Would you buy a premium leather Catholic Bible?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dkushner
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m trying to convince some publishers that there is a market for premium leather Catholic Bibles. You may be aware that there are MANY Protestant Bibles available in premium (highland goatskin, French Moroccan leather, etc.) leather, but VERY few premium Catholic Bibles.

When I say premium Bible I’m talking about the types of Bibles you might find discussed here: bibledesignblog.com/

I would personally love a high-end, durable, beautiful Douay-Rheims/Challoner or RSV-CE, but I’m interested to see what the rest of you would be interested in.

I’m thinking the price point would be in the neighborhood of $150.00, which may seem like a lot, but I think there is a market for high-end Catholic Bibles - and there aren’t really any available. The best one I have is an Oxford University Press RSV-CE, which is pretty good quality - but not excellent.

Please answer the survey ONLY if you would consider a high-end Bible, and select your choice of translation(s).

I’m only including the most popular (I think) translations in the poll. If you have another translation in mind please reply with the details in this post.

Regards
David
How about purchasing one of these bad boys. This I what I have myself.

baroniuspress.com/category.php?wid=58&cid=1
 
The Per centages on the poll make no sense. They add up to 155.66%!
How does that work?
 
The Per centages on the poll make no sense. They add up to 155.66%!
How does that work?
I think one can pick more than one translation when voting. (Something I didn’t know till after I voted. D’oh!)
 
Even though I’m not Catholic, I would love to have a full-size reader’s edition NJB in highland goatskin, preferably by R.L. Allen, who does the best Bible bindings I’ve ever seen. 👍
 
I think the best bibles and rosaries are dirty , well-worn and very used.

I dont want dainty bibles or rosaries–gold leaf pages, leather covers or weak pretty chains that dont hold up well to use. In my household these are heavily used items and their construction should reflect it. There are no ‘display bibles’ in my house.

Similarly there is no ‘display rosary’ in my car on the rearview mirror. The rosary is on the gear shifter(not for display) and it gets used while driving–or as an extra if I forget to throw one in my pocket!
You know how hard it is to get a rosary on and off a rearview mirror, consequently its very evident that these ‘rosary displayers’ are not rosary prayer people.

If someone wants leather bound, they can cover their bible with a leather book cover from ebay.

In my house, we dont wear our beloved Catholic medals on dainty silver or gold chains either. They always break in relatively short order! We use leather cord, not elegant or stylish but it accomplishes wearing a medal 24/7 nicely and thats the goal. Miraculous medal, Scapular medal, Benedictine Cross!

…and I used to walk to school in the snow! 😉
 
leather covers or weak pretty chains that dont hold up well to use
Well-made leather covers should stand up to heavy use much better than traditional hardcover or paperbacks.
 
As someone who prays the rosary daily and has one in his rear view mirror as well, and as someone who owns many fine leather bound bibles and reads scripture 3 times a day, I find your post extremely narrow minded and offensive. Suggesting your family is somehow more genuine in there faith than those who have nice bibles or rosaries, really suggests the opposite to me. Wow…
I think the best bibles and rosaries are dirty , well-worn and very used.

I dont want dainty bibles or rosaries–gold leaf pages, leather covers or weak pretty chains that dont hold up well to use. In my household these are heavily used items and their construction should reflect it. There are no ‘display bibles’ in my house.

Similarly there is no ‘display rosary’ in my car on the rearview mirror. The rosary is on the gear shifter(not for display) and it gets used while driving–or as an extra if I forget to throw one in my pocket!
You know how hard it is to get a rosary on and off a rearview mirror, consequently its very evident that these ‘rosary displayers’ are not rosary prayer people.

If someone wants leather bound, they can cover their bible with a leather book cover from ebay.

In my house, we dont wear our beloved Catholic medals on dainty silver or gold chains either. They always break in relatively short order! We use leather cord, not elegant or stylish but it accomplishes wearing a medal 24/7 nicely and thats the goal. Miraculous medal, Scapular medal, Benedictine Cross!

…and I used to walk to school in the snow! 😉
 
I can’t say I have quite such a leather fetish myself.
Are these not good enough?
That’s hard for me to judge without seeing and handling them. And of course, any Bible is good enough to read and learn God’s word from. But really good leather, paper and binding makes an esthetically satisfying Bible that’s a joy to handle and to read, and will withstand hard use for many years, after lesser bindings are falling apart.

My own collection includes paperbacks, hardbacks, vinyl, simulated leather, bonded leather, genuine leather, goatskin and French Morocco (a type of split calfskin). But this thread is specifically about premium leather Bibles. IMO, the highland goatskin that R.L. Allen uses is the best Bible leather there is.
 
As someone who prays the rosary daily and has one in his rear view mirror as well, and as someone who owns many fine leather bound bibles and reads scripture 3 times a day, I find your post extremely narrow minded and offensive. Suggesting your family is somehow more genuine in there faith than those who have nice bibles or rosaries, really suggests the opposite to me. Wow…
I’m sorry my ill conceived , quickly wrought observation and post
put you in a bad mood towards me.
However, I figure there were some good observations in my post regardless of the sum total you perceived.
Its about cultural catholics, did you not gather this?
Perhaps that part was assumed and was relegated to between the lines.
I should be slapped around for my communication of ‘between the lines’. Afterall, who do I think I am?
Thank you for your thoughtful kicks and punches emanating
from the way I made you felt crucified. Your just like Jesus
and I love you for what you have done to me.
Yes, I do feel victimized and I do have some feeling towards gathering my family and calling the family lawyer. But your example of Jesus to me, makes me forgive.
Thankyou and Good Cheer.

P.S. this is another quickly wrought disconnected post that doesnt amount
to much more than a rambling screed. If I make you feel crucified consider it penance or call a lawyer. Sometime I just really hate this forum and the dunderheadedness thats a big part of it.
 
Hello,
If I had the money, I would buy one. The translation which I would like the best would be the traditional Douey Rhimes.
 
Nice, but those are just regular leather. Where’s the premium leather editions?
Those used to be Moroccan Leather until their latest printings. I have a copy of the older and newer, but the newer is being sent off for a calfskin binding! It will look similar to the Crossway ESV with Calfskin as I like how those look. If it was a lower profile I would have went with highland goatskin. I may do my Oxford RSV-CE as such, but its kind of nice the way it is with the cowhide leather cover and it cost me $40. So to get a full yapp highland goatskin, I can buy 4 bibles. I want to, but I keep thinking about the economics of it…

Its only fair though. I own two Allans, a KJV longprimer and a ESV PSR, as well as a Cambridge KJV in goatskin. I Have to get a quality Catholic bible or two, considering Im Catholic!
 
Those used to be Moroccan Leather until their latest printings. I have a copy of the older and newer, but the newer is being sent off for a calfskin binding! It will look similar to the Crossway ESV with Calfskin as I like how those look. If it was a lower profile I would have went with highland goatskin. I may do my Oxford RSV-CE as such, but its kind of nice the way it is with the cowhide leather cover and it cost me $40. So to get a full yapp highland goatskin, I can buy 4 bibles. I want to, but I keep thinking about the economics of it…

Its only fair though. I own two Allans, a KJV longprimer and a ESV PSR, as well as a Cambridge KJV in goatskin. I Have to get a quality Catholic bible or two, considering Im Catholic!
Needless to say, there are not a ton of premium leather Catholic Bibles on the market. On my blog, I compiled a list last year of the most available genuine to premium leather editions:
catholicbibles.blogspot.com/2009/03/premium-leather-bible-round-up.html
 
Needless to say, there are not a ton of premium leather Catholic Bibles on the market. On my blog, I compiled a list last year of the most available genuine to premium leather editions:
catholicbibles.blogspot.com/2009/03/premium-leather-bible-round-up.html
Hello. Im familiar with your site! Thank you! I posted on there a little bit ago. My name is Keith and the user name was anonymous.

You know, its a bit funny. I was reading my PSR ESV and then I thought “I like the RSV-CE better” and then I look at a passage. Word for Word. Same thing. I guess I either dont like the font, or I dont like the single column style for Bibles(or a combination of both). I definately prefer it over the CTS bible, though the CTS is not bad. For some reason it doesnt seem as authentic.

The RSV-CE is fast becoming my favorite. It doesnt have any cross references or too many footnotes, but who needs it? I can always get the Navarre bible for that. I Just love the way it reads. A modern literal translation using the Vulgate would be great. I cant wait for the Knox Translation to come out, but I think that is a little more dynamic, and I prefer more literal.

Now to rebind, or not to rebind? That is the question…
 
I know KJV is not Catholic, but this one is soon coming out with Apocrypha, with black Calfskin, thought someone might be interested.

The New Cambridge Paragraph Bible presents the KJV text as intended by the 1611 Translators, using their surviving notes. The text is presented in paragraph form with marginal notes. Modern spelling and punctuation are used for simplicity and ease of use.

This scholarly edition first came out in 2005 in a large format, and like the early King James Bibles, included the Apocrypha. It was published to critical acclaim and is now issued in Personal Size editions, either with or without the Apocrypha, to satisfy different preferences. It comes in hardcover or leather.

New Cambridge Paragraph Bible with Apocrypha Personal Size Black Calfskin KJ595TA
cambridgebibles.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?sid=0477683E4046471488BD7BAC8DCFB004&nm=&type=PubCom&mod=PubComProductCatalog&mid=BF1316AF9E334B7BA1C33CB61CF48A4E&tier=3&id=AAD03F903FA0428B9475239C8FB60D88

$95 preorder at Amazon
 
I love the New Jerusalem Bible, and managed to get it in hardback, but it still looks like a novel 🤷 So I’d love a leatherbound copy.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top