C
Cristiano
Guest
I think that you are partially right about it. I also think that when this country was build the familiar nucleus was often the only social nucleus and obedience to the leader was expected. Such obedience was not only out of religious justification but also out of practical convenience, and with time I think that the two got mixed together. In older countries you can observe similar mixing between the ecclesiastical power and the political power, such a mix is somehow still in place even when the religious institutions lost their secular power.I think this is more an issue in the US with its protestant/puritan heritage than in historically catholic countries. That’s my experience. It seems much more a protestant mentality in the day-to-day life of a marriage. Like many of those protestant cultural norms in the US, most of us Catholics have been affected by them to some extent.
Maybe I am wrong, but that is my impression.