Why is scrupulosity wrong?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tagd
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, you do know how Christ desires you to live your life. He says so in scripture. Might I recommend reading the Gospels once again and talking with your Priest?
We know he wants us to be saved but there’s that whole free will thing and we don’t know how much free will is too much free will. Also just because he wants us there doesn’t mean we have what it takes to get us there. I’m sure he wants us to dedicate every second of every day to prayer too but most of us don’t.
 
In order for a sin to be mortal, it must meet three conditions:

Mortal sin is a sin of grave matter
Mortal sin is committed with full knowledge of the sinner
Mortal sin is committed with deliberate consent of the sinner

If you don’t meet these 3 conditions you should not have fear. I strongly suggest you speak with your Priest.
 
It sounds very calvinistic of you to have that thought. They believe in that “Total Depravity” concept
This is from a quick google search so forgive me but “Referring to Scripture and the Church Fathers,[22] Catholicism views human free will as deriving from God’s image because humans are created in God’s image.” This is the Catholic view on the topic but as we know since Jesus said the path is narrow that left alone to just free will humans don’t have what it takes to be saved. So it seems to me that free will cant be trusted as a reliable means to avoiding damnation, but we know that free will isn’t all we have but we also have guidance by the holy spirit but its through our warped free will that we interpret this guidance so are we just back to square one?
 
I’m sure he wants us to dedicate every second of every day to prayer too but most of us don’t.
He never asks the impossible of anyone .
BTW, praying ceaselessly doesn’t necessarily mean praying a rosary every minute of the day. It has more to do with going all things as unto the Lord. Do little, normal things with love. Loving God and loving others are our commandments. That can be manifested in the most normal of daily activities. And He doesn’t expect perfection because He knows we are human!
 
We are not in a faith of fear. We are in a faith of love. An obsession with sin, death and judgment is not healthy and does not assist us on our journey heavenward. We must always bear sin in mind, but not allow it to control our consciousness. God is infinitely more powerful than sin!

Besides, scrupulositry is a cognitive disorder that produces doubt. Doubt in self, doubt in God and His mercy. In a faith (which is a positive), doubt (a negative) is never good. A sin? Only if one realizes it and does nothing in an attempt to correct it.

Will some of us struggle our entire lives against it? Yes. It is a cross to bear, but we are expected to struggle, even if we are not ultimately victorious. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is the gold standard is treatment of all forms of anxiety. It does not involve drugs. It can help restore peace.

Jesus left us peace. His peace He gave us.

No room for doubt and scrupulosity there.
 
Last edited:
From what I understand the idea that we have a chance at salvation at all even if it seems slim is more forgiveness than we can possibly imagine so anymore forgiveness on top of that should be backed up with verses from scripture. What I mean is when people talk about gods unending mercy we already received his unending mercy through the sacrifice of Christ and at this point its all expectations from here and the idea that were are not giving 100% of our lives to make true on his forgiveness than that’s going to be our fault.
 
Is it possible to live a life of joy and peace and also engage in scrupulosity? I doubt it.
 
He doesn’t expect perfection because He knows we are human!
Where in scripture does it say anything like this. I’m afraid that over the course of 2000 years people have pushed some of the nearly insurmountable requirements for salvation onto the fact that god is merciful in an attempt to make people feel better because the elect will be few. For acceptance into heaven aren’t we required to be as perfect as possible? But hey I only converted 2 years ago so what do I know hopefully someone can tell me why I’m wrong preferably with some evidence from scripture
 
Last edited:
If we were capable of perfection He wouldn’t have had to send Christ to die for our sins.
 
I think anyone who takes their faith seriously can expect to experience scrupulousity at times.
If you don’t I don’t get it.
If I know I have sinned and the Church says I am in mortal sin why would i not take that seriously?
 
Scrupulosity is wrong for a number of reasons, as has been shown. Often it is a form of OCD/anxiety and is therefore an illness.

From a religious perspective, it stops growth in the faith. Because people are so genuinely terrified if they think they have committed a sin, they don’t stop thinking about it. They can’t get past it.
If I know I have sinned and the Church says I am in mortal sin why would i not take that seriously?
That’s the problem with scrupulosity. Most of the time people do not know whether they have sinned. As a consequence, they worry that everything is a sin. So it’s not a question of not taking things seriously. If anything, it’s a case of taking things too seriously.
 
Last edited:
I’m sure he wants us to dedicate every second of every day to prayer too
Why do you think that? Do you believe that He doesn’t want us to eat, or sleep, or marry, or have and rear children?
 
I think anyone who takes their faith seriously can expect to experience scrupulousity at times.
If you don’t I don’t get it.
If I know I have sinned and the Church says I am in mortal sin why would i not take that seriously?
Because if you have sinned mortally and you know it, then you take it seriously then you go to Confession, and don’t torment yourself with “did I sin? did I sin? hey CAF, did I sin? Is this a sin? Is that a sin? I saw a commercial with a woman in a bra. I went to the beach and I removed my blindfold coz my eyes were itchy and I saw a (gasp!) female human being in a (gasp!) swimsuit! Two-piece!!! (gasp! wheeze)! Am I going to hell? I won’t speak to a confessor because I have a real neat excuse for not doing so despite knowing that it what’s I should do.”

THAT is scrupulosity. Not the normal remorse and sorrow one feels when one is conscious of REAL mortal sin.
 
Last edited:
40.png
Tagd:
I’m sure he wants us to dedicate every second of every day to prayer too
Why do you think that? Do you believe that He doesn’t want us to eat, or sleep, or marry, or have and rear children?
I think it was the Council of Champagne that decreed that you had to chant the Salve Regina continuously (solemn tone) while making love. And if you used the simple tone, it is a venial sin, and if recited or omitted, it is a mortal sin…

Seriously there’s reality. And then there’s…this (thread).
 
Every moment of every day is a mortal sin waiting to cast me to hell.”
I´ve been struggling with scrupulosity myself. It describes it very well.

The danger about scrupulosity is that it makes you have a negative view on God, and you are likely to feel like Faith is only serious and without any joy.

I´m thankful to God that my scruples are fading.
 
Last edited:
40.png
Glennon_P:
Every moment of every day is a mortal sin waiting to cast me to hell.”
I´ve been struggling with scrupulosity myself. It describes it very well.

The danger about scrupulosity is that it makes you have a negative view on God, and you are likely to feel like Faith is only serious and without any joy.

I´m thankful to God that my scruples are fading.
Being a recovered scrupulous is like being a “dry drunk”. You have to work to keep it under control.
 
Being a recovered scrupulous is like being a “dry drunk”. You have to work to keep it under control.
I do. Each time I worry about a sin I commit, I think of the reasons of why it´s just venial & and how it sometimes is simply my head making me worry.
I sometimes end up in Confession either way, but for at least it´s sometimes for the reason that it was stupid to commit that sin & not because I fear hell because of it.
 
Last edited:
40.png
porthos11:
Being a recovered scrupulous is like being a “dry drunk”. You have to work to keep it under control.
I do. Each time I worry about a sin I commit, I think of the reasons of why it´s just venial & and how it sometimes is simply my head making me worry.
I sometimes end up in Confession either way, but for at least it´s sometimes for the reason that it was stupid to commit that sin & not because I fear hell because of it.
Yep, and part of my own efforts to recovery is not confessing doubtful sins, and believing my confessor. If he told me that something was “just” venial, then I leave it at that, and if something wasn’t a sin, then it wasn’t a sin and I sometimes have to force myself to allow myself the thing. And I follow my own advice (which isn’t my own but from the spiritual writers on scrupulosity), that if something isn’t 2+2=4 certain to be a sin, then it is not a sin and I do it and not confess it. And for my stay here on CAF, I have not once asked “is this (blah) a sin?” I have had that question before, but that has always gone to my confessor, not the forums.
 
that if something isn’t 2+2=4 certain to be a sin, then it is not a sin and I do it and not confess it.
Yes, but also remember that something is only a sin when you choose something. It practically means that whenever I have a ugly or even blasphemous thought (which wasn´t deliberate) and try to make it go away - it´s not sinful.

To me it was really helpful just beginning to understand what constitutes a sin, and that sins doesn´t ever happen accidentally.
And for my stay here on CAF, I have not once asked “is this (blah) a sin?” I have had that question before, but that has always gone to my confessor, not the forums.
If I was to ask how many people I have annoyed with doing that… Oh well…
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top