacement. Just as all Israel were to be priests, but because of sin, the Levitical priesthood was put in place. Christ puts all things back in place, He being the king of kings and we now are priests, laying to rest the heirus, Levitical priesthood. To say that the king of Israel was a foreshadow of things to come (Christ) is not the complete picture. He uses all things to foreshadow the future kingdom, but that does not do away with the sin, the missing the mark, that led to any inferior dispensation in the first ( second) place.

No, God/ Jesus was their king from the beginning. The fleshly king was a “downgrade” replacement
A king unifies. The bishops including the Bishop of Rome are a unifier.

Mark 3:24–25: If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. And if a house is divided against itself, that house will not be able to stand.

Protestantism is highly divided and continues to divide into many independent groups and ungrouped individuals. Sadly, the Protestant denominations have been splintering in doctrine, practice and organization.

So why are you Protestant(rather than Catholic)?
I’m not a Catholic because I don’t see enough evidence in church history to declare the Bishop pf Rome head of the church. So that pretty much disqualifies me haha

…The Catholic Church will never compromise and the if the Lutheran Church compromised they wouldn’t be much of a church.
Virtually either Protestants reconcile with Catholic Teachings or Catholics contradict their teachings-…
Not sure if one church contradicting the other church’s teachings is the main goal during their, twice a year talks but more to find an understanding that will build unity of both churches.

but like I said, it is important smart leaders of both church who are talking… so, I’m sure they’ll be able to come up with an understanding that will be pleasing to God.

They already agree, they accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

Anyway, I did say agree &/or disagree with some teaching in each church… and its not because I want to do things my way, its more because I’m still learning… and the more I learn the more I understand the core of both churches are the same… God.

@CelticWarlord, I want to be you when I grow up. 😉

Last edited:
Not sure if one church contradicting the other church’s teachings is the main goal during their, twice a year talks but more to find an understanding that will build unity of both churches.
Yes and that is supposed to change something. If we discover that yay, we have been saying same things all along but there were misunderstandings then sure. But that does not seem to be the case between Catholics and Protestants. Take doctrines about Papacy as an example.
so, I’m sure they’ll be able to come up with an understanding that will be pleasing to God.
What we can do is assist them with prayers.
They already agree, they accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior.
We agree on lots of things. It is just that we don’t agree on everything that pertains to salvation itself for example. This poses contradiction- which means at least one side is wrong.
Anyway, I did say agree &/or disagree with some teaching in each church… and its not because I want to do things my way, its more because I’m still learning…
It is important to search. May God guide you on your journey and may He lead us both into where we all belong.
… and the more I learn the more I understand the core of both churches are the same… God.
My opinion is that there is One Church that our Lord has created. Their core may be God but insofar as one is offshoot of the other or connected in some roundabout way. In other words God wills that we are united in One Faith, One Lord and One Baptism. Differences in Faith are surely not what He desires.

They don’t really hold her in any high regard though. And we call our lady ‘the blessed mother’. Protestants treat her as if she’s not a big deal in their lives, which I feel does not fill the propehcy that all generations will call her blessed. And I’ve never heard a Protestant used the word blessed or any similar word to describe the Virgin Mary. I could be wrong here, though but I really don’t think Protestants fulfill this statement.
From the Lutheran confessions:
[24]](http://bookofconcord.org/sd-person.php#para24) On account of this personal union and communion of the natures, Mary, the most blessed Virgin, bore not a mere man, but, as the angel [Gabriel] testifies, such a man as is truly the Son of the most high God, who showed His divine majesty even in His mother’s womb, inasmuch as He was born of a virgin, with her virginity inviolate. Therefore she is truly the mother of God, and nevertheless remained a virgin.
Again, regarding practice and doctrine, use of the term Protestant is folly.

Protestants treat her as if she’s not a big deal in their lives,
Compared to some Catholics, agree Mary is not as big a deal (still blessed though). I mean I have heard of more than a few Catholics who speak of interaction with Mary more than they speak of interaction with the Holy Ghost, or Jesus. They use words like guided, spoke to me , impressed upon me, told me, always there for me, a constant presence, knows all these things, strenghtens me, etc., etc.

So of course if a Protestant does not speak in such terms of Mary a Catholic might think they think she is not a " big deal".

What of some Catholics and others who accused some “Protestant” youth and hippy type converts 50 years ago as “Jesus freaks”? Imagine, being accused of being overzealous about coming to know and meet Jesus, such laser like focus on Him! And some Catholics want to complain about them, talking of her eternal blessedness only from time to time?

One might ask who would Mary be more pleased with but one who is crazy in love with the one she points to, even bore. Surely Mary would have us be so focused on Jesus that we could be charged as being “Jesus freaks”.

Last edited:
I think for Christmas a present for you Jon, I’m going to do a search and see how many times you’ve posted this. I’m going to put the over/under at 1500.

40.png
JonNC:
I think for Christmas a present for you Jon, I’m going to do a search and see how many times you’ve posted this. I’m going to put the over/under at 1500.
I’m not even close to the number of times @GKMotley has posted “motley” in some form or another. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
over/under at 1500.
Maybe 1517?

Last edited:
Every tree that does not bear good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire. (Matthew 7).
He who perseveres and endures unto the end will be saved. (Mark 13:13)
…through perseverance in good works (Romans 2:7)

There are many Bible verses that present a different position than the common “Christian” saying of “once saved always saved.”

Why am I Protestant? One big reason I choose to continue to worship God as an Episcopalian is that I believe women are proper subjects for ordination. Why am I not Catholic? Because I would have to profess belief in everything the Catholic Church teaches, and I cannot do that.

Why am I Protestant? One big reason I choose to continue to worship God as an Episcopalian is that I believe women are proper subjects for ordination.
“Do you own thing” and personal preferences do fit better with a generic “Christian” philosophy than with Catholic and Biblical religion.

Jesus said: If you love me, you will keep my commandments. Jesus built His Church upon a foundation of Twelve Apostles. Let’s love Jesus and imitate Him.

Do you own thing” and personal preferences do fit better with a generic “Christian” philosophy than with Catholic and Biblical religion.
I’m not positive…but I could swear I just felt a stone go whizzing by my head…
Let’s love Jesus and imitate Him.
Agreed. I’ll do my best to leave the stones in a pile. (I need to as I live in a giant glass house - spiritually speaking)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back