Worst Movies for Catholics

  • Thread starter Thread starter childofmary1143
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
TIt shows good triumphing over evil, but it teaches kids that “they know better” than authority figures, and makes heroism out of their disobedience.
That 's the same concern I have with many kid’s cartoons these days: -parents, teachers and other adults are portrayed
as silly at best
-‘jokes’ are usually insults
-kids are the only ones with sense
-the graphics are such that kids raised on a steady diet
of that stuff could probably never appreciate real art
-the characters are everywhere (even at school) so that
child thinks you’re the weird one for not letting him
watch those programs

Sorry for straying from the topic, but I really feel the greatest danger is not from movies that our kids cannot get to watch without or say so, but from the ubiquitous cartoon characters of shows that should never have seen the light of day…
 
Oh, I had to smile at the post for Gone With The Wind. I saw that years ago and hated it. I thought it was one of the worst movies for that very reason mentioned. The characters were horrible! I couldn’t imagine what people liked about them or why it was even popular! I think the only thing good that came of that film was when Carol Bernadett did that comedy about Scarlett’s dress (the show where Carol B. dressed up in a green curtain, rod and all). That was hilarious! I don’t remember the rest of the show but I always remembered that green curtain with pole attached. LOL!
 
The Da Vinci Code is obviously bad, same with the Last Temptation of Christ (both films I did not see either but read the reviews about them).

I also think any vampire related or occult related films are wrong. I usually go with the US Catholic Bishop reviews. If they get “O” for morally offensive, I definately avoid it.

I also think children’s films these days have much to be desired. They often have humor meant for adults in them, as if the children don’t pick up at all. I think the rude and often sexually themed jokes do fly over children’s heads but everything does affect a child and they are getting that message subconsciously.

One of the WORST films for children was Shrek. When I saw this I was horrified. The godmother character does a whole song on LUST and repeats this over and over again. I was in shock when I saw that. That was totally inappropriate for children and the film industry actually got away with it, and in fact they were applauded for that film as though it was the best film for children! How sick is that!
 
I recently read The Three Musketeers. I enjoyed the book so much I went out and rented the Disney version.

Not only was the movie completely different from the book in every way, I don’t know how they were allowed to call it The Three Musketeers, It was Anti-Catholic.

The movie started with the Cardinal having a poor beggar who stole to feed his family killed and then blurted out with a laugh “One less mouth to feed”. That never happened in the book. That was the first minute.

This movie stunk.
 
I recently read The Three Musketeers. I enjoyed the book so much I went out and rented the Disney version.

Not only was the movie completely different from the book in every way, I don’t know how they were allowed to call it The Three Musketeers, It was Anti-Catholic.

The movie started with the Cardinal having a poor beggar who stole to feed his family killed and then blurted out with a laugh “One less mouth to feed”. That never happened in the book. That was the first minute.

This movie stunk.
Cardinal Richileu of France was not a particularly nice person–he was far more interested in the benefit of France than he was in the benefit of Christian souls. He financed the incredbly bloody 30 Years War because a united Hapsburg dynasty was a disaster to France–and to keep that war going and going, he backed Protestant armies (at times, Catholic armies at others) While strengthening the French State, Richileu helped bring into disrepute the Church–helping pave the way for the “Enlightenment”, the Revolution, and Napoleon. Also, his so called “tolerance” of protestantism helped introduce the heresy of Jasenism into French seminaries (a French version of Calvinism) which in turn influenced expatriate Irish seminarians with that distortion of the faith
 
Cardinal Richileu of France was not a particularly nice person–…
Now there’s an understatement. No one during the Cardinal’s life did more to hurt Catholicism outside of France that the Cardinal did, and his record within France isn’t much better.

– Mark L. Chance.
 
Guess I’m goin’ to hell for liking movies like Cinderella and Harry Potter. Whats up with people on this board? I’m taking lessons to become Catholic from my Priest. I love the catholic faith, but most people on this board sound more protostant.
I’m Catholic and loved Cinderella as a kid (still do!) I remember when I was about 6 or so and my Catholic friend and I were playing Cinderella. I was Cinderella and made my friend be the Prince. 😃 We were “dancing at the ball,” in her basement until we crashed into each other. Her mom had to rush me home with one of the worst bloody noses I’ve ever had. :yup:
As for Harry Potter, I don’t care for the story very much but it has nothing to do with it being ‘evil’ as some people believe.
Most Catholics I know have no problem with these movies/books.
 
Cardinal Richileu of France was not a particularly nice person–he was far more interested in the benefit of France than he was in the benefit of Christian souls. He financed the incredbly bloody 30 Years War because a united Hapsburg dynasty was a disaster to France–and to keep that war going and going, he backed Protestant armies (at times, Catholic armies at others) While strengthening the French State, Richileu helped bring into disrepute the Church–helping pave the way for the “Enlightenment”, the Revolution, and Napoleon. Also, his so called “tolerance” of protestantism helped introduce the heresy of Jasenism into French seminaries (a French version of Calvinism) which in turn influenced expatriate Irish seminarians with that distortion of the faith
Your critisism of the Cardinal is all well and good. I have no problem saying that the Cardinal was not a good person in the book BUT, in the book almost all of the characters are clearly catholic. In the Disney movie the only charachter that is catholic is the vicious cardinal. Also, the basic story is so distorted and redone that it in no way resembles the story in the book.
 
Your critisism of the Cardinal is all well and good. I have no problem saying that the Cardinal was not a good person in the book BUT, in the book almost all of the characters are clearly catholic. In the Disney movie the only charachter that is catholic is the vicious cardinal. Also, the basic story is so distorted and redone that it in no way resembles the story in the book.
I see what you mean - for example, one of the good guys, the Musketeers, is formerly or currently a priest and, if I remember rightly (from the not-dreadful movie with Charlie Sheen, Kiefer Sutherland et al) has some moral and ethical dilemmas in the doing of his job. I bet the Disney movie never showed any of that.
 
Surprised that the Boondock Saints hasn’t been mentioned yet.

I think my biggest problem is that I actually liked the movie, even though what it portrays flies in the face of my Catholic sensibilities. I just recently watched it again and was surprised what I found, besides the obvious, subjective “killing evil people for the greater good” ethical dilemma.
  • The wishy-washy pseudo-Catholic-liturgy in the beginning of the movie, saying the greatest tragedy is when good men do nothing in the face of evil. The brothers leave, saying “I do think Msgr. has finally gotten the point”, and sets up the rationale for the movie.
  • Praying, even going to confession before you blow someone’s brains out.
  • Cruelty to cats.
  • The wimpy, feel-good counsel given to the non-religious police investigator in the confessional.
  • The ubiquitous use of foul language until it’s no longer shocking - just natural and expected (and can even be conjugated gramatically).
 
Your critisism of the Cardinal is all well and good. I have no problem saying that the Cardinal was not a good person in the book BUT, in the book almost all of the characters are clearly catholic. In the Disney movie the only charachter that is catholic is the vicious cardinal. Also, the basic story is so distorted and redone that it in no way resembles the story in the book.
Then I recomend you forget the Disney tripe and rent the far-superior 1970’s Richard Leister directed The Three Musketeers & The Four Musketeers

Michael York as D’artangnan

Oliver Reed as Portos

Richard Chamberlin as Amaris

Christopher Lee as Rochfort

Raquel Welch as Constance

Faye Dunnaway as Milady

AND

Charleton Heston as Cardinal Richilieu

(and William Hobbes did the fight coreography, and Flashman author George MacDonald Frasier wrote the screenplay!)
 
BTW, regarding Titanic as anti-catholic

Anyone else beside me who cried when the ship began the descent of the scene of the Catholic Priest reciting from Revelations as he despartly tried to hold on to two other men with one hand and a stanchion with the other?
 
I know a lady (protestant) who won’t let her kids watch any kid movies at all(even the classic old ones). Her kids aren’t allowed to have toys either. All in the name of religion…

Looks like she’s not the only weirdo out there.

There are some awful movies out there, definitely. But some of these mentioned as being so awful just makes me laugh.

Epic Movie and most any comedy these days are bad.

I also hate movies that are full of curse words and sex.

I’m just glad that my faith in God is strong enough that I don’t have to ban the good classics I grew up with from my watching.
 
To get back to the original topic, we were asked to give examples of the worst movies for Catholics to see. I believe that The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe to be among them for the reasons I have already given. To debate those reasons is the subject of another thread.

My point remains that, as this is a movie that is aimed at children, the potential for serious error cannot be overlooked. That we are engaging in a protracted debate here about the meaning of the Incarnation and splitting hairs over the true meaning of “allegory” or whatnot tends to bear out that there exists the potential for a child to derive grave error from a movie such as this and should therefore not see it.

Movies that could lead children away from the Truths of the Church are fittingly described as the worst movies for Catholics.
If there is a message I get from you it is that just because a movie claims to have a Christian theme does not make it accpetable for Catholics to watch.

But I have seen the latest Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe and I think that it has given a positive message to people who were aware of the Christian message in it.
 
The 40 Year Old Virgin was actually a good movie. I didn’t want to watch it at first but, I did out of curiousity. I recall seeing boobs. Those are pretty easy not to look at, actually.

There’s other movies on this list so far that ARE worth watching.

P.S. NOTHING with Mila Jovovich is EVER good…EVER.

Anyway, off the top of my head what movies?:

Cider House Rules
all porn
 
Stigmata: Not only was this movie filled with flat out lies and distortions about the Church, but this movie was filmed as, and marketed as, a horror/thriller, and thus marketed directly to the “late teen” demographic. What a wonderful time to teach them that the church is untrustworthy and corrupt.

The Order: As above, the Church is corrupt and hiding things, but this time, there is an order devoted to destroying supernatural things (actually, this part of the story I don’t mind, but of course it can’t be this simple). In the end, there is an “alternate” way to salvation that the Church has hidden for years, oh, and its so unfair that a Catholic priest has to give up his sex life that its okay for him to break his vows.

And again, it was a horror/thriller, so squarely marketed at teens.

There are others, like John Carptenter’s Vampires, where the (wait for it) secret order of Catholic vampire hunters throws parties with prostitutes to celebrate their victories of a den of Vampires, and the priest assigned to them isn’t really accepted until he starts swearing and cursing.

The irony of it all is I think the idea of the Church having a “monster hunting” division is actually an interesting idea for sci-fi/horror stories, but they never seem to be able to show priests or even faithful Catholics in a favorable light.
 
P.S. NOTHING with Mila Jovovich is EVER good…EVER.

response: yep, The Fifth Element was forgettable, but The Messenger was a vile slander on St Joan

Anyway, off the top of my head what movies?:

Cider House Rules

**response: That came on broadcast TV this saturday in Phoenix metro–I watched maybe 12 minutes and walked away from the pro-abortion [expletive, self deleted] My wife a bit more tolerant watched 5 more minutes before she gave up on it–Pity, I really like Michael Caine, but for that piece of :banghead: **
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top