Your current status in Lent?

  • Thread starter Thread starter thephilosopher6
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thephilosopher6

Guest
I’ve messed up badly with what I’ve decided to give up. What about you guys?
 
Last edited:
I’ve been sampling different beers :beers:So it’s going great!
 
I started off on the wrong foot, but a while back I basically started again. I guess hence I didn’t give up and tried again at it, Im doing good right now, also Ive been learning about the Lord much more, and reading more scripture.
 
Drinking a Guinness as I write this, lol.
 
Last edited:
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
Cheers! 🍻
 
I never bothered to give up anything extra for Lent.

Maybe because of that (or maybe not), I am facing unexpected despair, apathy, fear, anxiety, envy, and hatred.

(That Guinness looks reallllllly good right about now…)

I care about beer but not prayer. Yay my failed spiritual life.
 
My God I cannot wait for St. Patrick’s Day! You’re tempting me!!! :crazy_face:
 
Last edited:
I’ve (scrupulously) avoided alcohol during Lent because it seemed un-Lent-like. But there’s no rule against alcohol so it must be OK right?

If beer can help get me out of this darkness of despair and blaming and cursing God for everything going wrong in my life, I’ll gladly drink moderately.
 
It’s never too late to start.
Even one small thing may help quell your fear, or give you hope.
 
God had a slightly different plan for my Lent than I did. I’m following His.
 
I’m severely tempted to not care about faith anymore. To take a break from all that Catholic stuff that causes anxiety and thinking about punishments and such.

Even atheists are better adjusted and better people than me.

No Lenten practice can change anything. I could go to confession but things will be back to the same. I just didn’t turn out good.
 
Hey, the worst thing we could do is give up. It never hurt to try, even if it was as little as anything. Lent isn’t always about giving up something, more or less its a look into the faith. You say your losing faith, I dont know your situation, but faith takes time to build. It might not seem now, we may not change for a long time, but God loves all. Punishment is for those who deny and dont want God in their lives, you might think God put this burden on you which isn’t the case. We are imperfect, but why should we blame God for what we have in front of us?

I started growing my faith when I was in a really deep drepession, and even to this day I still get sad at times. I just learned how to overcome my imperfection with faith to pull through and now present day I am much better than before, when I started holding out my hand to God. And that was years ago, it doesn’t take night and day, and even then Im still learning. You will be in my prayers and for God will always love you.
 
Last edited:
Thank you for your reply.

I just feel emotionally exhausted and mentally imbalanced during this Lent. God seems absent, I’m struggling to stay afloat and He seems nowhere to be found.

Today I prayed in front of the tabernacle for mental peace. I had another psychological breakdown.

For some strange reason, I have an image of Jesus in the garden.

Maybe I’m supposed to offer up my mental anguish, but I’m so useless and worthless, what could I possibly offer up this Lent?

The only other logical conclusion is God is angry with me and punishing me with obstacles in every path.

Maybe I’ll give up orange juice. It’s my one joy I have.
 
I’m severely tempted to not care about faith anymore. To take a break from all that Catholic stuff that causes anxiety and thinking about punishments and such.

Even atheists are better adjusted and better people than me.

No Lenten practice can change anything. I could go to confession but things will be back to the same. I just didn’t turn out good.
I am sorry you feel that way, that Catholicism makes you feel anxious. It shouldn’t. It actually frees you because it is clear what is the right thing to do.

Please don’t say you didn’t turn out good. God loves all of us equally, no matter what we have done. Do you really think you will feel better not going to confession and still sinning? No, you won’t.

I don’t know your age or your background to help you, but will pray for you.
 
Last edited:
I can pray to resist temptations of the flesh…but I just can’t imagine a God who loves me and cares about my life.

I can repeat Christian-ese about God loving everyone, salvation, etc… but it’s all a facade when I have no true understanding.

Going to Mass, praying, sure - I do that (with distractions…).

But it turns out all of that was just fake imitation.

Sorry to be a drag. In some sense, I have an inkling the devil is causing some of this, but because it seems reasonable, I can’t find a way to fight back with logic.
 
God is forgiving, we may question why God seems so silent and absent. Trust me, I had many lents where I just flop on my give ups, two years ago I tried giving up watching dirty videos, I only made it to 20 days and I just fell victim. But what I learned is even when we fall, what would be better? Giving up or trying again at becoming closer to God?

I have felt that feeling before where God seems so silent, he isnt going to give us a silver platter, he gave us freewill to do what we want. There might be obstacles but God isnt angry, maybe he is seeing how faithful we can be. I thought God was silent a couple years back and now that I see the present, I have grown and am glad I stayed with faith. It took years for me to become mentally stable again, I held my hand to God and I did my absolute to get closer to God. Am I a sinner still? Yes. Do I still question some stuff that doesnt go my way? Yes, but for what is it to us that dont do our absolute to fix it. I look now and I am reading scripture, having urge to go to mass, I joined some groups at my parish, and all that took years for me to come to this.

All I can say is its my faith that I am still standing here today, if I didnt keep myself on float and made efforts at all costs throughout my hardships(and there were many for me mentally all year round) to reach out to God even when he seemed silent, I would of probably killed myself long ago if it werent for my efforts to reach out to God( sorry it seemed so explicit to say that). And those efforts werent allot at first but overtime I gave it another shot and tried and tried.

Stay strong, as I said I will pray for you, I was in that instability in my life and God was there because I kept my hand out for him even when I didnt feel like it.
 
Last edited:
I’m exempt this year because of health issues and preparing for surgery. But I’ve still tried to get my reading in. So I give myself an “E” for effort.
 
It sounds like you’re going through a “dark night of the soul.”
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top