Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Says U.S. Is 'Running Concentration Camps on Our Southern Border'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might I ask what part you deem to be untrue? Is it the Wiki part? As to the other parts.

President Trump has:
  1. Not exterminated anyone.
  2. We are interning Hispanics in camps.
  3. Stated that “they” aren’t sending their best, murderers and rapists, while assuming some are good people.
  4. He has called the press the enemy of the people.
While the whole idea that Trump is likely to be a murderous dictator is ridiculous, that was implied, not said.

FYI - I get having dander up over such lack of historical knowledge. I get someone like AOC who plays her naivete on reality to here base, thinking like that. I hope she grows out of it some day.
 
Last edited:
So we can also all agree that people shouod no longer complain about lifesitenews.com and other websites of its ilk too? It seems that they get attacked for being hyperbolic or inaccurate but we defend it elsewhere.
I don’t like the tendency of politicians to hyperbolize. But I understand that that they, sadly, are in the business of persuasion. News organization should be giving the news. If they are in the business of persuasion and are untrue to the facts in the advancement of an agenda they are not news organization at all and should be disregarded as sources of news.
I think that speaking the
 
Do you consider all refugee camps to be concentration camps? All of them are horribly nasty places, overcrowded and dangerous.
These are not refugee camps. People are being detained against their will by the state and abused by guards and officials working for the state. They are by their own admission detention facilities. They’re more like prisons or, perhaps, concentration camps.
 
They can leave to go back to their home country anytime they want.
 
Last edited:
(Satire follows :roll_eyes: … not as funny spoiling it … but … truth in labelling has its merits)

"CONCENTRATION CAMPS"

And it’s worse than THAT Alexandria!

The “inmates” didn’t even get their government sponsored free train ride there.

🤔 You-know-who really IS “worse than Hitler” maybe.

🤔 Why do people keep COMING to “Trump’s Amerikkka”?

When FDR ran concentration camps they at least imported some of the finest gardeners in the state of California to live there (instead of being drafted and deported off to WWII).

But FDR went and GOT people. It’s so sad how far these people have to come on their own… and with other peoples’ children sometimes … just to find that the concrete, inner-fenced buildings with aluminum foil blankets … aren’t run by Obama anymore.

🥴 - on the other hand, if Trump uses AOC’s criticisms to shut DOWN these “concentration camps” and give the people streaming them a free ride “home” to their own countries … would she then be an accessory to … his … racism?

If only those irresponsible countries (not the U.S. in THIS case) had listened to the liberal “intellectuals” counsel on “irresponsible overpopulation” and had aborted their way to being much better societies. We could all be in heaven now … and without that god guy.
 
Until very recently in history, WWII Japanese internment camps were referred to as “concentration camps.” It once simply meant concentrating a lot of people into one camp. As you’ve indicated, the language shifted because of the heavy association with the torture and murder of Jews in the German camps.

Also, sadly, most of this country doesn’t know much history, and they only concentration camps people have heard of are the German ones.

I agree that her word choice was unwise and I won’t defend it, but it’s not as deliberately inflammatory as the Fox-istas want to make it.
 
Thank you for the response. I know now where you are coming from and I appreciate that.

I disagree about these not being refugee camps. If we are not in agreement on that fundamental point, we would never be able to have a fruitful discussion.
 
I agree with you here.

Just as other terms and words have shifted meaning through the years, “concentration camp” has too. It is not wise to attempt to sway opinion while using terms that are loaded such as this.

I somewhat disagree on the last sentence.
 
I somewhat disagree on the last sentence.
Oh, I do think she was trying to be provocative, especially if she’s drawing a parallel to, say, the experience of the Nisei.

I do NOT think that she was saying that detaining Latinos is the same thing as hauling Jewish people into work camps and gas chambers.
 
I am not sure I agree with that. She has a way of being provocative. I think it has a lot to do with being so young with limited life experience outside of the North Eastern cities.
 

(That’s satire, friends, with a biting message for those who think we’re nothing like 1933 Germany)
 
There are a lot of parallels, but there are also a lot of differences, as well as safe-guards. For one, the military is sworn to uphold the Constitution, not the Presidency. For another, the President isn’t authorized to have his own private police force or military.
 
(That’s satire, friends, with a biting message for those who think we’re nothing like 1933 Germany)
I think the worst indictment of American universities is that people can spend 4 years in an elite university, like Boston University and come out believing their are any meaningful parallels between 2019 America and 1933 Germany. It’s truly criminal what colleges in the US get away with.
 
Last edited:
I think the worst indictment of American universities is that people can spend 4 years in an elite university, like Boston College, and come out believing their are any meaningful parallels between 2019 America and 1933 Germany. It’s truly criminal what colleges in the US get away with.
Just to clarify, she got her economics degree not from Boston College, but Boston University, same part of the country, but an unrelated institution.
 
Just to clarify, she got her economics degree not from Boston College, but Boston University, same part of the country, but an unrelated institution.
My apologies to BC alumni for the mix up, though in the end, people are taught much the same misinformation there.
 
Last edited:
There are a lot of parallels, but there are also a lot of differences, as well as safe-guards. For one, the military is sworn to uphold the Constitution, not the Presidency. For another, the President isn’t authorized to have his own private police force or military.
Do you know much about the rise of National Socialism in Germany?
 
40.png
gracepoole:
(That’s satire, friends, with a biting message for those who think we’re nothing like 1933 Germany)
I think the worst indictment of American universities is that people can spend 4 years in an elite university, like Boston University and come out believing their are any meaningful parallels between 2019 America and 1933 Germany. It’s truly criminal what colleges in the US get away with.
Huh. I spent far more than 4 years in universities and now teach Holocaust studies at one. Am I stupid for recognizing parallels alongside my colleagues?
 
She went to that elite expensive college and she’s calling dirt poor whites privileged? What a hypocrite as she projects her privilege onto others. Maybe a 4500 thousand dollar a year pay raise is “not really like a raise” to someone who graduated from that college, but it would sure be a big raise to working stiffs. Yet the latter are the privileged ones. So a raise isn’t a raise and the unprivileged are privileged . Orwell was onto something.
 
I spent far more than 4 years in universities and now teach Holocaust studies at one. Am I stupid for recognizing parallels alongside my colleagues?
In a sane world, American universities teaching that there are meaningful parallels between 1933 Germany and 2019 America have there doors closed and their teachers spending the rest of their careers fighting civil lawsuits from aggrieved students and parents rather than receiving billions in state and federal subsidies. Or maybe repurposed as asylums for the insane. Sadly, our world is not sane.
 
Last edited:
40.png
gracepoole:
I spent far more than 4 years in universities and now teach Holocaust studies at one. Am I stupid for recognizing parallels alongside my colleagues?
In a sane world, American universities teaching that there are meaningful parallels between 1933 Germany and 2019 America have there doors closed and their teachers spending the rest of their careers fighting civil lawsuits from aggrieved students and parents rather than receiving billions in state and federal subsidies. Sadly, our world is not sane.
First, I wasn’t only educated in WWII history and Holocaust studies in American universities, and yet I still see parallels… 🤔 Second, given the reputable Holocaust historians (e.g., Christopher Browning) who have noted frightening parallels, why should anyone agree with your claim that we’re all simply insane?
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top