Why is the Pope Endorsing Same Sex Unions in Film

• Thread starter Thread starter CourtingTex
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
OraLabora:
Have faith! The Church will hold fast.
Have faith - Francis will not be the Pope forever.
Are you saying you want him to die?

As St. Paul says:

6:9 You know perfectly well that people who do wrong will not inherit the kingdom of God: people of immoral lives, idolaters, adulterers, catamites, sodomites,

6:10 thieves, usurers, drunkards, slanderers and swindlers will never inherit the kingdom of God.

6:11 These are the sort of people some of you were once, but now you have been washed clean, and sanctified, and justified through the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and through the Spirit of our God.

Jerusalem Bible
1 Corinthians 6 9-11

Long ago I had a coworker who would laugh and say, “If you don’t agree it’s because you don’t understand.”

Sad. It was on the front page of my city’s newspaper today. More confusion; more disarray.

A homosexual union is not sinful?
For whatever my two cents are worth:

Civil unions do not necessarily equate to same-sex marriage. Let’s say for example I have a brother, and both he and I are unmarried with no children. I want to confer to him certain legal privileges such as power of attorney, being able to be claimed under my health insurance, filing joint taxes because we live together, etc. A civil union in that sense is perfectly fine. There’s nothing about those legal privileges inherent to marriage. And it is those privileges that have caused problems for arguments against same-sex marriage.

The problems arise when civil union is synonymous to secular marriage.

Am I making sense? I’m trying to be careful with my words.

Last edited:
Civil marriage is a civil right and a re-evaluation of the Church’s teaching on homosexuality is long, long overdue anyway.

The Church has already spoken…approved by Pope John Paul II in 2003:
Those who would move from tolerance to the legitimization of specific rights for cohabiting homosexual persons need to be reminded that the approval or legalization of evil is something far different from the toleration of evil.

In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. One must refrain from any kind of formal cooperation in the enactment or application of such gravely unjust laws and, as far as possible, from material cooperation on the level of their application. In this area, everyone can exercise the right to conscientious objection.
https://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/...cfaith_doc_20030731_homosexual-unions_en.html

If only Sodom and Gomorrah had been more open minded and had established homosexuality as a civil right I’m sure God would have then spared all those poor poor souls from fire and brimstone. :crazy_face:

When will we hear how the Pope can find the tradition of civil unions going back 2000 years??

Homosexuality is a sin. Murder is a sin. Coveting is a sin and the list goes on and on. God is not capable of changing his perfect, all powerful, all knowing nature. Sin doesn’t change its nature either. Murder doesn’t become acceptable to God if it becomes acceptable to people. You and every other human are certainly entitled to your opinions on how you view homosexuality but your view has zero bearing on God’s rightful judgement.

That is incorrect.

The Church’s teachings have never been, are not, and never will be subject to re-evaluation.

Totally agree!!!

Personally my idiosyncratic preference would be for more Latin (like Hebrew, Latin, if employed universally by the Church, would have the effect of knitting together a true international community of believers, as the Jews have done), and more traditional Gregorian hymns and etc., and the priest at the front facing the same way as the parishoners just as before Vatican II, the leader of the congregation, so all of that is my “conservative” side…

But keep the Pauline form of the Mass (in Latin, but more heard by us the people), ditch anything to do with crazy and alienating notions about private sexual choices/identities that people simply ignore anyway, let women be ordained. I’m kinda on the fence about priests being married. I know some are and I get why it would be a good idea, but honestly the sacrifice of some of the pleasures of this life tends to lend a kind of moral authority to the priest that I find absent in Protestant faiths, where the priests/pastors sort of feel like just another person with no more or less insight than anybody else…

Ugh this is absolutely disgusting. Thankfully they are only words from an interview… so not a change in church teaching.

I think that does make sense, actually. So maybe the state should have ‘civil unions’ for all couples, gay or straight… then leave marriage up to churches, the state doesn’t have to be involved. The state of Alabama no longer gives marriage certificates, I think for that reason.

I think that does make sense, actually. So maybe the state should have ‘civil unions’ for all couples, gay or straight… then leave marriage up to churches, the state doesn’t have to be involved. The state of Alabama no longer gives marriage certificates, I think for that reason.
Basically. That’s what I think Pope Francis is saying: if these legal privileges are the problem, then let them have them, as they’re not inherent to marriage. If the problem is the legal privileges after all and not making churches marry them, then what grounds would they then have to force churches to marry them?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back