C
Contarini
Guest
Teflon,We’ll need to see the excerpts from the texts before we’ll know that your intepretation of Catholic teaching is valid, Edwin. The bolded portions above require some evidence. I am unaware of the Church having mapped the probability space of salvation sufficiently to claim likely or unlikely beyond the well-known requirement to be free from mortal sin upon death.
That’s exactly my point over against the bolded claim. JonNC has been told by Catholics that Protestant clergy are unlikely to be acting out of invincible ignorance. I said–and you clearly agree with me–that this is not Catholic teaching. The Catholic Church, as you note, does not speculate officially as to how many Protestants might be acting out of good faith and how many might not.
Are you claiming that the Catholic Church teaches that a person can follow the truth as they know it in perfectly good faith and still be damned because (though they had no way of knowing it) what they believe is in fact wrong? Or are you simply arguing that the chances of a Protestant acting in truly good faith may be relatively slender? If the latter, while I would obviously disagree with you (!),nothing you are saying contradicts Catholic teaching as I understand it. Because, again, we agree that the Catholic Church does not speak officially as to how many people may fulfill one or another condition–it simply lays out what the conditions are.
I am quite aware that the Catholic Church teaches explicitly (in Lumen Gentium and the Catechism) that a person who rejects Catholicism knowing it to be true cannot be saved. And since I respect Catholicism highly, I take that teaching very seriously and continuously examine my conscience with regard to the reasons why I remain outside the Roman Communion.
In Christ,
Edwin