A Modesty Question For Women- Skirts

• Thread starter Thread starter CuriositasEtFidem
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
He also forbade shorts on men of any age who came to his confessional. Somehow we never hear about that.
Men are not shamed the way women are about their bodies or dress. If a man wears shorts…meh, bad judgment. If a woman has a skirt that touches the top of the knee or clothes that others decide are too clingy, it’s a complete and utter moral failing.

If I wore something my husband thought immodest, I would not ‘have explaining to do’ when I got home. If he has concerns (about anything), we discuss it respectfully.

Curious, what does a woman ‘100 pounds’ have to do with it? If she was 200 pounds would that make a knee length skirt more or less ‘immodest’? 🤔

For those on their way to prepare popcorn, please don’t use the pre-seasoned kind with the phony butter taste, as it’s harmful to the lungs.

Another popcorn tidbit hack I found on YouTube: just put some popcorn in the bottom of a paper bag (with no added ingredients), fold down the top a few times, & nuke on high until you hear that the popping is slowing down. Remove from the microwave, season as you wish, and enjoy the show!

Your wife’s weight has nothing to do with modesty. An immodest outfit is immodest whether it’s on a 100 pound lady or a 250 pound lady.

Also, I’m very glad my husband didn’t tell me, and my father didn’t tell my mother, that we would have some “explaining to do” to our husbands if we did a certain thing. That seems pretty disrespectful to treat a spouse like they were a child who has to answer to you. It was funny on “I Love Lucy” but that was a fictional situation comedy from 60 or 70 years ago. It is not reality.

I realize this is maybe the way you and your wife get along, and maybe you’re okay with that, but it is still uncomfortable to read.

Last edited:
For those on their way to prepare popcorn, please don’t use the pre-seasoned kind with the phony butter taste, as it’s harmful to the lungs.
I want that butter from the movie house that tastes like plastic and is probably carcinogenic but you can put on as much as you want and make your popcorn really sopping with it.

I think this is a common sense thing. A tennis skirt legnth skirt is a mini skirt ff the court.
Our rule is 3 fingers above kneecap.

Last edited:
I see. I have never heard the expression! Thank you for clarifying.

Men are not shamed the way women are about their bodies or dress.
The fact that this is true does not mean that it is right.
If a woman has a skirt that touches the top of the knee or clothes that others decide are too clingy, it’s a complete and utter moral failing.
This is ridiculous.

Some examples of “complete and utter moral failing”:

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge

Brigitte Macron, First Lady of France

HM The Queen of Spain

Sanna Marin, Prime Minister of Finland

The Rt Hon. Jacinda Ardern, MP, Prime Minister of New Zealand

Last edited:
That seems pretty disrespectful to treat a spouse like they were a child who has to answer to you.
My husband has said to me during a variety of discussions, after offering his thoughts, “those are just my thoughts, but you’re an adult and can make your own decisions”. (A lot of the dynamic of ‘approval’ of decisions or anything else about me is rooted in my mother’s neglect and abuse, and my husband has spent two decades helping me grow from that). Thing is, because of our mutual respect, I want my husband’s perspective and our values and opinions typically align.

@Tis_Bearself That’s a new hairstyle on you…I love the volume! 💜🐻

This is ridiculous.

Some examples of “complete and utter moral failing”:
@NevermoreLenore was calling out the injustice of considering men’s clothes “bad judgment” and women’s clothes a “moral failing” when they do not meet someone’s expectation. She agrees with you 😉

@NevermoreLenore was calling out the injustice of considering men’s clothes “bad judgment” and women’s clothes a “moral failing” when they do not meet someone’s expectation. She agrees with you 😉
Thank you for helping to get across my point. Yes, it IS ridiculous, that was my point. People’s judgment based on their own standards of modesty, which may or may not be valid.

Between these topics and the ‘true Catholics would never support Biden/Biden is not a true Catholic’ topics, I am increasingly bothered by the sin of pride, moral grandstanding, and virulent judgment I’ve seen on CA. It’s disappointing to me but serves as a reminder to myself to continually assess my own mindset and beware of pride.

My apologies. I guess I have seen enough posts by people who actually do think that it is a complete and utter moral failing for a woman to wear trousers, a skirt above the knee, a skirt without a slip underneath, etc that I just assumed that this was another such post.

Well, most of those skirts would look just as good, if not better below the knee. Especially the tighter ones. When those ladies sit, thise skirts will be mid thigh. And they’d better hope there isnt anyone sat opposite them!

And who chose those outfits of the (choir?) with the Duchess of Brabant?! 😯 They were indecent! Anything so tight and neutral/skin tones - just no.

And imo a skirt can look less modest on a “larger lady”. I still use the rule I learnt at school, if the skirt isn’t touching the floor when you kneel down, it’s too short.

True dat. Some of the details got a little ‘shudder making’, I.e. men with very hairy legs wearing shorts and sandals. I admit as a woman I found that idea gross and yes I KNOW all about, “it’s 90 degrees and so HUMMMMIIIDDDD”, but we’re talking about 60-75 minutes on average from out of the house to back in the house—or car where the shirts can be peeled off— is that too much to ask our strong manly men to handle? Really? My grandfather worked in NYC in the 1920s, no air conditioning, wearing shirt, vest, tie, coat and pants, shoes and socks, and HAT, and he wore the same to Mass on Sunday.

I know that men today are just as strong and capable as the men who used to go out and work in hot offices, hot warehouses, hot streets, hot fields, etc etc for hours and days and then got themselves ‘dressed up’ for Sunday Mass as well. Just as women are as strong and capable as their moms and grandmas who wore girdles, slips, dresses, gloves and hats.

And most of us aren’t even asking the guys to go ‘all out’ with suits and ties; we are asking only for a short sleeved shirt that’s clean and not covered with slogans or sports, and a pair of slacks or even jeans.

For ladies, again at least a short sleeved shirt that doesn’t show any of your ‘assets’, a skirt that is close to knee length or a pair of slacks or shorts that are ‘golf length’ I.e. Bermuda shorts and again not covered with slogans or questionable ‘art’; head covering optional but nice.

I have noticed recently a trend for men (and women) to be dressing a bit more ‘formally’ lately.

I wonder if, after several months of COVID and being ‘at home’ and able to slob out to one’s heart’s content, the pendulum is now moving to people wanting to get out and look NICE for a change!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back