Worst Movies for Catholics

  • Thread starter Thread starter childofmary1143
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah, and the, “Left Behind,” series.
Finally someone mentioned it!

Oh yeah, here’s my list…

The Da Vinci Code
Stigmata
All Pornography
The “Jesus” miniseries that was on a couple of years ago where Jesus was portrayed as being in love with Mary Magdalene
The Craft
and I’m sure there are lots of others that I can’t think of right this minute!
 
I haven’t seen it but my fiancee has.
Nacho Libre

She went and saw it with her sister, they both left the theater completely disgusted. Fiancee left because she was insulted by the portraying of Catholics, her sister (a non-practicing mormon) left because it was just plain horrible.
 
I haven’t seen it but my fiancee has.
Nacho Libre

She went and saw it with her sister, they both left the theater completely disgusted. Fiancee left because she was insulted by the portraying of Catholics, her sister (a non-practicing mormon) left because it was just plain horrible.
I don’t know, maybe if you don’t like the way Catholics are portrayed, maybe you shouldn’t be so weird?

Examples:
  • Legitimately believing that your God is in wafer and grape juice form, available every Sunday, where you practice cannibalism;
  • Worshiping a zombie, who supposedly came back from the dead;
  • Holding the belief that every time a man masturbates, he is killing thousands, if not millions of potential children;
  • Placing a man under house arrest for the crime of pointing out that Catholics didn’t know a thing about cosmology, then claiming it was a ‘mistake’ 500 years later.
There’s other examples, but those are some of the more gratuitous.
 
The irony of it all is I think the idea of the Church having a “monster hunting” division is actually an interesting idea for sci-fi/horror stories, but they never seem to be able to show priests or even faithful Catholics in a favorable light.
I thought Van Helsing did a good job of portraying this idea in light that would be favorable to Catholics.
 
The Visitation

This is my opinion based on seeing this movie once about a year ago. Since I can’t remember every detail there may be some information missing but hopefully I get the point across. So here goes:

This movie portrays a stranger that comes to town that claims he is Christ or some kind of prophet that heals the sick and other problems people have. This man becomes the town ‘hero’ & people thank God for sending him. The problem is that these so-called healings don’t last and they need another healing. (Sounds like some temporary high or something like it) Of course this ‘prophet’ wants something in return for this ‘healing’ such as their lives, money, etc. It becomes obviously clear that this man is evil. The ‘healed’ people are actually under the influence of some kind of evil or demonic presence.

Now the Catholic priests are not portrayed in a good way. They are pretty much indifferent when it comes to people (this was shown rather early in the movie). When it came to ‘exorcising’ these evil things from the ‘healed’ people the priests failed miserably.

So who comes to the rescue? Why a former Protestant minister (I can’t remember which denomination, which doesn’t matter much anyway). He kind of fell away from the faith for some reason or another but was the only one to get rid of these ‘demons’, not a Catholic priest.

The priests look like a bunch of bumbling buffoons instead of the godly men they should be. However the Protestant ex-minister is the only intelligent one there that knows how to handle the situation. If the movie ended with this guy converting to the Catholic faith and entering the seminary to become a priest then I would recommend the movie but of course it does not end that way so it gets a thumbs down from me.

JMJ
 
Finally someone mentioned it!

Oh yeah, here’s my list…

The Da Vinci Code
Stigmata
All Pornography
The “Jesus” miniseries that was on a couple of years ago where Jesus was portrayed as being in love with Mary Magdalene
The Craft
and I’m sure there are lots of others that I can’t think of right this minute!
Is the Jesus miniseries you’re referring to the one with Jeremy Sisto in the title role? When I watched it I never had the impression that He is in love with Mary Magdalene (but there is a scene in the beginning that implies that He had a relationship with Mary of Bethany; namely, the one in which He breaks up with her to go on His mission). :confused:
 
One of my students told me the new ‘Golden Compass’ movie coming out is part of a series or trilogy in which God dies or is killed. She was very upset and so am I. If this is true, it makes me wonder about Nicole Kidman taking a role in it since she says she is just a Catholic girl at heart.

What does everyone here know about this upcoming movie?
 
I know a lady (protestant) who won’t let her kids watch any kid movies at all(even the classic old ones). Her kids aren’t allowed to have toys either. All in the name of religion…

Looks like she’s not the only weirdo out there.

There are some awful movies out there, definitely. But some of these mentioned as being so awful just makes me laugh.

Epic Movie and most any comedy these days are bad.

I also hate movies that are full of curse words and sex.

I’m just glad that my faith in God is strong enough that I don’t have to ban the good classics I grew up with from my watching.
People are expressing opinion on this particular thread. I disagree with some of the comments but I understand that people vary on these issues.

I don’t think that anyone has called for banning or even boycotting these movies.

By the way, I knew a woman who was shocked, simply shocked that I let my son play with the mad max series of toys. Because Christians don’t let their children play with gross toys.:rolleyes: Some people enjoy being shocked.
 
One of my students told me the new ‘Golden Compass’ movie coming out is part of a series or trilogy in which God dies or is killed. She was very upset and so am I. If this is true, it makes me wonder about Nicole Kidman taking a role in it since she says she is just a Catholic girl at heart.

What does everyone here know about this upcoming movie?
there are two threads on this. 🙂
 
Worst movies for Catholics? Sadly, there are too many to
name! But if you want a good movie for Catholics, then go
and see Bella!
 
Aside from the obvious: porn, heresy, Disney:D , I am reminded of the old bishops’ ratings in which they stated how the movie was morally objectionable for children, for young adults, or for all. I propose a few more:

1.Morally objectionable for those who can’t discern fact from fiction. (Da Vinci code for example)

2.Morally objectionable for those who forget their catechism, or, to begin with, never learned it, and can’t discern truth enough to see how the characters and plot measure up to it.

3.Morally objectionable to those that “try on” every lifestyle that looks slightly glamorous in movies, forgetting the entire point (“I want a nice job like Schindler-he got to wear some cool outfits, date beautiful women, and drink good wine.”)

4.Morally objectionable for those whose politics are etched in black & white or stupidity (Example: my Catholic-turned-Buddhist cousin while watching “The Field” said, “I don’t get it; aren’t the priests bad guys in Ireland?”

5.Morally objectionable for those whose attention deficits prevent them from watching and understanding films (yeah, I have my moments too. :sleep: )

6.Morally objectionable for those who think every plot and every character must be overtly Catholic and therefore moral. (See #1)

7.Morally objectionable for those who don’t want to contribute one cent towards that idiotic: director, producer, writer, actor who represents that idiotic : 1.) movement that wants to reduce sex to an itch that needs to be scratched, 2.) cult pretending to be a scientific church (Tom Cruise, John Travolta & co.); 3.) cultist who channels up 30,000 year old entities named Ramtha and pretends to be expert in practical applications of quantum physics (please watch the credits on What the Bleep next time).4.) Churches that reduce the Bible to some kind of nice American claptrap prophecy stuff. 5.) Drug and alcohol addicts who need 12-steps, not 12 million to produce a film.

Some films are just obviously poorly-made films for Catholics and other thinking peoples. Some are more insidious with plots that hide meta-messages. Some are just poorly written.
Perhaps I should stop writing on this thread and take a chance on finishing my screenplays. Are there any angel investors out there?:bowdown:
 
There are a large number of movies that I’ve never seen, and never will see-mostly because I believe that they are a waste of time. Most Ben Stiller movies (although I enjoyed Night at the Museum), all those American Pie type films, the Jackie Chan stuff…I’ll save my 2 hours for other things.

Having said that-I’m not of the opinion that a movie, or a TV show or even a book can destroy my faith if I don’t allow it. I’ve had some wonderful conversations with my Goddaughter about books, movies and TV shows that many here would object to-but because she’s seen them, we’ve had a chance to discuss Church teaching and why it differs.

Bottom line to me is-if you are concerned about a book, a movie or a TV show-read a review first from a publication you trust and then make your decision. Don’t believe the email you got from cousin Ethel-get information from someone who has actually read the book, seen the movie or watched the show.
 
Have any of you actually seen The Last Temptation of Christ? I haven’t seen it, but from what I’ve read about it, it sounds like it could be very interesting and compelling. From what I understand, it starts with Jesus being crucified and before he dies on the cross, He imagines what His life would have or could have been like had he not had to die for man’s sin. This seems like it could make the viewer appreciate Christ’s sacrifice for us even more.
 
Have any of you actually seen The Last Temptation of Christ? I haven’t seen it, but from what I’ve read about it, it sounds like it could be very interesting and compelling. From what I understand, it starts with Jesus being crucified and before he dies on the cross, He imagines what His life would have or could have been like had he not had to die for man’s sin. This seems like it could make the viewer appreciate Christ’s sacrifice for us even more.
I’ve read the script available on the Internet and saw parts of it.

It doesn’t start at the Crucifixion but well before Jesus’ ministry, actually. IMHO, the Jesus of TLT is rather whiny and angsty in some parts of the movie that I almost think he needs a psychiatrist.
 
Guess I’m goin’ to hell for liking movies like Cinderella and Harry Potter. Whats up with people on this board? I’m taking lessons to become Catholic from my Priest. I love the catholic faith, but most people on this board sound more protostant.
Interesting, sometimes when I come here I feel like I’m on PuritanAnswers.com
😉

Anyone mention Kingdom of Heaven?
Despite the historical inaccuracies it has good cinematography, special effects and technical aspects, but it is bad for Catholics…not Euro Trip bad, but bad in that it perpetuates the typical stereotypes about the Crusades and Catholics. Pretty much everyone that is affiliated with the Church from the priest in the beginning of the movie to the bishop in Jerusalem are villians or sniveling cowards. The adultery by the main character doesn’t help.

Oh and Orlando Blooms in it, I guess Kianu Reeves wasn’t avaliable for the role…too bad, it would have been cool to see Balian say “Woaaah” at the sight of Jarusalem’s city walls or an incoming muslim army.
😃
 
My worst list is:

Black Book 2006: this is a Dutch movie about a Jew trying to survive the Natzi’s. In one scene you have the main Jewish character annoyed with the head of the family who is Christian that wants her to memorize Bible verses to say together with the family at grace before their meal. She is given oatmeal to eat and with her spoon takes some syrup and makes a cross with the syrup over her oatmeal which she then stirs with her spoon all together in an aggressive manner in an act of defiance. The rest of the movie has gratuitous nude scenes… some of it frontal in the sex scenes.

The Body 2001: this movie is with Antonio Banderas. He plays a priest sent to investigate whether or not the body found in a tomb is indeed the body of Jesus Christ. Here you have the typical Hollywood Priest falls for woman romance thing and shows other Catholic religious as crazy fanatics.

Flesh & Blood 1985: STAY AWAY FROM THIS FILM…This movie has Rutger Hauer in it and is set in the year 1501. It makes priests out to be lunatics, makes a mockery of the Eucharist, has gratuitous nudity, sex scenes…etc. JUST BAD BAD BAD.

Peace
 
Unfortunately, I have to list
THE HOTEL NEW HAMPSHIRE (released in 1984)
as one of the worst movies for any Catholic or Christian of any background, to see.

And it’s a shame because it could have been
a good off-beat comic/tragedy, had it not been
for the FAVORABLE treatment of the incestuous
sex between brother and sister (played by Rob Lowe
and Jodie Foster respectively). That was abhorrent.

The musical score was from the works of Jacques Offenbach,
which was nice.

Jaypeeto4
+JMJ+
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top