Why is it not a sin to eat meat, fish, eggs?

• Thread starter Thread starter rodney1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the Holy Bible, we are only allowed to eat meat from animal species which chew the cud, but divide the hoof.
The swine also, because it divideth the hoof, but cheweth not the cud, shall be unclean, their flesh you shall not eat, and their carcasses you shall not touch.
In the very early days of the Church, the Council of Jerusalem ruled that Gentile Christians are exempted from the Jewish dietary laws. You can read all about it in Acts 15. Yes, it’s in the Bible!

Last edited:
Jesus Christ, our true God - who created everything in the universe declared in Mark’s Gospel that all food is clean to eat. (Mk 7:18-19).

God spoke to Peter in a dream and said that all animals created by God have been made clean. (Acts 10:13-15)

Jesus Christ is the fulfilment of the Law and the Prophets; anything Jesus teaches expands, clarifies, or supersedes anything from the old Law.

Don’t make the mistake of thinking Jesus can’t amend or expand some previous teaching (including Noahide laws) - that is material heresy against the divine nature of the Logos, the Son of God.

Besides the food example, clearly demonstrated in Mark; confer the correction of teaching on divorce that Jesus gives in Mark (Mk 10:11) over the existing (faulty, and incomplete) teaching from the old Law.

Deacon Christopher

Human flesh is food.
Yeah, you are off on that one. If you want to say that cannibalism is an acceptable practice, barring “immoral means” (which could be avoided easily enough), we could have a chat about it. Principally, it is opposed to the resurrection (not unlike scattering ashes), while eating a nice steak is not - no resurrection for animals and plants, and in general is abhorrent to the order of nature by strong intuition. (And now you see the logic of the Eucharist, “flipping” this desire of the nations to eat flesh, which is now efficacious for the resurrection in the Eucharistic Flesh of Our Lord.) The Old Law existed for more precise reasons. Specifically, the “cleanliness” laws related at least in part to the “gap” between worlds, the world of the living and the world of the dead/beyond… So that is why menstruation and leprosy are also “unclean” - there is a kind of lack of clarity of which world one is “in.” (Now it is spiritualized - so the lepers are those in mortal sin… in between spiritual life and full spiritual death. It’s also why we say we “purify” sacred vessels after their use… it is not that the Eucharist is impure - it is that the lack of clarity is impure. And the spiritualization of the Old Law is where we find the logic of Christ “fulfilling” the meaning of the earlier laws by effectively abolishing them materially and centering them in Himself.) For dietary laws, the significance may not be as clear, and it may include other elements as well. It’s always worth reading Thomas on such things as well…

It is not worth arguing with the other poster.

Last edited:
40.png
EugeneCharles:
Pizza without cheese nor even pepperoni :crazy_face:
If no dead animals are involved, it’s not “pizza.”
😱 :roll_eyes:

Rather, it would be "a roundish california foo-foo thing with (maybe) cheese and tomato sauce . . .

Mayb
Yaaaaahhh! Pizza started out vegetarian, and meat is a relatively recent innovation. My thing these days is cauliflower-crust pizza, which is not at all nasty, as one would expect it to be. I get them frozen and produced by this “pizza kitchen” place that originated somewhere to the west of Nevada…

This is one dumpster fire of a thread that I promised myself I would stay out of, but I just couldn’t restrain myself.

I have always wanted to try lahmacun (“llama-June”), which is a Levantine take on pizza with minced meat, herbs, and so forth.

Last edited:
@rodney1, was your original question answered to your satisfaction?

Last edited:
If you want to say that cannibalism is an acceptable practice,
It isn’t. My point was that the reason it’s immoral is not because it’s ritually unclean like some foods in the Old Testament, but for other reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back