Why do Protestants say Catholicism leads to hell?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SebMurphy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you confusing judgement of the nations with the Judgement of the great white throne in Rev?
There is only one Judgment; both of these passages (and the section in Matthew 7, as well) are speaking about the same event. There will not be more than one Judgment Day.
 
Condescension is failing to quote those passages of the Catechism which undermine your argument, as though two paragraphs were the whole thing, particularly when the whole was quoted earlier.

Is bearing false witness a sin in your community, sir?
I never SAID they were the whole thing but those are paragraphs as a whole that I am COMMENTING on.

Your lack of charity is par for the course, the OP asks a question I am trying fully to explain and help in the understanding why we fail to see your doctrine as being saved and you attack the explainer instead of the information supplied.
Whatever Teflon! I thought you and I were beyond this.
 
There is only one Judgment; both of these passages (and the section in Matthew 7, as well) are speaking about the same event. There will not be more than one Judgment Day.
If that’s what your taught…:confused:
 
😉 Nah, the OT Law, especially the 10 Commandments, doesn’t apply to us anymore. St Paul in Galatians says we’re free from the law, Tef. 😉
Christ in Matthew says to keep the Commandments, and also says that he came not to abolish the Law, but to fulfill it.

If there is any seeming conflict between St Paul and Christ, am I to believe St Paul wins?
 
I never SAID they were the whole thing but those are paragraphs as a whole that I am COMMENTING on.

Your lack of charity is par for the course, the OP asks a question I am trying fully to explain and help in the understanding why we fail to see your doctrine as being saved and you attack the explainer instead of the information supplied.
Whatever Teflon! I thought you and I were beyond this.
I thought we were beyond the misrepresentation of Catholic teaching, MFM. I have no issue with you taking issue with that teaching; that’s what the thread is about. I do take issue with you consistently misstating and redacting from it. It is no picnic having to pull long passages simply so the lurkers, unaware of what came 5 screens back, don’t believe that the Church’s teaching is what you claim it to be.

Charity does not require paying heed to untruths.

Argue with Catholic teaching all you like—just make sure you argue with the teaching and not some false construct you’ve erected.

It’s the same with Scripture—when the question is “What did Christ say of salvation?”—it does you no good to cherrypick it. It’s too important to cherrypick. We can all wrestle with interpretation, but cannot pretend he did not say what he said.
 
on what basis do they therefore believe that those of us who believe faith + justifying grace + works + sanctifying grace = salvation are going to hell?
adding (justifying grace+ works + sanctifying grace) to FAITH to butress it shows a total LACK of faith…from the evangelical POV
 
It’s the same with Scripture—when the question is “What did Christ say of salvation?”—it does you no good to cherrypick it. It’s too important to cherrypick. We can all wrestle with interpretation, but cannot pretend he did not say what he said.
So this brings forward the question why you did NOT respond to the post of the 15-20 verses where I called you on the table with Christ salvation comments…I’ll find it and bring it forward.
 
adding (justifying grace+ works + sanctifying grace) to FAITH to butress it shows a total LACK of faith…from the evangelical POV
If faith alone is all it takes to get into Heaven, then surely the Devil gets to go to Heaven, since he certainly has faith alone in God. He has no good works and no sanctifying grace, but he cannot help but know that God exists. 🤷
 
adding (justifying grace+ works + sanctifying grace) to FAITH to butress it shows a total LACK of faith…from the evangelical POV
Okay—how so?

How do evangelicals square this with:
  • Faith without works is dead (James)
  • No man can come to the Father but by the Father (Jesus)
As a tangible example, how do evangelicals square this with the wicked servant from the parable of the talents in Matthew 25?
 
Jhn 3:15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

Jhn 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Jhn 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Jhn 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Jhn 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Jhn 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
Jhn 6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Jhn 6:47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.
Jhn 7:38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

Jhn 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

Jhn 11:26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die.
Jhn 12:46 I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness.
 
So this brings forward the question why you did NOT respond to the post of the 15-20 verses where I called you on the table with Christ salvation comments…I’ll find it and bring it forward.
Please do—I’m not sure which one you’re referring to. For some, I take no issue with the text, but with the extra-Scriptural interpretation you’ve added to it.

After all, Catholics believe faith to be a requirement for salvation, though grace (justifying and sanctifying) and good works are also normally required (we all acknowledge the thief on the cross, unbaptized babies, etc represent unusual circumstances where the mercy of God is called for).
 
If faith alone is all it takes to get into Heaven, then surely the Devil gets to go to Heaven, since he certainly has faith alone in God. He has no good works and no sanctifying grace, but he cannot help but know that God exists. 🤷
Ridiculous you guys don’t get it belief and faith are not synonimous…Sheesh.“Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen” (Heb. 11:1).
**It is synonymous with trust. It is a divine gift **
Rom. 12:3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

** and comes by hearing the Word of God Rom. 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
** Without faith it is impossible to please God

Heb. 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
**
It is by faith that we live our lives, **“The righteous shall live by faith,”
Hab. 2:4 Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith.
Rom. 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.
 
Please do—I’m not sure which one you’re referring to. For some, I take no issue with the text, but with the extra-Scriptural interpretation you’ve added to it.

After all, Catholics believe faith to be a requirement for salvation, though grace (justifying and sanctifying) and good works are also normally required (we all acknowledge the thief on the cross, unbaptized babies, etc represent unusual circumstances where the mercy of God is called for).
Jhn 3:15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

Jhn 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Jhn 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Jhn 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Jhn 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Jhn 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
Jhn 6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Jhn 6:47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.
Jhn 7:38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

Jhn 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

Jhn 11:26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die.
Jhn 12:46 I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness.
 
40.png
myfavoritmartin:
I did respond—I provided the fuller context of John 6, the stuff you omitted between verses.

When we read the whole, we see Christ drawing an extended parallel between God feeding the Jews with manna in Exodus and feeding them with the body and blood of Christ. Christ repeatedly points out that he is the new manna from heaven, the new bread of life, and that they will eat of him or have no life within them. Most of the disciples are so horrified by this that they leave, only the Twelve remaining.

That’s what the text says.

For Catholics, it means what it says. This is why we embrace the sacrament of the Eucharist, and why Mass is modeled on the Lord’s Supper.

For those Christians who have rejected the Eucharist, there are surely other interpretations, but they MUST address this passage, since Christ clearly indicates they who fail to eat of his flesh and drink of his blood have no life in them, another way of saying they will not be saved.

Again, it is important to acknowledge what the text says before arguing what it means.
 
“If you forgive others their transgressions, your heavenly Father will forgive you. But if you do not forgive others, neither will your Father forgive your transgressions.” - Matt. 6:14-15

To me, it sounds like you must **do **something to attain Heaven.
 
Ridiculous you guys don’t get it belief and faith are not synonimous…Sheesh.“Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen” (Heb. 11:1).
**It is synonymous with trust. **It is a divine gift
Rom. 12:3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

**and comes by hearing the Word of God **Rom. 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Without faith it is impossible to please God
Heb. 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

**It is by faith that we live our lives, **“The righteous shall live by faith,”
Hab. 2:4 Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith.
Rom. 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.
Right back at ya, bro…

Those verses need to be read in light of the following verses, so you can truly understand Scripture.
James 2:
14 6 **What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? **15 If a brother or sister has nothing to wear and has no food for the day, 16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, keep warm, and eat well,” but you do not give them the necessities of the body, what good is it? 17 **So also faith of itself, if it does not have works, is dead. **
Okay, so clearly, we are saved by faith, but faith alone cannot save you.

James 2 said:
18 Indeed someone might say, “You have faith and I have works.” Demonstrate your faith to me without works, and I will demonstrate my faith to you from my works. 19 **You believe that God is one. You do well. Even the demons believe that and tremble. **20 Do you want proof, you ignoramus, that faith without works is useless?

I take it you believe James is “ridiculous” for talking about the belief of demons, when he is clearly discussing faith. 🤷 The two are related - you have faith because you believe. There is no reason to tell people they are ridiculous.
 
As for the rest of the John passages, and given you’ve just distinguished strongly between “faith” and “belief”, you’ll need to clarify for me what you think “believeth in” and “believeth on” mean. You’ve drawn this distinction, so we’ll need you to explain why you chose passages speaking of belief to buttress a claim regarding faith if these are different things.

For my money, John 6 helps show the way. When Christ instructs the disciples to believe in him, what is it he’s asking them to believe?

That he is the bread of life, of course, and that they must eat of his flesh and drink his blood or they will have no life within them.

This is why so many fled. If you want to see how Scripture interprets Scripture, search for something like “eat flesh” and “drink blood” and you’ll see why they were so offended.

(I recommend everyone check this out at some point—I had no idea how the Eucharist had been prefigured so often throughout Scripture until I did).

Thus, I’d say “believeth in” and “believeth on” are used in the “do as I say” sense, rather than in the “I recognize you are the Christ” sense.

If I’ve got the sense of that wrong, one of my Catholic brothers and sisters will surely correct me.
 
Non - Catholics do not teach that one must not do good works; as Epesians 2:8 - 10 sets forth:
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast.
For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

The essential point is that to be saved a man must first be brought to Christ (verily, verily, I say unto you The hour is coming and now is when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God and they that hear shall live).A man is saved when he is quickened or made alive by the Spirit and believes on the Son of God.

He is then to show forth the praises of Him who has called him from darkness into light.

I am not born again by being baptised as an infant. Then trying to do good works to merit acceptance on judgement day. A man is born of the Spirit when he hears the Word of God and belives. (Romans 10). Thereafter he is equipped or qualified to do good works. You can’t put the cart before the horse.

In fact there are two judgements. The judgement seat of Christ as described in 1 Corinthians 3: 10-15. Paul first explains that he has laid the foundation of Jesus Christ in the Corinthian belivers by the grace of God. He then goes on to show that every man should take heed how he builds thereon. Every man’s work will be manifested. If the works are good works he will be rewarded. If he has no good works he will be saved but by fire (the fire tests the works) in other words he will just make it into heaven having the foundation, Christ but having no rewards. (Maybe he will be the doorkeeper?)

The great white throne judgement is 1000 years later (Rev 20:11)when the wicked dead are judged.

Matthew 25 shows that the righteous will inherit eternal life and the wicked be cast into everlasting punishment. The righteous are described as sheep and the wicked goats. As MFM POINTED OUT THIS IS THEIR NATURE.

The sheep entered into the joy of their Lordbecause they ministered to **His brethren **(the Jews in tribulation / fellow Christians in persecution?). They could only minister to Christ in this way because they already believed in Christ. They were not ministering to their brethren to gain salvation on the day of judgement.

The goats were cast into everlasting fire because they did not minister to His brethren. They did not minister to them because they did not believe in Christ.

Whether this description of the judgement is a summary of the two judgements described in 1 Cor 3 and Rev 20, or whether it is an additional judgement of the nations after the great tribulation I do not know. It does not however teach salvation by works.

We should all rather pray that we are worthy to stand before the Son of Man in that day!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top