Is Human justice better than the godly one?
User124, **Death is not so much a punishment as it is a result of sin. **
If my dad tells me, “Anne, make sure you brush your teeth every night”, and I question him and decide brushing my teeth is seemingly so foolish- why even bother? After all, my teeth are fine as they are! And so I don’t, but later I find out I have cavities and have to have my dad pay for the dental bills (because I certainly don’t have any money) this took away from the funds that were supposed to go towards maintaining our swimming pool, and thus we can’t use it. My dad is not being unfair. He isn’t even punishing me or my family. He even warned me ahead of time. I was the one being unfair. I decided* I *knew better. I didn’t believe him.
What ended up happening was my sin of disobeying brought suffering to my whole family. None of my family could swim in the swimming pool because we no longer had the funds to pay for the chemicals to treat it which instead went towards fixing my cavities which could have been prevented if I just listened to my dad.
My dad did nothing unfair. I could have asked him, “Dad why is brushing your teeth so important?” Or “Dad, what is the big deal about getting cavities?”…and he would have tried his best to explain to me why. However, instead I believed what I wanted to believe and disregarded his warning. I chose to believe I wouldn’t get cavities and I didn’t believe in them mostly because I never had experienced the suffering of one before, nor understood the consequences of having one that needs fixed-- $$$$$ and suffering- not just for me either, but for everyone… maybe even or family dog who liked to swim in the pool with us too.
^semi true story^ We didn’t have a dog who liked to swim in the pool… that was just to demonstrate that sin causes suffering for all. I have a mouth full of cavities though, and yes, I used to not brush my teeth, but I was about five years old at the time.
God is not unfair. We are unfair to Him and others when we sin. He has tried to warn us before hand that there will be consequences. Its up to us to try our best to get to know, love and serve Him.
By the way, punishment never brings back any result of any crime. What I mean by that is, if you punish a rapist, the person raped doesn’t get back what was ripped from them, If you punish a molester, it doesn’t bring back the children’s innocence or the harm done to them does not get wiped away. If a vandal is punished, perhaps maybe he would be made to pay back the victim, but if what was vandalized or destroyed was one of a kind, then it can never be actually repaid. Human justice in this respects is a ‘time out’ for those who obviously need the time to think about what they did, so that they can truly repent. It is not vindication in any shape or form. Sin hurts God and everyone.
I wouldn’t ever dare say human justice is better than Gods. No way. Have you read what people have done to one another as far as ‘justice’ goes? Not cool. Hatfield and McCoy? Do you think their lives were grand? God is merciful and even patient, not a whole lot of humans are! God didn’t put anyone in ‘jail’ because of death. Adam and Eve did, but even though they did, God promised to send a savior, and He did.
By the way have you ever read St. Paul stating in the epistles how now that he is in Christ Jesus that death has no sting… That living is a well as dying… as both are ok as he is in Christ Jesus. ???