Why should I remain Catholic vs. become a Buddhist or a Hindu?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Susansdec
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Susansdec

Guest
Why is Catholicism superior to Hinduism and Buddhism???
 
Last edited:
I don’t believe any religion is superior to any other. They are different, however, even though they share certain common moral values. No doubt some or many Catholics on the Forum will disagree about the superiority issue.
 
Last edited:
As a new member, I see you are also Catholic, so why do you think Catholicism is or isn’t superior to Hinduism and Buddhism?
 
Last edited:
Why is Catholicism superior to Hinduism and Buddhism???
Just to be clear Catholicism is superior to other religions as a religion, but no man is superior to another regardless of religion.

Hinduism isn’t a static religion and has no empiracal history to back up it’s dieities existence. You may not believe Jesus was divine, but you can atleast say he exists, which again I’d more than can be said for the Hindu Gods.

Buddism isn’t a religion at all it’s just a philosophy or way of living your life. It doesn’t draw anything from the super natural, so if the supernatural does exists, “and as Catholics we believe it does” then Buddaism is also inferior as a philosophy.
 
Last edited:
I was raised as a Catholic and attended Catholic grade school. When I was a young man I became LDS for a few years. Both of these churches are one lifetime only churches. It’s my understanding as someone not actually either a Hindu or a Buddhist (and a very limited understanding of their beliefs) that they are multiple lifetime religions. I believe multiple lifetimes makes more sense and therefore Hinduism and Buddhism are superior to Catholicism.
 
Last edited:
Catholicism is better because it puts man on the lowest level and God on the highest level. It gives you a code to live by. In Buddhism and Hinduism on the other hand, you don’t have a set of strict rules, so you can basically assert yourself as God. At least catholics follow the Gospel as they understand it. In Buddhism and Hinduism, on the other hand, you can pick which scriptures you want to follow and cast aside everything in the faith that contradicts it.

Hinduism and Buddhism are great world religions, but they are nothing compared to Catholicism. I say that as a non catholic.
 
Last edited:
Buddhism is a philosophy and not a religion. It does not profess a God.
Hinduism from its history suggests an origin from the worship of creation through the existence of God in many created manifestations.

Truth is objective and singular - there is no room for ambivalence

Catholicism recognises a relationship with God as creator - outside of His creation. God IS (I am). It recognises this as an “objective truth” to be encountered through relationship with Him. It contains the fullness of truth.
(Much less relevant and beside the point - Catholicsm is philosophically much richer and therefore superior - truth has a habit of being so)

Other religions have elements of truth - some more than others. Therefore they would all fall short.
 
Last edited:
Now, of course; as a Catholic I think Catholicism is superior because Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life.

That being said: I’ve studied these religions and I think they’re interesting from an academic point of view.

Hindu religion confuses me with their understanding that their deities can incarnate on Earth and the relationship between their deities and Brahma seems hazy to me.

Buddhism has always fascinated me. Sometimes I wonder if I wasn’t Catholic, I might’ve become a Buddhist. Except for the whole “ Self is an illusion “ concept.

If I don’t exist, then what reincarnates? Buddhists never satisfactorily resolve that issue.
 
Last edited:
Maximus_Power said:
You may not believe Jesus was divine, but you can atleast say he exists, which again I’d more than can be said for the Hindu Gods.
Krishna who is the avatar of the god Vishnu was born at about 3228 BC and he died at about February 18, 3102 BC. After his death, he was resurrected in the sense that he returned to his transcendental abode. See Bhagavata Purana in Book 11, chapter 31.
Many Hindus believe that Jesus existed and that He visited India somewhere between the age of 14 to 28 years old. This is according to records found in the Himis monastery in Tibet and confirmed by Swami Abhedananda. OTOH, there is a theory going around in western circles, that the story of Jesus is a myth.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...xist-the-traditional-evidence-doesnt-hold-up/

 
Last edited:
When you examine the historical record, you do see that Jesus did exist.
 
Last edited:
AlNg said:
Krishna who is the avatar of the god Vishnu was born at about 3228 BC and he died at about February 18, 3102 BC. After his death, he was resurrected in the sense that he returned to his transcendental abode. See Bhagavata Purana in Book 11, chapter 3
This is the equivalent of me saying that the Bible is the historical proof of Jesus.

It’s your faith and purana is an accurate description of real historical events, and that’s fine, but I’d like to see non evidence from non bias scholars. Just as you would my God.
 
Last edited:
The Jesus myth is so asnine, and besides if you put such strenuous requirements on historical figures what does that do for your Krishna?

Maybe Ghegis Khan didn’t exist. Maybe he was just an idea that the Mongols could rally behind.
Maybe the Chinese historians were forced by the Mongols to write about this said Khan and after, so much time the Chinese forgot that it was a lie.
 
Last edited:
I’ve read that more people have written about Jesus than have written about Julius Caesar.

Maybe Julius didn’t exist
 
Last edited:
Maximus_Power said:
Buddism isn’t a religion at all it’s just a philosophy or way of living your life. It doesn’t draw anything from the super natural, so if the supernatural does exists, “and as Catholics we believe it does” then Buddaism is also inferior as a philosophy.
Buddhism is indeed a religion, albeit one which can include a large dose of philosophy. There is an element of the supernatural – thousands of gods for example – though the supernatural element has less importance in the philosophy.

Buddhism has been going for longer than Christianity, so it is by now possible to find a Buddhist variant with almost no philosophy – Pure Land Buddhism for example, or a variant which is almost all philosophy – Madhyamika Prasangika Buddhism.

HTH
 
Last edited:
Where did you get the idea that we’re more superior than Hinduism or Buddhism?
 
Last edited:
Whereas there is no variance in Christianity. None. There is dissent and apostasy and heresy which gives rise to things which are not what Christ intended. Christ being God. God being the creator of all things and eternal. Nothing older than that.
 
Last edited:
Frankie65 said:
I’ve read that more people have written about Jesus than have written about Julius Caesar.

Maybe Julius didn’t exist
Are there any other eyewitness sources aside from Caesar’s writings on the subject that detail anything about the Gallic War?
 
Last edited:
Maximus_Power said:
Maybe Ghegis Khan didn’t exist.
I suppose it is possible, but do you know of any reputable historian who says so?
 
Last edited:
St.Bede said:
Where did you get the idea that we’re more superior than Hinduism or Buddhism?
Probably the Gospell according to John.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top