R
rlg94086
Guest
I think it is a sophomoric reference to the 7 dwarfs “…off to work we go…”What is that?
I think it is a sophomoric reference to the 7 dwarfs “…off to work we go…”What is that?
What I said wasThe verse makes senes, it is you who didn’t make sense. You said that in your humble opinion Welderman wasn’t “saved” and then gave the verse in parenthesis. It absolutely infers that you believe that a person who becomes Catholic has left Christ’s Church.
“Strive for peace with all men, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord. 15 See to it that no one fail to obtain the grace of God; that no “root of bitterness” spring up and cause trouble, and by it the many become defiled; 16 that no one be immoral…” Heb 12:13-16Now that your “on the road”, what are you actually doing to get salvation?
You believe you are saved by works?I think it is a sophomoric reference to the 7 dwarfs “…off to work we go…”
To give them credit, the Calvinists do remind us that the fallenaway were a great problem for the early Church. Which was a reason why many were not baptised until on the point of death. Those who buckled under persecution were really denounced. As by the Donatists. Kind of hard to understand Augustine’s teachings except with reference to them. Come to think of it, weren’t the Scotch Presbyterians like the Donatists? Of course, there was the Pelagian controversy, of which Calvin seem more aware. Did he ever write anything on Donatus?Predestination in Catholic theology has very limited consequences, which is why Catholics have been able to agree to disagree (well, also because the Pope told them to agree to disagree–one of the more obvious benefits of having a Pope!). However, in Calvinism predestination does have a lot of consequences. For instance, because they think only the elect are ever regenerate they must deny baptismal regeneration (since they naturally aren’t willing to argue that we can know that all the baptized are elect). Or again, if they want to avoid antinomianism (which most of them do) they must say that the elect will behave in a particular way (as I’ve pointed out). It therefore follows that if you commit a serious sin it may be evidence that you are not elect. This is far more terrifying than in Catholicism, where you can always repent. Try reading some of the more vitriolic Calvinist attacks on Scott Hahn, for instance (or don’t and say you did–it will be better for your soul!). They can’t say that he was once a believer and has now fallen away, but their view of post-Tridentine Catholicism won’t let them say that he is still a believer (this is not true of all Calvinists, but of the really conservative types that Hahn used to hang out with), and they are too realistic to have any significant hope that he will ever return to the “true faith.” So they must say that he was never really a believer, and even that he never really understood what the Gospel is all about.
Edwin
So becoming Catholic is to be in error? By what authority do you speak?What I said was
IMHO you were never “saved” (1 John 2:19) Or you are in error but will eventually persevere. In reality no one can accurately answer the question but the Lord
There are many things that we can know. One is that, if we keep His commandments, Christ abides in us, and we in Him.Well, I assume that you do not know your final destination? In RC theology that would be the sin of presumption, i believe?
What are you doing to get to heaven?
My understanding of the Catholic view of predestination is that God predestined everyone for Heaven and that Jesus died for everyone, included non-believers. Unfortunately, some use their free will and do not cooperate with God’s plan of salvation. These are the branches that are pruned from the vine and thrown into the fire.Predestination in Catholic theology has very limited consequences, which is why Catholics have been able to agree to disagree (well, also because the Pope told them to agree to disagree–one of the more obvious benefits of having a Pope!).
No, I don’t believe I am saved by works. I was expaining kaycee’s use of “Hi Ho.” He/she thinks that is what Catholics believe.You believe you are saved by works?That’s not RC teaching. That’s not even Catholic Teaching.
Well, KayCee was referring the the Roman Rite teachings, which of course would follow the Catholic Teaching that we are saved by God’s Grace alone.No, I don’t believe I am saved by works. I was expaining kaycee’s use of “Hi Ho.” He/she thinks that is what Catholics believe.
Right. What does the quote refer to then? What did you think that Welderman “left?” It is obvious what you meant by that post, and now you are backpedalling to try to cover up your uncharitable inference.What I said was
IMHO you were never “saved” (1 John 2:19) Or you are in error but will eventually persevere. In reality no one can accurately answer the question but the Lord
One can grow in grace through humility:And in concrete terms, how does one get more grace? Is is just praying to God for grace?
Is this relevant to the topic? Catholics believe that we are to be Christ in the world. It is grace that enables us to bear fruit in our lives, giving testimony to HIm, and to make his way known to those who know Him not. Do you think such thinking condemns Catholics to hell?What would fear and trembling in todays world look like? Examples?
Oh, my apologies. I didn’t realize kaycee was encouraging me to follow the teachings of the Catholic Church.Well, KayCee was referring the the Roman Rite teachings, which of course would follow the Catholic Teaching that we are saved by God’s Grace alone.
No, not saying that by works only is what RC’s believe. It’s Faith and Works for the RC.No, I don’t believe I am saved by works. I was expaining kaycee’s use of “Hi Ho.” He/she thinks that is what Catholics believe.
Which evangelicals…you all agree on everything 100% now?No, not saying that by works only is what RC’s believe. It’s Faith and Works for the RC.
What is meant by Faith for RC’s? It is not the same definition for evangelicals.
Can you define the RC concept of grace?One can grow in grace through humility:
James 4:5-6
6 But he gives more grace; therefore it says, “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”
No I dont think that, I believe we are all saved by Grace thru Faith. Trying to add works to merit heaven is not the Gospel of Grace.Is this relevant to the topic? Catholics believe that we are to be Christ in the world. It is grace that enables us to bear fruit in our lives, giving testimony to HIm, and to make his way known to those who know Him not. Do you think such thinking condemns Catholics to hell?
Well, you’re a convert, so you probably know more then meWhich evangelicals…you all agree on everything 100% now?
You are correct of course. The Catholic Church and the Bible both teach that Faith and Works go together.
I think it is the same, in most cases. Catholcism teaches that we are saved by grace, through faith. The faith that mixes with grace resulting in salvation is a faith that works.No, not saying that by works only is what RC’s believe. It’s Faith and Works for the RC.
What is meant by Faith for RC’s? It is not the same definition for evangelicals.
I think a more accurate way of representing it is that we bear fruits that befit repentance, and that we try to live a live worthy of the calling to which we have been called. Catholics don’t see that living a life if saving grace is separate from being justified by that same grace.Can you define the RC concept of grace?
No I dont think that, I believe we are all saved by Grace thru Faith. Trying to add to that to merit heaven is not the Gospel of Grace.
Pretty much the same…see guanophore’s description in post above.Well, you’re a convert, so you probably know more then me, but I was taught that faith is a verb. We must LIVE our faith.
![]()
Not sure about RC, but the CATHOLIC Church says that Grace is a gift freely given, and unmerited.Can you define the RC concept of grace?
Well, you’re adding faith to the Gospel of Grace. That’s not Biblical.No I dont think that, I believe we are all saved by Grace thru Faith. Trying to add to that to merit heaven is not the Gospel of Grace.