Worst Movies for Catholics

  • Thread starter Thread starter childofmary1143
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much any teenage movie made in the past ten years, I’d say.
American Pie
American Pie 2
American Pie 3

The above three were all hilarious, but rather inappropriate.

American Pie 4-Whatever number they are on now

Stupid and extremley inappropriate
 
Is it me or did “Monty Python’s Life of Brian” fly under the radar?
 
I’m not sure if these are Worst Movies for Catholics, but I found them both very disturbing:

The Believers (with Martin Sheen)
The Talented Mr. Ripley (with Matt Damon, Jude Law and Gwyneth Paltrow) THIS ONE I WISH I HAD NEVER SEEN. I couldn’t get it out of my head for a very long time.
 
As gorgeous artistically as Gone With the Wind is - Scarlett and Rhett both tend to be incredibly self-centred and pretty vile and despicable characters all round - Rhett only slightly less so. While the good characters (Ashley and Melanie) are presented as really sappy and wishy-washy.
I don’t find anything offensive in the least in Gone With the Wind. It’s (in my opinion) the best movie ever made, as well as one of the best books.
And, having just read the book, you actually have the good charactors/bad charactors all wrong. After reading the book, I found the selfish (bad if you will, though i wouldn’t truely call them that) charactors to be Scarlett and Ashley, and the good charactors to be Rhett and Menanie. Yes Rhett was a scoundrel and all that, but he loved Scarlett, and her children, and believe me, he had to be a good guy to put up with Scarlett. While Ashley was a whimp and sappy.
Menanie was portrayed in the movie and book as a truely great women. Yesshe’s very gently and soft spoken, but was very strong and good.
And I find it a good morality tale with Scarlett. She does regret her behavior at the end, and finds that all her pining for Ahsley was just her pining for something she was denighed, and in a sense, pining for the old days before the war.
 
I agree with the previous poster who brought up The Exorcist again. I actually think that movie is a great film that all adult Catholics who can stomach it should see. As a life-long atheist who is coming into the church this Easter Vigil, that film, along with many other things, always made me think highly of and respect the Catholic Church. It is also one thing among many that helped me take religious claims and religion generally seriously. OK, enough. Great movie. I recommend it.

For stuff to stay away from, anything on TV, except EWTN.

Jon
 
Re Gone with the Wind

I don’t think it’s bad for Catholics.

I watched recently, I thought an interesting point was Scarlet wanted no more children because it would ruin her figure. Melanie was told to not have more children because of her health, yet she wanted them and still tried.

Rhett really loved Scarlett. He was so happy with the baby, and wanted more. She rejected him. So Scarlett is the self centered one.

Rhett really tried hard with Scarlett…she didn’t try at all.

Ashley needed one time to tell Scarlett he had no intention of leaving Melanie. But he kept being wimpy and never stood up for his wife, until she died.

So I agree, Melanie and Rhett were much better characters than Scarlett and Ashley.
 
Re Gone with the Wind

I don’t think it’s bad for Catholics.

I watched recently, I thought an interesting point was Scarlet wanted no more children because it would ruin her figure. Melanie was told to not have more children because of her health, yet she wanted them and still tried.

Rhett really loved Scarlett. He was so happy with the baby, and wanted more. She rejected him. So Scarlett is the self centered one.

Rhett really tried hard with Scarlett…she didn’t try at all.

Ashley needed one time to tell Scarlett he had no intention of leaving Melanie. But he kept being wimpy and never stood up for his wife, until she died.

So I agree, Melanie and Rhett were much better characters than Scarlett and Ashley.
You know what was interesting though, Scarlett was much worse in the movie than in the book. In the book she actually did want Rhetts second childand was really sad when she miscarried.
And also in the book, she did all along have feeling for Rhett, but never really realized that she truely loved him until the end.
 
You know what was interesting though, Scarlett was much worse in the movie than in the book. In the book she actually did want Rhetts second childand was really sad when she miscarried.
And also in the book, she did all along have feeling for Rhett, but never really realized that she truly loved him until the end.
In the movie, the miscarriage is a small part, she starts to realize then that she loves Rhett, But then Bonnie dies, and they blame each other.

When Melanie dies, and Scarlett hears Ashley speak about his love for Melanie, she realizes that she loves Rhett.

Soooo I’m now in the mood to watch again and read the book. 😉
 
Stigmata (blatant attempt to resurrect gnosticism and confuse the audience into thinking the Church covered up the truth about Jesus)
DaVinci Code
Sin City
Primal Fear
Priest
Last Temptation of Christ
Godfather series (I love these films, but Catholics are depicted as hypocritical throughout)
 
I think you’re taking yourself a little too seriously if you’re taking Cinderella away from your children because it’s bad for Catholics.

Lighten up. :rolleyes:
 
I think you’re taking yourself a little too seriously if you’re taking Cinderella away from your children because it’s bad for Catholics.

Lighten up. :rolleyes:
Yea, but Calligula is different than Cinderella, though. I think people just need to be careful about what they and their kids watch. Some stuff is just blatantly discordant.
 
Godfather series (I love these films, but Catholics are depicted as hypocritical throughout)
Actually in the first one, just the Corleones are. But they neglected to mention that being in the Sicilian or Napolitan Mafias (mafiae?) is automatic excommunication.

That’s why I like my gangsters Japanese. Aside from the fact they’re cooler, they’re not breaking Pure Land Buddhism’s rules.

Anyone pick The Craft? That’s a pretty, unintentionally, funny movie (especially considering how they get every scrap of magic wrong), but it’s fairly loathsome–and anti-Christian. But perhaps, as Mike Nelson put it, “Maybe I shouldn’t dissect any philosophy uttered by someone named Fairuza.”

And then there’s any movie based on Anne Rice’s (softcore porn) Vampire novels. Again, all the vampires are wrong (and I’ve got the folklore books to prove it), and more importantly…they’re just utterly loathsome. They’re not that anti-Catholic, although they are rather anti-“Catholicism is more than feeding the homeless, there is this thing called sin and this other thing called salvation, and some guy called Christ who’s not unimportant” Catholic, and they’re just smutty and laughable and made me think Brad Pitt was a lousy actor for years (he’s a great actor–he’s a lousy human being).
 
One True Thing
This one is about a self-important father (William Hurt) and daughter (Renee Zellweger) who have nothing but contempt for Mom (Meryl Streep). They both consider her silly and trivial but, over the course of the film, come to appreciate the strong and wonderful woman she is, especially as seen through the eyes of others. Ultimately, Streep’s character’s suicide (she is dying of cancer) is seen as heroic by her family. Such a beautiful movie ruined in the last few minutes.

Quills
I don’t want to talk about it. Rent something else. I’ll pay.

American Beauty
Interesting movie in some ways, but also creepy and depressing. Uptight Catholics (like me) might notice the only people in the movie who aren’t totally messed up are the homosexual couple.

I’m having a hard time figuring out what is so offensive about Sideways. It’s been a couple years since I saw it but I do remember the slimy guy gets what’s coming to him and the nice guy gets the girl (we hope). Did I miss something awful?
 
Actually in the first one, just the Corleones are. But they neglected to mention that being in the Sicilian or Napolitan Mafias (mafiae?) is automatic excommunication.

That’s why I like my gangsters Japanese. Aside from the fact they’re cooler, they’re not breaking Pure Land Buddhism’s rules.

Anyone pick The Craft? That’s a pretty, unintentionally, funny movie (especially considering how they get every scrap of magic wrong), but it’s fairly loathsome–and anti-Christian. But perhaps, as Mike Nelson put it, “Maybe I shouldn’t dissect any philosophy uttered by someone named Fairuza.”

And then there’s any movie based on Anne Rice’s (softcore porn) Vampire novels. Again, all the vampires are wrong (and I’ve got the folklore books to prove it), and more importantly…they’re just utterly loathsome. They’re not that anti-Catholic, although they are rather anti-“Catholicism is more than feeding the homeless, there is this thing called sin and this other thing called salvation, and some guy called Christ who’s not unimportant” Catholic, and they’re just smutty and laughable and made me think Brad Pitt was a lousy actor for years (he’s a great actor–he’s a lousy human being).
As I was reading ‘Interview with a Vampire’ (after seeing the movie, of course) I just spent the whole time thinking ‘how on earth could anyone have ever thought Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise could play Louis and Lestat?’

Not that they’re real bad actors, although I don’t see either of 'em winning an Academy Award any time soon. But badly badly miscast in that film.
 
Guess I’m goin’ to hell for liking movies like Cinderella and Harry Potter. Whats up with people on this board? I’m taking lessons to become Catholic from my Priest. I love the catholic faith, but most people on this board sound more protostant.
sometimes i think the same thing. quite a few act very Protestant indeed.
 
Some movies have me for a while but then they do something that completely loses me:

Last Temptation of Christ - I like the scene when he’s on the cross and they show Satan sending him a vision that he can get down off the cross and live a normal life. I thought it was moving and powerful, and I have no doubt that Satan sent many such visions to Christ as he was dying. But the film shows Jesus trying to figure out who he is (he can’t grasp the “voices” in his head at first), deciding at first to use violence and war to accomplish his goals (before God shows him to use love) and it shows him building crosses for the Romans, for people to be crucified. Sorry, but those are lousy portrayals of the Son of God. They ruined the movie for me.

Dogma - I thought I liked Kevin Smith, but he’s obsessed with being vulgar. He does these college talks (“An Evening with Kevin Smith”), and always mentions how he considers himself a good Catholic, but he doesn’t buy into certain beliefs (i.e. he doesn’t believe in not having sex before marriage). He’s a cafeteria Catholic, plain and simple. And it’s hard to enjoy the film when every other word is “F” this, or sex that…

DaVinci Code - too bad, cuz I like Ron Howard and Tom Hanks. Ian MacKellan has nothing good to say about the Church, which is probably why they gave him the role of the guy who discovers the “greatest coverup” by the Church.
It’s actually kind of sad what Ian McKellan said once in an interview. He said that yes, he considers himself an athiest, but he sometimes feels jealous of christians for their belief and fellowship.
 
The Golden Compass (get ready - it is the first in an entirely unholy trilogy).
 
Did he say that? Hmmm, maybe there’s hope then. Everything I’ve read about him shows him to be very hostile towards the church, probably because he’s gay and he considers the church to be anti-homosexuals.
Hmm, I’m not sure I’d word it that way. Look at Andy Warhol, he was homosexual and a devout Catholic. He went to mass everyday.
And I wouldn’t say the Catholic Church is anti-homosexual. as my Priest told me, we’re against the sexual act, not against the person.
 
Interesting that someone brought up “Monty Python’s Life of Bryan”. I am torn on that one, because it is humorous, and skirts the whole heresy thing by making it the life of Bryan and not the life of Christ. Is this ploy enough to make me take a chill pill and take it easy? I don’t know, but I can’t say it is the worst movie for Catholics.

The “Last Temptation of Christ,” I believe is about as dangerous as one can get for a Christian who actually thinks about things. I mean “Da Vinci Code” is silly, uneducated, flashy and filthy to draw in people. One really has to have no faith in the Catholic Church, and not a very good idea about what Catholicism is about to fall for the trash in Da Vinci or “Angels and Demons” which will most likely become a movie soon enough.

I can recomment Last Temptation to serious apologists, priests, and others who will be able to recognize and realize all the various heretical thoughts at play here which try to slip and make stumble the faithful. It has every form of humanism you can think of. And relativism. Also, it shows the nestorianism that the fathers condemned and feared. It has influences from “search for the historic Jesus.” And to top it all of, even the sympathetic view of Judas that was popularized just recently in the National Geographic. It really makes one think, and I pray one thinks over every part that seems to clash with their image of Christ, and if it can not be determined why exactly is the film bad on that aspect, to approach a priest.

Peace,
Anthony
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top