V
valient_Lucy
Guest
Pope JP II explains it all in this Letter to Women. He does’t ask women to submit to their husbands like a father/daughter relationship either.
It’s because these verses and this concept have been used to keep women from leaving an abusive relationship. My mom (not Catholic) stayed with my father for years because she believed that women should submit to their husbands and that divorce was wrong. My brother and I had to beg her for over a year to get rid of him, because my brother and I simply could not live that life anymore.…neither has any other pope in any other writing. Neither does the Bible.** I don’t get why some of y’all are stuck on this.** (I have read the Letter to Women, btw, it’s great.)
I also remember a conversation I had with a girl in college (also not Catholic) who talked about the women in her family who stayed with husbands who beat them, and she felt that this was the right decision. She explained that women were supposed to be submissive to their husbands, including their husbands’ beatings. If these women went to their (Protestant) pastor for advice on what to do, they were told that they should submit to their husbands.
Please note from the example that I’m not blaming Catholics exclusively for this problem, especially since some of the worst offenders in my experience are Protestants.
Actually, the USCCB published a very good letter about this issue, but the title escapes me.