Why should i be catholic?

• Thread starter Thread starter raphaela
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was your 20 when I first started going to mass. I like wise worked on Sundays and couldn’t get to Sunday masses. One Sunday miraculously, I got a Sunday off and I went to mass. It was wonderful. I too couldn’t remember the last mass I had gone to. I believe I was 12 but my memory isn’t so great so I couldn’t really remember it. When I got there I found a seat and watched, prayed, and experienced. That was the day I knew God was calling me to the Catholic Church.

I would suggest that you go and watch, pray and experience the mass, and you’ll grow to love it and it will, I pray, help you to find the courage to speak to a priest.

As for the strict parenting question, I would have to say as one who is sadly has a habit of impure thoughts and actions, I wish my mother had been so strict.

Oh and one more think in my RCIA class there was one guy who had tattoos up and down his arms, spiked hair, and all you would associate with a hardcore punk. Now however he and his wife are some of the most loved people in the parish. So don’t be afraid of being rejected.

God bless.

40.png
raphaela:
no, i was adopted and there is no record so i guess it’s no.
Then don’t worry too much about talking about bad sins of years past. They will be washed away in Baptism and there is no need to discuss them.

40.png
raphaela:
…but here are the things i don’t get.
-sunday mass: why is it a sin to miss mass on sunday? Having 2 jobs plus going to school in september, this is not possible. No sacrificies can be made for this one that i can see, if i can get out of having 2 jobs, i would.
If you truly can not get to Mass, then missing Mass is not a sin because you miss it unwillingly. But, you must do everything in your power to try to fulfill your obligation. (And this may mean some sacrifices, but those sacrifices tiny compared to the sacrifice Jesus made for you. Just imagine how you would feel if you gave everything you had for someone and they could not even say thanks with one hour a week.)

raphaela said:
- The idea that catholicism is the only right religion, that everyone else will go to hell: why is this?
-Religious tolerance: I’ve seen thread that say catholics are discriminated against, yet if you associate yourself (ie. have a friend) who is another religion which is completely the opposite of catholicism, somehow you are in trouble because you practice tolerance towards this persons beliefs. why is this?

Catholicism has the fullness of truth. Other religions have elements of truth. In those elements, they are right, and those elements may even provide grace. It is these elements that are true that make these other religions “part Catholic”. It is through this hidden unity with the Catholic Church that a “non-Catholic” may be saved. I.e. a “non-Catholic” may be Catholic and just not know it.

For example, didn’t St. Paul come across some people worshipping at a shrine to an unknown god? He told them about this unknown god – the One True God. Some followed him and some did not. It is very possible that those who followed were united with the Church before they met Paul and were brought to understand their seeds of faith.

Tolerance toweard those of other faiths is insufficient. We sould love them. This does not mean we should be pointing fingers and saying they will burn in Hell. Rather, we should talk friend-to-friend about our faith, privately pray for them, and trust that God will lead them into the fullness of truth according to His plan, not ours.

40.png
raphaela:
  • Job: Reading the posts on this forum and other things (trust me, i’ve read a lot, I’ve been studying catholicism for 2 years to see if it’s right for me), catholicism seems more like a job than spirituality, like you have to work to be saved. Is this true?
It is only a job like being a good friend, a loving husband or wife, a mother or father, etc. is a job. Sometimes when we love someone there is work involved. We don’t do it to get paid or because someone forces us. Rather, we do the work out of love.

Raphaela, why should you be Catholic? Because Jesus loves you!!! He died for you and left His Church for you, so that you could grow in love for Him, get to know Him…so that He could be your very best friend and teach you what it means to be His follower…and so that He could welcome you into Heaven one day. Even if you were the only person on this earth, He would still have died for you. He wants you for His own. And as He looked with tender love upon many of the people he came into contact with during His life, He will not condemn you for your past. What He wants is for you to turn toward Him. And if you turn toward Him, where does that leave your past? Behind you!!! It’s your choice…but He’s standing outside knocking. Will you let Him in?

God love you and bless you and hold you in His heart. ❤️

Mary 👍

40.png
raphaela:
-Restrictions: Reading in the family life forum, it seems that catholics restrict their children. This is a consensus of the extremes i’ve seen not every parent out their. Children can’t listen to rap or rock, watch tv, movies unless screened first for indecent material (even if they are 16), go to public school for fear of making bad incluence friends, use the internet unless devices are placed to track or limit where they go, where clothign from a mall. I went to the modest clothign websites and i must say some of the clothes are hideous. I’m not about dressing like a $2 hoe either, just some of it is just bad. It just seems that catholics restrict their children and themselves from the world.
Yes, many of those clothes are hideous.

Keep in mind that parents have the responsibility to make decisions about how their household is to operate. Some want to shelter themselves from the evils of society. Others want to be a light in the darkness of society. We are all called to different things.

I plan on going to church very soon, and I will even ask for sundays off. I’ve figured out the bus schedule, and the buses don’t run very early. Even though my fiance is pentacostal, I may ask him to attend mass with me, that way i have a ride AND it may even allow him to think about becoming catholic himself. He has said in the past that he would take me to mass if I wanted him to!!!

Raphaela,

I will pray for your journey. Jesus will bless a sincere heart. As you prepare to attend Mass for the first time I would ask you to keep a few things in mind that I dealt with during my conversion.

Depending on the parish, no one might even talk to you when you go for the first time. Mass is about focusing on Christ. It is not a social event or what other Christian denominations term “fellowship”. No disrespect intended; I was Baptist my whole life before converting. This reverence is a beautiful thing to me.

There will probably not be anyone running up and greeting you. Please do not take this personally, as if those there don’t care about you. The fellowship and outreach is usually found in a more appropriate setting (other parish ministries). Look for ways to get involved in the bulletin.

When you attend, try to concentrate on the Mass and what is really going on. I assume that you have covered this during your study. Let Christ speak to you directly. Soak up the reverence and the fact that Christ really comes and dwells among us.

May God bless your beautiful soul as you search for him.

In Christ,

Arso

40.png
raphaela:
I’ve spoken to my friends who are catholic, my fiancee’s grandmother who is as well. I haven’t spoken to a preist yet, i guess because I’m scared they’ll reject me because of my questions. I just find it very hard to follow somethign blindly, i need to know everythign about it before i devote my life to it. My guess is that i am very skeptica about all things due to my ateist upbringing.

i wasn’t trying to make parents who do raise thier children they way they do feel bad or mad. It’s just different. I know it’s not a catholic phenomena, that any parent can do that, it’s just what i have seen on this forum. I guess i feel that being that “strict” (for lack of a better word) doesn’t allow children to choose what’s right from wrong, i mean, how do you know that what you are teaching your children is right if they have no exposure to anything else? i know my parents were wrong in teaching me atheism, because that has hindered me, but they thought that what they were doing was so right. It’s just a question based on observation and personal experience.

Thanks you for your reply!!
I’ve got five sons. I’m “law and order.” There are rights and wrongs in the world and my obligation to my sons is to lead them to the truth. When you really love someone, you want the best for them, like salvation. God does not create children with the intention that they are to stumble through the world until they are old enough to determine what is right and wrong. That’s were I come in. Think about what you’ve said. By your logic, I should permit my kids to use drugs, engage in sex, beat up other kids…whatever so that they can learn right from wrong? And most importantly, my sons must learn from my example more that my words. I try to be “strict” with myself. In todays world it may look “strict,” but its really just trying to live a decent Catholic life.

In any case, see a priest and don’t worry. Many Catholics might ask some of the same questions. And if the priest is not sympathic, find another.

Seems that God is calling you closer to Him.

Blessings
REW

40.png
raphaela:
Randell, thanks!!

If it were up to me, i woudl know everything. I mean I’d join a convent but only for the information not the lifestyle, a nun is somethign i’m not called to be!! I guess I should really take the leap and start going to mass, but right now, it’s the matter of learning the bus system. I know which church i want to attend after researchign all my options. It’s called St. gregory the great. Sounds real good!

I guess with all the things i’ve done in my life and gone through, I’m worried about talking to a priest. Too much stuff to discuss here but most of it is not pretty and definetly sinful.

Beign goth, i’m not ashamed of that, that is just who i am. The dabbling in wicca only happened once or twice but I’ve read a lot. I read a lot about lots of religions, just a hobby of mine. i don’t know, i guess I’m just worried about not fitting in because of all the things i have lacked as a child, ie. religious education, going to church. When I do go to church it will be the first time in 12 years, and I’m 20. I was too young to remember what church was like. I feel I may be rejected.

thank you for your words of encouragement!!
Raphaela ~
I think it’s GREAT you’ve decided on a church to go check out !!

Woo Hoo !

:clapping:

Well, and I believe others have mentioned this, getting some RCIA classes would be a great start in your understanding, and the religious education that you’re wanting. I think its great you DO want to know about being Catholic.

And believe it or not I am currently reading " The Idiot’s Guide to Catholicism". It’s a neat book filled with facts about being Catholic.And it may help answer some questions you may have.
And I’ve been going to church for over 10 years !

Raphaela, I understand how you feel about talking to a priest. I think the thing you’re most worried about is called Confession, yes ?? I can tell you from experience, i’ve done some simply awful things, and yet the Mother Church gave me absolution ! She will for you, as well !
Please remember this, when you’re talking to a priest, and ESPECIALLY in the Confessional, you’re actually whispering in the ear of God. … .

Besides, God already knows the sins you’ve done, but by the sacrifice of Jesus, He washes our sins away. Confession is your way of admitting what you’ve done, knowing it was wrong, and then being made clean by absolution. And with a priest, they CANNOT break their vows of the confessional. This means they can’t tell anybody !!!

i was so scared when I made my first confession, which was only a year ago ! But it felt SO GOOD afterwards. I felt like 1,000 tons of bricks were taken off of me.

if you’d like to talk some more about this, please e-mail me ok ?
i would like to hear from you.

God Bless,

Randall
:cool:

Thanks so much!! I was actually checking out the idoit’s guide the other day at the bookstore! Once I save up my money, I’m going to buy it! But I am glad that you find it informative. Sometimes i need things simplified to understand it fully and then build on the more difficult ideas ( I learned a lot from EWTNkids website)!!! Anyway, thank you very much!!

Wonderfully said Randall :tiphat:

Raphaela, may I suggest more reading before you head to your first mass?
Why do Catholics bounce on one knee?

This will help explain what you’ll be seeing at the mass. Maybe even calm your nerves so you at least have an idea of what is going on.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey ❤️

I can’t read all of the responses so I hope my point hasn’t already been addressed by someone else. The issue I wanted to address was your concern about the ‘job’ or the idea that Catholics (on this board at least) tend to think in terms of restrictions. It is true that we often say things like “DONT watch TV, don’t have sex before marriage, don’t…”. BUT, the important thing to remember is that if we are truly Catholic, we aren’t really rejecting these things. We are trading them in because we know there is something much, much better. Sex outside of marriage is a pale imitation of sex between spouses. Sex between spouses is itself a pale imitation of the love we hope to have in the Kingdom with God. If we reject much of the culture we see on TV, it should really be because we know God has made something much better for us like family life, serving the parish, helping in our communities, living for other people, etc. This kind of search for something better is the real solution to what someone described as the Goth disatisfaction.
True, we often express ourselves in terms of “DONT”, but behind every statement like this, there is a realization that God has given us something much better in this world and the next.

To Raphaela,

Being a Catholic is not about what you can’t do. It is about what you want to do for Love of God.

On the spiritual ladder (if we decide to take that first step) we start out on the bottom wrung. Where we want to end up is the top wrung (Sainthood). It is a journey with each step that brings you not only closer to God but more God like. When in fact this is what we are called to do. God is perfect - we are not.

God has placed in every human being a natural desire to be happy! So then our quest for happiness is actually a quest for the infinite goodness, the infinite truth , the infinite beauty which only the supernatural possession of God in glory can truly give.

I have seen many good explanations here to your questions. But if you want perfect explanations you must start by learning to love God. “Ask and ye shall receive, Seek and ye shall find” You can start on your journey by doing simple prays but of coarse the most perfect way to pray is the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass (which is the ultimate example of God’s Love for us) by which in return we will learn to love Him more perfect.

“God grant me the grace to desire it”

40.png
raphaela:
I’ve spoken to my friends who are catholic, my fiancee’s grandmother who is as well. I haven’t spoken to a preist yet, i guess because I’m scared they’ll reject me because of my questions. I just find it very hard to follow somethign blindly, i need to know everythign about it before i devote my life to it. My guess is that i am very skeptica about all things due to my ateist upbringing.

i wasn’t trying to make parents who do raise thier children they way they do feel bad or mad. It’s just different. I know it’s not a catholic phenomena, that any parent can do that, it’s just what i have seen on this forum. I guess i feel that being that “strict” (for lack of a better word) doesn’t allow children to choose what’s right from wrong, i mean, how do you know that what you are teaching your children is right if they have no exposure to anything else? i know my parents were wrong in teaching me atheism, because that has hindered me, but they thought that what they were doing was so right. It’s just a question based on observation and personal experience.

Thanks you for your reply!!
First of all, let me say that I it is OK to ask questions…No priest, or anyone else, for that matter, will fault you for that. And, I want to welcome you and your questions to this forum.

As to the strict/lenient way of raising children…It is our duty as parents to make our children’s decisons for them, until they are old enough to do so on their own. It is important, on the way however, to teach them HOW to arrive at a good and workable decision…and then give them choices about htigs that they can handle. We must guide our kids in the way they need to go…They may go away from this “way” when they are grown, but you are duty bound to do the guiding. I wish I had been more vigilant when my kids were small…I am grateful that they both turned out to be good, Christian people, who are also good parents.

**Why become a Catholic? The Eucharist is what keeps me Catholic…When I stray it always brings me back to my senses! **

**Many people “join” the Catholic Church and do not actually become Catholic for some time…That is what happened to me, and I know it happens to others (I have been an RCIA catechist for years). You can never know it all. None of us can…There is just too much to KNOW. **

It takes time to assimilate all that the Church teaches, and to make it a true part of your own life. I am a “processer”, so it took a while for me to “process” certain aspects of the faith. That’s OK…

**What I think I am trying to say to you is that if you wait 'till you know and understand it all, you will NEVER be ready to become a Catholic. **

raphaela said:
-sunday mass: why is it a sin to miss mass on sunday? Having 2 jobs plus going to school in september, this is not possible. No sacrificies can be made for this one that i can see, if i can get out of having 2 jobs, i would.

Hi,
Just some thoughts on Sunday Mass…for this was a question I had for long: its not just about the 3rd commandment; there’s a reason for the 3rd commandment and the church insisting on Sunday Mass.Recently I was listening to a series on how to study the bible by Scott Hahn and while explaining something else, I got the answer for this: (its a little long but I hope you have the patience…!)

God created man as well as beasts on the 6th day. But what makes man different from beasts is that while man was created on the 6th day, he was created for the 7th day - for worship.
Man is unique among creation because we are somewhere between angels and beasts - “you made him a little lower than the angels…” (Ps 8)
We are both spirit (like the angels) but have flesh too (like beasts).You can teach a monkey to do a lot of things, but you cant teach it to worship and love God.
Man’s dignity comes from God creating him in His own likeness and image and calling him to communion with Himself in covenental worship - something not given to either angels or beasts!! Angels are higher in the order of creation but are not called into sonship (though they are referred to constantly as “sons of God”)
Man lives in that dignity by responding to Gods call to worship - and God instituted that on the Seventh Day (seven in the bible is also a number signifying the covenant) thats the day He made a covenant with man; when man does not come into worship on the seventh day(thats when we renew the covenant), he slips into the 6th day…with the beasts.
Thats why from the time of creation, God keeps calling us into our true identity as His children,His own sons and daughters and satan keeps trying to push us back into the 6th day…where we just fight for a living,eat and survive…
If you look more closely, what satan did under the guise of the serpent in Genesis 3 is what we find in various forms today - everything is to make man forget his identity as a son of God - thats the root of a lot sins like animalism,sexual perversions and so on…thats why the church is so serious about this - its a theological affirmation of our very identity! this could go on, so i’ll stop now…i hope the message came across??

Blessings,

Raphaela-
Code:
It looks like you have been blessed with many responses and encouragement.  The first step is always scary, but we are here with you as is the Holy Spirit.
The only thing I wanted to respond to is about raising our children. When I was in school and before I was married and had my children, I was very liberal in my thinking and my behaviour.
After my children came, there was something inside of me that wanted to protect them from the bad, especially when they are very young. As children get older, and hopefully if we have laid a good solid foundation, they will choose what is good for them.

On talking to a priest, you might want to talk to a priest that has been ordained in the last 10 years or so. The only reason why I say that is, some priest that were ordained 20-30 years ago, have a tendency to be a bit more liberal in their thinking and teaching the Church’s doctrines.

I’ll be praying for you on your journey.

I HAVE ALSO LEARNED ALOT FROM EWTNKIDS ALSO!!!

GOD BLESS YOU ON YOUR JOURNEY, THE HOLY SPIRIT WILL BE YOUR GUIDE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back