J
joebillington1
Guest
I find not such a requirement in the Bible. As such, I find that a man may confess and be absolved of his sins by speaking directly with God.
Are you a Catholic?I find not such a requirement in the Bible. As such, I find that a man may confess and be absolved of his sins by speaking directly with God.
It’s like saying “I don’t need anyone to baptize me, I can go directly to God and get baptized”.I find not such a requirement in the Bible. As such, I find that a man may confess and be absolved of his sins by speaking directly with God.
Well Jesus did say to his Apostles,I find not such a requirement in the Bible. As such, I find that a man may confess and be absolved of his sins by speaking directly with God.
.
Hope this helps.

Are you a Catholic?
Absolutely right, not everything is found in the Bible. The word Trinity for example.
- Not every requirement is found in the Bible.
Also let’s not forget James 5:16. “Confess your sins to one another…”
x2 on all of the above answers.I find not such a requirement in the Bible. As such, I find that a man may confess and be absolved of his sins by speaking directly with God.
There are many things in the bible hat you will never notice until and unless you are actually looking for them. How do you know that you are absolved of sin, other than to assume? Jesus told those whom He forgave so that there was no doubt.I find not such a requirement in the Bible. As such, I find that a man may confess and be absolved of his sins by speaking directly with God.
Look at the following authority given by Jesus to His apostlesI find not such a requirement in the Bible. As such, I find that a man may confess and be absolved of his sins by speaking directly with God.
Perhaps it’s in the eye of the beholder, but I see “confession” in the book of Leviticus.…confession. They didn’t have it in the Old Testament…
Well, there is this bit (public confession) in the OT:Perhaps it’s in the eye of the beholder, but I see “confession” in the book of Leviticus.
If you had a sin (x, y, or z) you had to take your spotless animal to the temple and really confess your sin to the priest, so that the ritual of sacrifice was to be performed correctly.
In modern Jewish thought, prayer is the substitute for animal sacrifice. “teshuvah” or repentence can be done anytime, in a moment of thought, even in the slight feeling of regret over sinning.
Would you please expound on this (what are you referring to? Bible verses?—if so which ones? Personal feelings? Some other source?).I find that a man may confess and be absolved of his sins by speaking directly with God
Well, the quick answer is because that’s the way God wants us to do it. In James 5:16, God, through Sacred Scripture, commands us to “confess our sins to one another.” Notice, Scripture does not say confess your sins straight to God and only to God…it says confess your sins to one another.
In Matthew, chapter 9, verse 6, Jesus tells us that He was given authority on earth to forgive sins. And then Scripture proceeds to tell us, in verse 8, that this authority was given to “men”…plural.
In John 20, verses 21-23, what is the 1st thing Jesus says to the gathered disciples on the night of His resurrection? “Jesus said to them, ‘Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you.’” How did the Father send Jesus? Well, we just saw in Mt 9 that the Father sent Jesus with the authority on earth to forgive sins. Now, Jesus sends out His disciples as the Father has sent Him…so, what authority must Jesus be sending His disciples out with? The authority on earth to forgive sins. And, just in case they didn’t get it, verses 22-23 say this, “And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, ‘Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.’”
Why would Jesus give the Apostles the power to forgive or to retain sins if He wasn’t expecting folks to confess their sins to them? And how could they forgive or retain sins if no one was confessing their sins to them?
The Bible tells us to confess our sins to one another. It also tells us that God gave men the authority on Earth to forgive sins. Jesus sends out His disciples with the authority on earth to forgive sins. When Catholics confess our sins to a priest, we are simply following the plan laid down by Jesus Christ. He forgives sins through the priest…it is God’s power, but He exercises that power through the ministry of the priest.
What strikes me is that we hear endless bleating about not having to confess to a priest and about Jesus being our one Mediator - then, in the same breath, those same folks appear to side-step Jesus and go directly to God.Among the many great resources that I have found that answer this issue one of my favorites is from John Martignoni on his 2-Minute Apologetics
Why do Catholics confess their sins to a priest, rather than going directly to God?