Your Favorite Musical?

  • Thread starter Thread starter PoliSciProf
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot to add

Jaques Brel Is Alive and Living In Paris

Oh What A Lovely War

Ruthie
 
I used to LOVE musicals when I was younger. I always especially loved the older musicals. The leading ladies of those musicals really needed to have a great vocal technique which don’t hear too much anymore for musicals, and as a child I was so in awe of them. Julie Andrews and Shirley Jones were two of my favorite singers and were the first inspirations for me. Although I do like happy musicals, I have a special love for depressing and tragic ones.

Here are some of my favorite musicals:
  • West Side Story (So much of the music was like an opera, and the story is just so great, probably why I love it so much. It’s tragedy all over.)
  • Sound of Music (What little girl who loves this and, given the opportunity, wouldn’t go up to the top of a mountain and sing out “The Hills are alive with the sound of music!!!”? Julie Andrews is wonderful as a singer!!)
  • My Fair Lady (I just love Eliza Doolittle’s character. Rex Harrison played such a perfect Henry Higgins. I never saw Julie Andrews’ version, but I did like what Audrey Hepburn did. I saw Richard Chamberlain play Henry Higgins on Broadway back in high school and he did a great job with it, too.)
  • Carousel (I always cry whenever I hear or sing “You’ll Never Walk Alone” and Shirley Jones is awesome!!!)
  • The Music Man (I just loved the music and Shirley Jones sings it so well. I’m not crazy with what some of today’s broadway singers do to the music. Jones sang it with such purity and wonderful technique. I don’t hear that as much with today’s musical singers.)
  • The King and I (It’s always sad when the King dies.)
  • Les Miserables (How can you not cry when everyone is killed after the battle? It’s such a great story - thank you Victor Hugo. And the music isn’t bad either. 👍 )
 
  • Les Miserables (How can you not cry when everyone is killed after the battle? It’s such a great story - thank you Victor Hugo. And the music isn’t bad either. 👍 )
Gee, you wait that long?? I started to cry when Valjean knelt on the stage to break rocks in the opening scene. Hardly stopped crying until 20 minutes after the show was over.:o
 
Gee, you wait that long?? I started to cry when Valjean knelt on the stage to break rocks in the opening scene. Hardly stopped crying until 20 minutes after the show was over.:o
Haven’t seen it live since high school, so who knows… I might actually start crying when it opens if I saw it today. 😃 The first time I saw it live was when I was about 12 or 13 and I didn’t cry because at that time I never allowed anything to make me cry and was the only young person amongst a group of sweet, little, old grannies and middle aged women, so I definitely didn’t want to cry in front of them. I saw it again a couple years later with my mom and cried once everyone died. Then I saw it my senior year of high school and our choir took a day trip to Manhatten and I was bawling prior to them getting killed when they were singing their big number, then subsequently bawled throughout almost the rest of the show. I really loved the movie version with Liam Neeson too.
 
I loved the musical “mamma mia”… I can’t wait to buy the movie when it comes out on video!
 
Sharmin, be sure and watch it first, unless it’s a film of the stage version. Hollywood has a definite “talent” for taking something excellent and making it a travesty. Like “The Fantasticks” and “Chorus Line,” for a couple of horrible examples.

Ruthie
 
Cabaret. the beer garden scene (“Tomorrow Belongs To Me”) is, I think, one of the most powerful in american cinema.
 
Sharmin, be sure and watch it first, unless it’s a film of the stage version. Hollywood has a definite “talent” for taking something excellent and making it a travesty. Like “The Fantasticks” and “Chorus Line,” for a couple of horrible examples.

Ruthie
Thanks for the heads up. I have watched it and it was awesome! I recommend it to everyone. 😃
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top