Women's Ordination

• Thread starter Thread starter Tyler_Smedley
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tyler Smedley:
Christ also started the Priesthood, all of whom were male, if Christ wanted female priests he would have had them there at the last supper.
So all priests should be Jewish? If Christ wanted Gentiles, wouldn’t he have picked Gentiles initially? What about Phoebe in Paul’s writings?

“In Christ, there is neither male nor female, Jew nor Greek.” :ehh:

Dear iguana27,

One’s religion or nationality doesn’t add or subtract from one’s male-ness or female-ness.

There certainly are, today as always, male and female Christians. Aren’t there?

I am totally against women priest :nope:, Jesus himself gathered men to follow after him… and as well for the Holy Thursday, The Last Supper… it was them he was talking to a table.

Lets pray this is the case. I still miss the latin mass, kneeling at the alter rail for communion, etc. I fear that the ordination of women would be the downfall of our faith.
maggiec

40.png
maggiec:
… I fear that the ordination of women would be the downfall of our faith.
maggiec
Not to worry. It simply won’t happen. No point spilling words over it.
JimG

Br. Dan:
Dear iguana27,

One’s religion or nationality doesn’t add or subtract from one’s male-ness or female-ness.

There certainly are, today as always, male and female Christians. Aren’t there?
Yes, and there were Gentile Christians at the time of the Last Supper, but Christ did not pick them to be apostles. I am not saying you are wrong on the women’s ordination issue, I just find the argument that “Jesus picked all men, so that settles it” logically flawed.

Here’s my thoughts on the issue. In order to have a vocation to the priesthood, you must have a calling. This calling comes from God, and God alone. If God wanted to call women to the priesthood, first he would work through the Church to change the rule, then he would call women to the priesthood. My conclusion is that no women are currently called to the priesthood. If no women are called to the priesthood, then we should’t be talking about this issue. Therefore this thread should stop after this post.

40.png
tmitchell2:
Nice post by Cephas! Women hold a dignity all their own and it is no slight whatsoever that their role in God’s Kingdom does not include the Priesthood.
Very well said!:yup:

I just want to throw out a few more ideas for consideration i the discussion…
  1. The length of the Tradition - “Jesus only ordained men” countered with “well, Jesus only ordained Jewish men”… The tradition of the all male priesthood went back throughout the entire OT.
  2. We all were baptized into the priesthood of believers, but not everyone is ordained.
  3. As I understand it, our Sacramental system includes the concept of valid matter - we do not baptize using Coke or Pepsi; The Priest does not concecrate beer & pretzels, we do not marry 2 men or 2 women, we do not confirm with peanutbutter and we do not ordain females.

1. As I understand it, our Sacramental system includes the concept of valid matter - we do not baptize using Coke or Pepsi; The Priest does not concecrate beer & pretzels, we do not marry 2 men or 2 women, we do not confirm with peanutbutter and we do not ordain females.
    So what food product are women? Are you saying that by virtue of our matter, we are inappropriate for the sacrament, being somehow less sacred, in the same way that peanut butter is less sacred than chrism?
Please clarify, because I am sure that I am misunderstanding you.

40.png
iguana27:
Are you saying that by virtue of our matter, we are inappropriate for the sacrament,
I’m not, I believe God is.
40.png
iguana27:
being somehow less sacred,
Looking back I never said less sacred - I said valid. I should have more correctly said proper. Women are improper matter for ordination.
40.png
iguana27:
in the same way that peanut butter is less sacred than chrism?
Again, improper. Chrism is proper because that is what was used for anointing.

Hope that helps.

Tyler Smedley:
Good Call I totally agree but what do you think about these groups who advocate for womens ordination, how do we change their minds?
I think very little of these groups, Pope John Paul 2 has spoken very firmly about this , these groups border on being plain silly they should get it in gear and support JP2

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m having a hard enough time trying to follow in Mary’s footsteps - as a mother, a friend, a daughter, a member of the community.
She left some rather big footsteps to fill and the more I try to stay on track the more valuable her life with regard to the Church becomes obvious. I can’t even begin to consider preparing to live the life of a priest!

We can’t all be priests/cardinals/bishops…there are other jobs left to be filled which are vital to the continuation of the Church. Mary was chosen to be the host of God Himself - imagine! That of all the ways God could have made His appearance to mankind he chose to be born of a woman. Once Jesus began his mission he had ample opportunity to place Mary in a role equal to the apostle’s but he didn’t, and I believe it was because the role she fills is greater than that of the apostles. She was crowned Queen of Heaven for a reason. It certainly seems a higher honor than priest or pope, even, imo.

I am truly honored to be called to follow her lead as I embrace her son and that of His call to faith and would not wish for more.

Men are priests because men are stronger and faster than women. The world will always be run by men because that’s the way God willed it to be. Eve shouldn’t have tasted the forbidden fruit. Jesus was a man, not a woman.

Women should be content with being a nun. Mary wasn’t a priest and look at her now.

Things to think about…
  1. Jesus (God Incarnate) kept many of the older
    traditions…and created many new traditions.
    One of the older traditions that he kept
    was the ordination of men. If Jesus wanted
    women in the priesthood…he would have
    ordained women. There were
    no women Bishops. Women have a different role
    within the Church. The highest place of honour
    in the Church belongs to a woman…Our Lady -
    the Mother of the Church. One fallacious argument
    made in the past is that Jesus didn’t want
    to violate the social conventions of the time.
    Does anyone actually believe any individual
    of this period would find it harder to accept
    female ministry…than would be accepting that
    Jesus was the Son of God? Absolutely, not.
    He ate with tax collectors and prostitutes.
    He also ate on the Sabbath. He publicly
    disagreed with the Pharisees. If you’re
    going to challenge this tradition…you will
    have to challenge numerous other Church
    traditions.
  2. Apostolic Fathers, etc.:
“When a widow is to be appointed, she is
not to be ordained, but is designated by being
named [a widow]. . . . A widow is appointed by
words alone, and is then associated with the
other widows. Hands are not imposed on her,
because she does not offer the oblation and
she does not conduct the liturgy. Ordination is
for the clergy because of the liturgy; but a widow
is appointed for prayer, and prayer is the duty of
all” (Hippolytus - The Apostolic Tradition 11 [A.D. 215]).

“The so called ‘presbyteresses’ or ‘presidentesses’
are not to be ordained.” (Council of Laodicea 360 AD)

“For it is not to teach that you women . . . are appointed. . . . For he, God the Lord, Jesus Christ our Teacher, sent us, the twelve [apostles], out to teach the [chosen] people and the pagans. But there were female disciples among us: Mary of Magdala, Mary the daughter of Jacob, and the other Mary; he did not, however, send them out with us to teach the people. For, if it had been necessary that women should teach, then our Teacher would have directed them to instruct along with us” (The Didascalia, Didascalia 3:6:1–2 [A.D. 225]).
  1. In 1994 Pope John Paul II in Ordinatio Sacerdotalis
    restated that this teaching is not just a matter
    of discipline, neither is it a matter open to debate,
    when he stated “I declare that the Church has no authority
    whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and
    that this judgment is to be definitively held by all
    the Church’s faithful.”
  2. "The Congregation for Doctrine of the Faith released
    a statement ~ November 1996 saying the Church’s
    traditional ban on women priest “requires definitive assent…
    (and) has been set forth infallibly by the ordinary and
    universal Magisterium.”
The letter, signed by Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger,
Prefect of the Congregation, was accompanied by a
cover letter insisting that bishops “will do everything
possible to ensure its distribution and favourable
reception, taking particular care that, above all on
the part of theologians, pastors of souls, and religious,
ambiguous and contrary positions will not again be proposed.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back