Why does God create souls he know will wind up in hell?

• Thread starter Thread starter akck
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Appreciate the passage, many thanks for posting it but I think it is a fact that our works do matter when it comes to salvation, God appreciates those who have done good. God appreciates those who have made an effort, any effort and it is only right that he rewards those who have made sacrifices and suffered hardships, long hours of toil.
I see where you are coming from…does this help?

Faith without Works Is Dead​

14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters,[a] if you say you have faith but do not have works? Can faith save you? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and lacks daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and eat your fill,” and yet you do not supply their bodily needs, what is the good of that? 17 So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead.

18 But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I by my works will show you my faith. 19 You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder. 20 Do you want to be shown, you senseless person, that faith apart from works is barren? 21 Was not our ancestor Abraham justified by works when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was brought to completion by the works. 23 Thus the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness,” and he was called the friend of God. 24 You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone. 25 Likewise, was not Rahab the prostitute also justified by works when she welcomed the messengers and sent them out by another road? 26 For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is also dead.

😃

Basically there is no way to decide between two exactly same choices by rational mind. If there is ability to decide, then choices are not same. This applies mostly to situations where choice holds significance. Poor animal in paradox couldn’t decide whether to go for water or food because it was equally thirsty and equally hungry meaning it remained in the middle and died. Of course that is just metaphorical.
Yes, but I do not find it interesting.
It isn’t a matter of whether it is or is not interesting. But it points out that there is no way to choose between two equally good things. Of course that is simply human understanding and God transcends that, but it’s interesting notion.

Last edited:
Yet it was said it would be better if Judas had not been born;

That means it would be better if God did not permit his birth. Yet God did. But God always does best possible thing so how can it be “better” than what God really did?

Catholicism does NOT teach double predestination, which is what you appear to be proposing. That’s Calvinism.

I suppose he does need grace but he still achieves the good work out of his own efford, God did not drag him by the hand to do it.
True, but God does offer us a hand up to make it easier if we respond to His grace.

No, I’m not. You really did misunderstand what I said.

Or perhaps you misunderstand predestined.

Since we are temporal beings we look at all events, including eternity, as before X, during X, and after X. Therefore a person who thought in a temporal way might believe that God, just like His creatures, experienced existence in a before, during, and after way —that he ‘predestined’ a creation, then ‘made’ the creation, and then ‘looked back’ at the creation because He had ‘seen it all’ and so He ‘knew before He created’.

But God is NOT a being who exists ‘in time’. He CREATED time. What I describe for eternity as a kind of continuous ‘now’ is itself limited by the idea of ‘now’ which is itself a temporal construct, but we do not have any idea of what it is like to live ‘outside of time’ since we aren’t God. A kind of ‘continuous now’ thus is about as close as we can get to acknowledging that there is definitely existence itself, but that it is not some span of ‘year after year after year’ in which people have a constant ‘before, during, and after’ experience, I.e., ‘time’. We know that we will ‘do’ things, and here on earth, doing something involves TIME. That’s why there used to be things like a ‘year’s indulgence’ prayer for remission of ‘time in purgatory’ because, again, people knew eternity didn’t mean ‘not existing’ but they had not fully grasped the idea that God was not limited to Time and Space. And again, there is going to be SOME kind of existence experience for eternity. God gives us ‘time’ here on earth, so in eternity there will be something analogous, but our minds can’t grasp it.

Look at an unborn child, surrounded by amniotic fluid and attached to his mother via an umbilical cord. That child is alive and growing, can hear, etc. Then after birth, he is still alive and growing but he can use his lungs, he can see, he can taste and smell, etc. The existence outside the womb is almost totally unlike existence in the womb, but both existences, depending on the development of the child, were perfectly adequate and necessary. One would not put even a 2 day old child back into a woman’s uterus and attempt to reattach the cord and think the child would thrive; no more would one, except in modern times and with the use of many medical tools and advancements, take even a 36 week old child in the womb and ‘bring him out’ and expect him to thrive, and of course, the younger the gestational age, the more likely the child would simply die outside the womb.

Well, wouldn’t heaven be something like that? Wouldn’t it make sense that on the earth we would be like children in the womb, growing and thriving, hopefully, getting ready to be ‘born’ into a world where things would seem very strange and new, where we would suddenly use organs we never even knew we were developing, but which during our time on earth through our actions for God and others we were in fact honing to perfection?

Actually I’m getting ready for bed but I’ll see if I can ‘allow’ a PM and I’ll check tomorrow. I’m not the most tech-y of people but I’ll try.

That leads to an interesting discussion of “justice”, doesn’t it?
Justice is what God considers just.

In any case, Karlo Broussard does a reasonable good job tackling the issue. My own hiccup would be with our ignorance in being able to actually fathom the depth of infinite offense to enough of an extent so as to be able to willfully commit it. Or perhaps we do… or perhaps even if we did, we still would. After all, the fallen angels certainly did.

Again that’s the Angel saying it, not God.
Perhaps you missed my earlier post(#228) to you, which said …

" Regarding God testing Abraham in Genesis 22, there are two possibilities:
  1. The “angel” that speaks to Abraham is not speaking on his own behalf but is relaying the words of God.
  2. Some Bible scholars believe the “angel” is Christ, because he speaks as if he is God himself.
In verse 12 the angel says, “now I know that you fear God, and have not spared your only begotten son for my sake .” For whose “sake”? … for the angel’s “sake”? No, not if the “angel” is just a creature - it is for God’s “sake”.

That the angel is not speaking the words of God is even more obvious in verses 15-18:

“And the angel of the Lord called to Abraham a second time from heaven, saying: [16] By my own self have I sworn, saith the Lord: because thou hast done this thing, and hast not spared thy only begotten son for my sake: [17] I will bless thee, and I will multiply thy seed as the stars of heaven, and as the sand that is by the sea shore: thy seed shall possess the gates of their enemies. [18] And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed, because thou hast obeyed my voice."

Therefore, either way (1 or 2), when the “angel” says, “now I know that you fear God”, it is obviously God speaking."

Last edited:
Yet it was said it would be better if Judas had not been born;

That means it would be better if God did not permit his birth. Yet God did. But God always does best possible thing so how can it be “better” than what God really did?
The answer is very simple; Jesus in fact says: " The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born." Mt 26:24

It would have been better for him, not for humanity!
God always do what is best for humanity, even if this can be not the best solution for a single person.
God freely choose to create the souls who will go to Hell, even if He has always known eternally that they will freely choose evil, because through them He will lead more souls to heaven, and this is the best possible thing.

Last edited:
" Regarding God testing Abraham in Genesis 22, there are two possibilities:…
I think you are reading too much into those verses. In the Old Testament you find verses which express an immature antropomorphic concept of God, such as God who repents, etc. Those verses are not to be interpreted literally

Okay. What I don’t understand is why God could not/did not choose to not create Hitler. Explain that to me. Be patient, it’s just not clicking and that is my main issue with your statements.
Even accepting your wrong premise that God created Hitler because He is unable to choose not to create evil souls, the point is that, you accept that, after creating Hitler’s soul, God knew what Hitler would have done. God could have prevented Hitler from doing that in many ways, for example Hitler could have died by a stroke before being elected. If God allowed Hitler to do what he did, it is because that was the best choice for the histroy of humanity. The truth is that God has always known eternally that it was the best choice for the history of humanity, and this is the reason why God created Hitler’s soul , knowing all what Hitler would have done.

Last edited:
It would have been better for him , not for humanity!
If that is the case then God can make a human being that is miserable and will never feel joy just to help humanity as a whole. Sort of sacrifice 1 to help thousands. That’s all fine, but does that mean God does not love this human being? Or does He love this human being but He simply says “sorry but you are going to suffer so others don’t have to, and there is no retribution for you whatsoever” ?

Ultimately, this means God saw our sins but did not care enough about them to prevent us sinning. Indeed, as our Lord said, He did not come to bring peace, but sword and fire. To turn family against itself- father against son, son against father…

Last edited:
What does even God’s love for Judas practically mean? We know love is not emotion but act. Judas was created by God despite God himself saying it would be better for Judas had he not been born. So God did not act in interest of Judas and forced his existence which He knew would result in his damnation. So, if love is not simply emotion but act, what is God’s love for Judas?

I understand Judas freely chose hell and essentially damned himself. But God himself said it would be better for Judas had he not been born and hence God sacrificed Judas (by creating him) for sake of humanity.

If that is the case then God can make a human being that is miserable and will never feel joy just to help humanity as a whole. Sort of sacrifice 1 to help thousands. That’s all fine, but does that mean God does not love this human being? Or does He love this human being but He simply says “sorry but you are going to suffer so others don’t have to, and there is no retribution for you whatsoever” ?
What retribution are you taking about? Judas freely chose to betray Christ, and you think he should be retributed for this horrible crime?
Actually, Judas received the gift of life and could enjoyed the joy of life during his eartly life, he could also know Christ personally, without doing anything to deserve it. He received much more than he deserved.
Ultimately, this means God saw our sins but did not care enough about them to prevent us sinning.
Because , if God prevented us from sinning, He would destroy the essence of the human being. All those who go to Hell have freely chosen evil and have received in their eartly life much more than they deserved.

What I think is unfair is that St Paul denied God 3 times but was forgiven while Judas denied God once and was not given time to ask for forgiveness, is it fair for God to save some mortal sinners but not all?

Well OK maybe what God did with Judas was fair as he had despaired but I still find it unfair that God saves some sinners but not all, very unfair when all sinners have the same demerits deserving of eternal punishment, why not send all sinners to Hell the moment they have committed a mortal sin?

Why not give a sinner infinite chances, or is that simply impossible? Some saints said that God would only forgive a certain number of sins before a sudden death, like St Alphonsus Liguori who said that a sinner can only sin so many times before he exhausts God, s patience.

Actually, Judas received the gift of life and could enjoyed the joy of life during his eartly life, he could also know Christ personally, without doing anything to deserve it. He received much more than he deserved.
I see. Yet in itself this life and his choices were and never would be worth it for him.
Because , if God prevented us from sinning, He would destroy the essence of the human being. All those who go to Hell have freely chosen evil and have received in their eartly life much more than they deserved.
So while non-existence is individually better than hell, objectively speaking it isn’t?

We deserve Hell if we do serious sin but it does not mean we should go to Hell without having an immense battle with God, the only souls that should be permitted to go to Hell are those who tell God personally to his face that they find the idea of Heaven tiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back