B
BrooklynBoy200
Guest
Protestants don’t believe in original sin?
What events do you have proof of after 2000 years? What does proof of historical events 2000 years ago look like? What other events 2000 years ago, events that you accept as probably correct, could meet the standards of proof you wish to apply to Christianity?I’m referring to the initial belief. Why is your faith in Catholicism the correct one? Sure, if Jesus rose from the dead, then what he said is true, the key word being “if”. That sort of story is not difficult to make up, and you do not have proof that it is true even after 2,000 years.
You don’t get it. You’re quoting Jesus but the OP doesn’t accept that what we claim to know of Jesus is even true!It’s not the correct faith. It’s riddled with traditions of men, which Jesus warned against. Sprinkling, The Pope and original sin, just to name a few. Even the reason for baptism is wrong. Most of the problems can easily be proven wrong, it’s just a matter of the person being willing to accept their own faults.
Do you believe that there is an objective truth? I would hope that you would say yes. The task we all face then, is to try to determine what this objective truth is. Personally, I feel that the Cosmological Argument shows us that there must exist some first-cause-without-cause. We can argue about this until we are blue in the face (I’ve already been doing it on another thread), but I would recommend reading the book God, Chance and Necessity by Keith Ward if you really want to challenge yourself on this Argument.Hello,
I fail to see how it is possible for Catholics to say “God is real,” and why they completely ignore the thousands of other religions out there.
What makes Catholicism the truly correct religion? You can’t say it’s a matter of faith due to the fact that it’s a matter of faith among ALL other religions, you (Catholics) simply have the popularity advantage.
Is this post for me? I don’t see anywhere where the term “household” was used. For the time being, I am taking this method of switching topics as a ploy to avoid answering my questions. You might’ve seen where you were wrong, you might not. I don’t know. What you’re doing right now is avoiding my questions, in my opinion. Just to refresh…If you’re going to use any scriptres that use the term household to say that this includes children, then you know little about the society of the day. In those times only ppl of a responsible age (aka, accountability) were included in the term “household”
Hint: Don't come off as strong or belligerent. Let's try to be respectful here. :)Evil King Ln3,Hello,
I fail to see how it is possible for Catholics to say “God is real,” and why they completely ignore the thousands of other religions out there.
What makes Catholicism the truly correct religion? You can’t say it’s a matter of faith due to the fact that it’s a matter of faith among ALL other religions, you (Catholics) simply have the popularity advantage.
They were the bishops of the Catholic Church, such as Ignatius of Antioch.Sorry dbacks, you’re right, I just get all excited when I join these debates. To answer your question, let me ask you a question. Who were the men left with the responsiblity of carrying on the Lords work after he left the earth? That is where you will find the answer.
So what about Paul and Barnabas? Were they apostles? Yes. Where they in the Twelve? No.Wrong, the twelve apostles were. They were the only ones who lived with Jesus from beginning to end. They also had the supernatural ability of speaking in many tongues.
That’s quite all right! First, let’s look at Mt. 16:16-19. Here’s a usccb.org/nab/bible/matthew/matthew16.htmSorry dbacks, you’re right, I just get all excited when I join these debates. To answer your question, let me ask you a question. Who were the men left with the responsiblity of carrying on the Lords work after he left the earth? That is where you will find the answer.
For your question, look at verse 19. Jesus just gave Peter the Keys to Heaven. These Keys are a symbol of authority. Jesus also tells him that whatever he binds on earth will be bound in Heaven, etc. Peter has the authority to make infallible statements, such like Mary was born without the stain of original sin. Some of this binding and loosing is shared with the other apostles. This means that the Church (Roman Catholic) is hierarchal. The Pope (successor of Peter) has the most authority and is the only one who is infallible in matters of faith and doctrine (important to distinguish between this and other things, like who's gonna win the superbowl. In this case, the Pope is not infallible). Next up are the other Bishops. They have the power to ordain priests, and are the shepherds for their respective diocese. Priests have the least power. All three offices all share some of the powers however. The authority to forgive and retain sins, consecrating the Eucharist, and administer the Sacraments. (Priests cannot confirm however.) If you want more biblical verses for this and for any Catholic doctrine or belief, go on over to [scripturecatholic.com](scripturecatholic.com) If you want to talk further, please don't hesitate :)What events do you have proof of after 2000 years? What does proof of historical events 2000 years ago look like? What other events 2000 years ago, events that you accept as probably correct, could meet the standards of proof you wish to apply to Christianity?
I won’t deny, you make a good point, but here’s the truth. You can prove many things of happening 2,000 years ago, all through science. You know that as well as I do. You know that we can dig up ancient dead bodies and identify them, and can test artifacts for how old they are, etc., to prove many things by putting the pieces together.I’m going to go out on a limb here and guess that you accept other historical events as probably having occurred, which have no more evidence than the story of Jesus. And yet you don’t assume that they were just made up. Why do you approach the story of Jesus with such skepticism, if you don’t apply the same level of skepticism to all of history?
I saw your restatement after my post. Here’s another thing that is special about the Keys. Jesus was mimicing scripture when He did this. Go here again. usccb.org/nab/bible/isaiah/isaiah22.htmI take it you didn’t get the restatement?
Read verse 22. There they are! The Keys that Jesus mention are a reference to this verse. The Catholic Church is the Perfected Davidic Kingdom. The Keys are a symbol of a.)Authority b.) Representation and c.) Succession.
Take a look at history. Ever since Peter, the first Pope, there is an unbroken link of successors. There is not one break in the line. Same with the other Bishops. The first Bishops were succeeded by others, and so on and so on. And here we are! Take a look back at Mt. 16:16-19. Jesus talks about how the Gates of the Netherworld will not prevail against His Church. We are the living proof of that Promise! God Bless! :)
Finally, someone who I can talk philosophically with! There is a philosopher who you’d might like. His name is William Clifford. His essay, “The Ethics of Beliefs” is very much the same argument you propose. His main point is this. “it is wrong always, everywhere, and for anyone, to believe anything upon insufficient evidence.” Google his essay and read it. Then I’d like for you to view another essay by William James. It is called, “The Will to Believe”. Both essays aren’t long, and after you have read both, please share what you’ve found with us. Look forward to your thoughts!I won’t deny, you make a good point, but here’s the truth. You can prove many things of happening 2,000 years ago, all through science. You know that as well as I do. You know that we can dig up ancient dead bodies and identify them, and can test artifacts for how old they are, etc., to prove many things by putting the pieces together.
Why do I approach the story of Jesus with such skepticism? Perhaps because of the endless flaws, circular logic and reasoning, and the fact that I’ve never, not once in my life, EVER seen something that can even mildly prove God’s existence. Don’t get me wrong, Jesus I’m assuming existed due to all the literature and such written about Him, but isn’t it convenient I haven’t seen God? Nor anyone I know? And don’t you dare reply to say that “people see God all the time and talk to him through prayer.”
Why? because hundreds of supposed “miracles” happen every day. Isn’t it nice that some cancer patients survive? Isn’t it nice that we associate the survivors with a miracle? That’s idiotic. What about the millions of starving people in the world? What about the HUNDREDS of genocides occurring because of religious clashes, Yugoslavia being a good recent example. What about the thousands of other cancer patients who try their hardest but Die? What about all the meaningless deaths? What about the people who have never heard of God? Do they go to Hell? Why would God create them in the first place? Why did God purposely create us, and since he created everything, how does he get the right to throw me in Hell? He would have to be the worst thing ever to exist if He throws me to Hell when I die because I live a life of honesty and I respect the morals set by the church, I simply don’t believe in the church! He created my mind, my thoughts, what I’m saying right now, and where I’m destined to go!
My point is, you say that I just as easily believe in other things from 2,000 years ago, but that is not true. I believe in those things when there is support for those things. Theres plenty of things I do NOT believe in that are thousands of years old because they are made-up legends/stories, just like the Bible. Going back to the Egyptians example, ofcourse I don’t believe in Aten, or Osiris, etc, because they are impossible, just like God. If I see it, I will believe it, but it is not faith if we are put into a dishonest world where millions of lies are told everyday, and for some reason Christianity is the true one good religion.
Religion is the adult Santa Claus.