Why can't Priests Preach ... like the Protestant Pastors can ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter brb3
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, some on the forum make it sound like wooliness is only something Anglicans suffer from.
I wish that I had been at his church for that sermon, though I am sure that I would disagree with its implications. I like Jungian theory and have read some of Joseph Campbell’s work. Maybe we should just bar anyone with a degree or minor in psychology from the priesthood (though that would rule a lot of people out…)!
 
And you turned around and did exactly the same.
Well no, because Catholics do claim to be a unified Church, and because I specified that I was speaking of Latin-Rite North American Catholicism (the one Mass I’ve been to in Ireland bears out my generalization–my experiences in Germany and Romania have been much better).
I should very much like to see your well-researched study of the hundreds of Catholic parishes in which you have attended Mass.
Not hundreds. I don’t claim that it’s a well-researched study. But I’m drawing on experience of Catholic preaching in the dioceses of Knoxville, Raleigh, Arlington, Paterson, Newark, Fort Wayne/South Bend at least (I’ve been to Mass in some other places while attending conferences). I’ve heard at least one pretty good sermon (in the Diocese of Arlington) and some OK ones. But generally the tone of Catholic preaching is thin, stilted, and awkward, as if the priests really don’t know why they are there and are trying to sound as if they have something to say. I stand by this generalization–it’s not a scholarly study but one person’s experience in several different dioceses in the United States (plus a visit last summer to the Pro-Cathedral in Dublin). And it matches a lot of what Catholics say.

Of course there are exceptions. Of course if you drive miles to go to a parish that suits you, you can find a priest who preaches well (according to whatever standards you have for good preaching, which of course might not be mine just as mine might not be someone else’s). But both my own experience and anecdotal evidence from lots of Catholic acquaintances indicates to me that if you just walk into the local parish in any given place in the English-speaking world, your chances of hearing quite bad preaching are pretty good, and your chances of hearing good preaching are very small.

Edwin
 
The best preacher I have ever listened to, by far, filled with the Holy Spirit, is Father White at St. Anthony’s Church in Pine Plains NY! I am a former Protestant, and still admire my old Pastor, he is a good speaker, but Father White makes one feel like Jesus Himself is standing up there and preaching . . . sometimes that is. Sometimes Father White can be harsh, but I think we all need that once in a while.
 
it’s not a scholarly study but one person’s experience
I appreciate the admission. I am fortunate to live in one of the fastest growing dioceses in the country. The faith is vibrant and we have what has been called a “vocations boom” in several publications. We’re blessed with many priests who are gifted preachers. Therefore, your experience is not mine. I have visited Catholic Churches in several states as well.

I’m not saying that I haven’t experienced poor preaching in Catholic Churches. What I would say is that the majority of those poor homilies were given by priests or deacons who, more often than not, do not embrace the teachings of the Church. They’re lukewarm. I want homilies that boldly teach truth. If they entertain as well, then that’s a bonus.

In addition, the Catholic Mass is not sermon-centered. The Source and Summit of our faith is the Eucharist. The best “homily” I ever experienced was a few months ago. Our pastor was so caught up in the Liturgy of the Eucharist it was as if time stood still. He was there. And it brought me to tears.
 
As a former Episcopalian I found the sermons either over most people’s heads or simply boring.

I have been to different protestant churches years ago and don’t recall any outstanding sermons either.

In some cases at more fundamentalist funerals I attended there was always a type of altar call for the unsaved during the sermon. Which I found to be offensive to me and actually the family of the deseased. Also in these types of churches most of the sermons are based on a few of the pastor’s favorite topics. Very little variety.

Personally it is not whether the preacher is charismatic in personality or not, it is the message that he gives. At least in most of the Catholic Churches I have attended the message is Christ centered and relates to how we live our daily lives. It is the message that counts, not the way it is delivered.

Yours in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary

Bernadette
 
I’m not saying that I haven’t experienced poor preaching in Catholic Churches. What I would say is that the majority of those poor homilies were given by priests or deacons who, more often than not, do not embrace the teachings of the Church. They’re lukewarm.
I don’t know how you think you know this. It seems uncharitable and unwarranted to make such an assumption.

One of the better Catholic preachers I’ve heard was, as I said, one of the least orthodox.

I think your claim about lukewarmness may have some merit, but since we can’t read people’s hearts I’m cautious about it. Certainly most Catholic preachers act as if they would rather be somewhere else. But that may not be lukewarmness about the faith–it may be lukewarmness about preaching.

I also get the impression that many priests are rather shy. Not all of course, but I think Protestant pastors are by and large more likely to be extroverted “people people.” One priest in the afore-mentioned NC parish was perhaps the worst preacher I’ve ever heard, but I found his manner endearing, because he was obviously painfully shy and struggling to get a word out. It may be that many priests feel the same way, but it’s not as obvious, so I interpret it as glibness or insincerity or “lukewarmness” when really they are just nervous about standing up in front of people.

I have no interest in judging the souls of priests. But I can judge what I hear, and my experience has been over and over again going into a parish and hoping for something better, and hearing the same-old same-old. The same is true of music. There is a certain tone to Catholic preaching and Catholic music. And to borrow a word from BernadetteM, it’s boring.

At the risk of being a complete snob–most of you already know I am one, so I have nothing to lose–I am rarely bored by something over my head. I don’t see why one would be. What is more exciting than trying to understand something difficult? It might be discouraging, but boring?

Catholic priests, on the other hand, generally sound as if they are “talking down” to their congregations, at least in my experience.

One more admission that skews my results: I have been to a lot more daily Masses than Sunday Masses. (Because for the past 12 years I have been regularly attending an Episcopal church on Sundays, except for the couple of months during which I was a candidate for admission to the Catholic Church). Catholic priests should get credit for preaching at daily Masses at all–Episcopal priests generally don’t, when they offer daily Masses in the first place. But I have been to a good few Sunday and feast-day Masses, and the general characteristics are the same.

Edwin
 
And if the Bible is the only source of truth/lack of sorrow, then what did Christians do for the first four centuries of Christendom before the New Testament Canon was determined? And after that, what about the fact that almost no one had access to it until the invention of the printing press in the 15th century? And the issue of literacy…and…and…
I think that’s a distortion of what Protestants believe. Protestants typically believe that the Bible is the highest rule of faith for the Church along with Tradition and Reason (Anglicans, Methodists), or that the Bible is the sole infallible authority for the Church, with those things not prohibited being adiaphora/indifferent (Lutherans), or what cannot be supported in Scriptures is not to be in the Church (Calvinists, Baptists). Many Protestants are quite happy without having an “infallible human authority”, and would probably view the insecurity somebody might feel of “not knowing for sure” as a pastoral issue.

Authority for humans just cannot be circular declarations that one is the Grand Poobah because one says so, which is sort of what the average Catholic often sounds like in their defence of the Pope. Even Jesus Christ spoke with authority, acted with authority- he persuaded people, he didn’t make dogmatic declarations high up on a gilded throne, his throne was the Cross after all. Did all the popes do this? I’d submit they failed to persuade people (look up “Great Western Schism” if you want to know more).

The Fathers believed alot in the authority of the Scriptures, referencing them constantly as an infallible authority. So “sola fide” is not so “far out” in terms of Tradition, either.
I would argue that reliance on the Bible alone as the only source of authority has caused great sorrow in the Body of Christ. I know, I experienced it. How can the fact that we have 39,000 protestant denominations NOT bring sorrow?
There’s only about 9,230 Protestant churches. There are hundreds of Catholic and Orthodox churches though, some schismatic from their parent churches (Society of Saint Pius X, Old Believers in Orthodoxy, not to mention Old Catholics and Polish National Catholic Church, etc.). Some of this is unfair too, many of those Protestant “churches” allow intercommunion with other churches and consider their differences organizational rather than matters of faith and salvation. Protestants typically don’t think of the Church as merely an institution like a corportation or empire. Catholics do.
 
Also keep in mind that Fr. Corapi is a Capuchin. They are known for their simple teaching and have a good reputation as missionaries, as according to World Book Encyclopedia(1967).
 
I don’t know how you think you know this. It seems uncharitable and unwarranted to make such an assumption.

Because what they say does not agree with Catholic teaching, that’s how I know.

One of the better Catholic preachers I’ve heard was, as I said, one of the least orthodox.

If he’s teaching against the faith, then he’s not giving a good homily. He might, however, be entertaining.

I think your claim about lukewarmness may have some merit, but since we can’t read people’s hearts I’m cautious about it. Certainly most Catholic preachers act as if they would rather be somewhere else. But that may not be lukewarmness about the faith–it may be lukewarmness about preaching.

Again, you haven’t heard most Catholic preachers, so I reject your generalization.

I also get the impression that many priests are rather shy. Not all of course, but I think Protestant pastors are by and large more likely to be extroverted “people people.” One priest in the afore-mentioned NC parish was perhaps the worst preacher I’ve ever heard, but I found his manner endearing, because he was obviously painfully shy and struggling to get a word out. It may be that many priests feel the same way, but it’s not as obvious, so I interpret it as glibness or insincerity or “lukewarmness” when really they are just nervous about standing up in front of people.

I have no interest in judging the souls of priests. But I can judge what I hear, and my experience has been over and over again going into a parish and hoping for something better, and hearing the same-old same-old. The same is true of music. There is a certain tone to Catholic preaching and Catholic music. And to borrow a word from BernadetteM, it’s boring.

I certainly have no interest, nor right, to judge their souls. But I can judge whether what I hear lines up with Catholic teaching.

At the risk of being a complete snob–most of you already know I am one, so I have nothing to lose–I am rarely bored by something over my head. I don’t see why one would be. What is more exciting than trying to understand something difficult? It might be discouraging, but boring?

Completely agree with you here.

Catholic priests, on the other hand, generally sound as if they are “talking down” to their congregations, at least in my experience.

Not mine.

One more admission that skews my results: I have been to a lot more daily Masses than Sunday Masses. (Because for the past 12 years I have been regularly attending an Episcopal church on Sundays, except for the couple of months during which I was a candidate for admission to the Catholic Church). Catholic priests should get credit for preaching at daily Masses at all–Episcopal priests generally don’t, when they offer daily Masses in the first place. But I have been to a good few Sunday and feast-day Masses, and the general characteristics are the same.

My experience at daily Mass is that those homilies are often “off the cuff.” That may be part of the reason why one might be disappointed with the homily. Maybe it’s not as polished as some would like.

Edwin
My responses are in bold. One question, why didn’t you become Catholic?
 
I think that’s a distortion of what Protestants believe. Protestants typically believe that the Bible is the highest rule of faith for the Church along with Tradition and Reason (Anglicans, Methodists), or that the Bible is the sole infallible authority for the Church, with those things not prohibited being adiaphora/indifferent (Lutherans), or what cannot be supported in Scriptures is not to be in the Church (Calvinists, Baptists). Many Protestants are quite happy without having an “infallible human authority”, and would probably view the insecurity somebody might feel of “not knowing for sure” as a pastoral issue.

I was responding to a fellow Catholic who asserted the following: “I think we both are embarrassed/shamed by our Church’s conduct over sins in the Priesthood. On the otherhand, we will never have such sorrow with the eternal New Covenant Bible.” Her comments seemed to indicate a belief in Sola Scriptura. I am well aware that you cannot make the statement “Protestants believe X”. After spending several decades in various Protestant churches, the one recurring theme was a lack of agreement on nearly every doctrine. I do agree, however, with your summary above.

Authority for humans just cannot be circular declarations that one is the Grand Poobah because one says so, which is sort of what the average Catholic often sounds like in their defence of the Pope. Even Jesus Christ spoke with authority, acted with authority- he persuaded people, he didn’t make dogmatic declarations high up on a gilded throne, his throne was the Cross after all. Did all the popes do this? I’d submit they failed to persuade people (look up “Great Western Schism” if you want to know more).

Catholics say that those who rely on Sola Scriptura are arguing in a circle: the Bible is the Word of God because the Bible says so, and yes, the same argument is used against Catholics, who believe that Jesus instituted the Papacy. I enjoyed Mark Shea’s treatment of this charge in his book, “By What Authority?” The Catholic Church would argue, however, that it’s a line, straight back to Matt. 16:18. Jesus founded His Church on Peter and gave him the keys. Keys denote succession. And He gave His Church the authority to teach in His name. "He who hears you hears Me."

The Fathers believed alot in the authority of the Scriptures, referencing them constantly as an infallible authority. So “sola fide” is not so “far out” in terms of Tradition, either.

**Totally agree with your first sentence. You lost me on the second part. Consider:

“But He who raised Him up from the dead will raise up us also, if we do His will, and walk in His commandments, and love what He loved, keeping ourselves from all unrighteousness, covetousness, love of money, evil speaking, falsewitness; ‘not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing,’ or blow for blow, or cursing for cursing, but being mindful of what the Lord said in His teaching: ‘Judge not, that ye be not judged; forgive, and it shall be forgiven unto you; be merciful, that ye may obtain mercy; with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again; and once more, "Blessed are the poor, and those that are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of God.’” Polycarp, To the Philippians, 2 (A.D. 135).

“They only who fear the Lord and keep His commandments have life with God; but as to those who keep not His commandments, there is no life in them.” Shepherd of Hermas, 2 Comm 7 (A.D. 155).

“On this account also Paul the Apostle says to the Corinthians, ‘Know ye not, that they who run in a racecourse, do all indeed run, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. Every one also who engages in the contest is temperate in all things: now these men that they may obtain a corruptible crown, but we an incorruptible. But I so run, not as uncertainty; I fight, not as One beating the air; but I make my body livid, and bring it into subjection, lest by any means, when preaching to others, I may myself be rendered a castaway.’ This able wrestler, therefore, exhorts us to the struggle for immortality, that we may be crowned, and may deem the crown precious, namely, that which is acquired by our struggle, but which does not encircle us of its own accord (sed non ultro coalitam).” Irenaeus, Against Heresies, 4:7 (A.D. 180).

I would refer you to scripturecatholic.com for many, many others.
scripturecatholic.com/salvation.html#tradition-I**

There’s only about 9,230 Protestant churches. There are hundreds of Catholic and Orthodox churches though, some schismatic from their parent churches (Society of Saint Pius X, Old Believers in Orthodoxy, not to mention Old Catholics and Polish National Catholic Church, etc.). Some of this is unfair too, many of those Protestant “churches” allow intercommunion with other churches and consider their differences organizational rather than matters of faith and salvation. Protestants typically don’t think of the Church as merely an institution like a corportation or empire. Catholics do.

Here’s an article on this:
freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/1956752/posts

The author explains where he got the 33,000 number. He divided the churches further into denominations. You would have to agree that not all Lutherans, for example, believe the same thing. There are the Missouri Synod, ELCA, etc. Further, a 2008 study by Gordon Conwell Seminary put the number at 39,000 with a projected number of 55,000 by 2025. Apparently, the study was quite controversial…wonder why. Anyway, you can retrieve it by using the “Way Back Machine,” or some other internet recovery system. That’s how I got it.

There are several different Rites within Catholicism, either they are in communion with Rome or they’re not. Jesus established one Church. Peace in Christ…
 
The answer to the Title question is that Catholic priests have a lot different training than Protestant preachers (who can be quite good preachers, for sure).

I’m sure that it varies a lot, but a protestant preacher may devote his entire week to studying the scripture and preparing a sermon.

In marked contrast, the Catholic priest has to be a jack of all trades, and his time is greatly fragmented with ministries. Many priests probably struggle to say the Divine Office, to celebrate Mass, and to say the rosary each day.

Protestants are studying the entire Bible, as a rule, whereas a lot of Catholic priests are concentrating on the New Testament. So, we just don’t get those detailed Old Testament -based homilies.

There are priests and bishops who really fear that Catholics will gravitate to the “Bible only” mentality and so they don’t like to stress the Bible. As attested in these forums, there are MANY question about scripture, and it is as if people are in combat here, the way they discuss many subjects.

And, a another reason for the difference between Catholic and protestant sermons is that Protestants are very frequently criticizing Catholic beliefs and practices. We just don’t hear Catholic priests (Fr. O’Shaunessey on EWTN was the exception) discuss the errors of the Reformation.

And, a related reason is that Catholic priests don’t want to confuse lay Catholics with a lot of these issues. They want to “get on” with Catholic beliefs and prayers and devotion.
 
The answer to the Title question is that Catholic priests have a lot different training than Protestant preachers (who can be quite good preachers, for sure).

I’m sure that it varies a lot, but a protestant preacher may devote his entire week to studying the scripture and preparing a sermon.

In marked contrast, the Catholic priest has to be a jack of all trades, and his time is greatly fragmented with ministries. Many priests probably struggle to say the Divine Office, to celebrate Mass, and to say the rosary each day.
There is another factor I have not seen mentioned. Even if a Pastor is not a full time clergy he has greater life experience. My Pastor was a Marine. a police detective, had worked in a factory, owned a business and raised a family along with missionary and evangelic work. That background serves him well as a speaker as he has those experiences to pull from
 
There is another factor I have not seen mentioned. Even if a Pastor is not a full time clergy he has greater life experience. My Pastor was a Marine. a police detective, had worked in a factory, owned a business and raised a family along with missionary and evangelic work. That background serves him well as a speaker as he has those experiences to pull from
Good point ! I think the fact the Apostles were or had been married … allowed them to be the powerful evangelists/preachers they were.

I would think it would be difficult for a celibate priest these days to be a powerful expositor … unless he came to the pulpit from a prodigal life experience, as did Father Corapi.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top