Wives Needing Permission to Leave the Home?

• Thread starter Thread starter _AnnoDomini
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn’t seem odd at all to me that my wife would give me some idea of where she is going. I’m not saying she says “please may I leave the house” at all, but I would expect that I have an idea of her whereabouts. As she does of mine.
Of course it’s not odd for her to give you that courtesy, and for you to do the same for her in return.
The OP is about asking permission; not courtesy.

40.png
Freddy:
Indeed. A lot of stuff that was written a long time ago seems anachronistic and weird today.
Sure. But a lot of themes and ideas are also timeless, even if they’re expressed in somewhat anachronistic ways.
I am sure there is a timeless truth in the passage in question, something about the love of spouses.
Why so many people just claiming “it was written a long time ago so just ignore it”?
You’re right. We shouldn’t just ignore it. We should try to discern the truth contained in it.

You’re right. We shouldn’t just ignore it. We should try to discern the truth contained in it.
Why? We have a perfectly good Catechism now, approved by the Church and written for us today in the 21st century. It has all the same doctrine in it, and more, written in a less archaic manner.

If someone wants to go back and read old ones because they have an interest in doing so, fine, it’s a choice. But it’s not necessary, any more than it’s necessary for Catholics today to learn Latin and attend TLM.

Last edited:
Yeah, I’m not fanatic about old Catechisms either, but the method I suggested applies to other archaic writings like the Bible and what we have from the saints.

Last edited:
The Bible is the Word of God, and along with sacred tradition is the public revelation/ bedrock of our faith. I don’t think anyone is saying to ignore that or dismiss it or set it aside.

Agreed Tis. Even I only said the OP could ignore ‘that particular part’ rather than everything the Council decreed. 🙂

Last edited:
Why so many people just claiming “it was written a long time ago so just ignore it”?

Doesn’t seem like a justifiable reason to me. The Gospels were written much longer than 500 years ago & we don’t ignore them on the basis of them being written too long ago.
It’s an interesting and good question. When they don’t like it, “it’s just an old concept”. I think many people do the same with the Gospels.
It cuts both ways though.
Vatican II was a long time ago. Almost 60 years. Different culture. Outdated?

The most recent updates of it were done by Pope Francis in just the last couple years.
Also, 20 years ago is not “a long time ago”. 500 years is.

I wonder how Our Lady would view the question? We should not try to imitate her virtues of obedience any more? The French Revolution changed human nature, perhaps – made us all “grown up” and no longer in need of such teachings?

I wonder how Our Lady would view the question?
My opinion is that Our Lady would tell us to be reasonable, use common sense, and use the Catechism book that our Pope has given us to use now, today.

I’ll be muting this thread now, have a nice day.

Last edited:
The most recent updates of it were done by Pope Francis in just the last couple years.
Also, 20 years ago is not “a long time ago”. 500 years is.
We can hope that a future Pope can make some updates and thus look back at this time when we are ‘culturally out of step’ with what is right.
As for 20 years, I guess it depends. 15 year-olds think it refers to ancient history.

Usually we are culturally ‘out of step’ because the Church is upholding what is right. Is there somewhere in particular we are upholding what is wrong?

I wonder how Our Lady would view the question? We should not try to imitate her virtues of obedience any more?
What are you getting at? That wives should seriously ask for permission?

Saying ‘it’s long ago’ isn’t a good enough response, I agree. In this case, it’s saying, well given the context then, and how the Church has explained this throughout the years, that passage is not binding.

Usually we are culturally ‘out of step’ because the Church is upholding what is right. Is there somewhere in particular we are upholding what is wrong?
Usually, when we try to comply with the fashions, tastes and expectations of the world, we end up being wrong and outdated.

Good point. There are those who are quick to site some ‘ancient’ writing for CITH and women deacons. How many commissions are we up to now ‘studying’ women deacons?

Hello everyone! I’ve been doing some reading on the duties of husbands and wives in marriage, and I was wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on this. I’ve read that in the Catechism of the Council of Trent, it states that one of the duties of a wife is to not leave her home unless there is necessity and has her husband’s permission.
Well, IDK what you are reading, but you need to cease immediately if they are misrepresenting Church teaching so badly.

First, that isn’t what the Roman Catechism says, nor what it means.
This sounds absolutely absurd to me, because according to this logic a wife wouldn’t be able to go out with her friends for lunch (as it’s not a necessity)
Yes, that is absurd. And not at all what the Roman Catechism says, or means.

It’s talking about work, and this is a great article that should clear things up for you:

Was this rule more of a cultural thing, or is it still something that Catholics are expected to follow? Am I misinterpreting it?
I hope it’s a misinterpretation and not that someone is actually teaching such a thing.

First, that isn’t what the Roman Catechism says
It says: “The wife should love to remain at home, unless compelled by necessity to go out; and she should never presume to leave home without her husband’s consent.”

You think it is different from that?

The article you posted cleared it up by saying:
the Roman Catechism is not authoritative
It’s also outdated, as we learned. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back