An Eternity in Hell for a Moment of Sin

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ramalama
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the wonderful post JP
Thanks for the encouragement, Tom! I’m new on the block, but I know the Holy Spirit has led me here to faith share, because I can’t go a day now without wanting to talk about The Holy Spirit working in our lives to lead us to Truth! (Of course, the housework isn’t getting done too well!) God is Good! I just want everyone to feel the way I feel inside, because I know it comes from the Holy Spirit! I never felt so alive! I’m starting to believe St. Monica (I took her name) has been praying for my own conversion over the years since my Confirmation!!! I am humbled if the Lord is using me to do His will this way. God bless us all!
 
This is a common misunderstanding, again I refer you to the Catechism. It’s really worth reading.
I’m in a similar boat as Ramalama - a newcomer to the faith. I have every intention of reading the Catechism, as soon as possible. But let me say, this kind of response really leaves me cold. If a doctor handed me a medical textbook and said “Get back to me after you finish this, it’s really worth reading,” I can just about guarantee I won’t be going back to that doctor.

I know you referred him to a specific section of the Catechism, which certainly helps. But it really is a very intimidating document to a newcomer, and repeated admonishments for not reading it don’t strike me as very helpful.
 
First, I appreciate your replies. Please note that I’m really trying to understand, not just debate.

In Fr. Serpa’s story (in the link’ed post) the man, presumably a just, holy Catholic, commits a mortal sin, maybe his first in decades. Lets assume that if he had time to think about what he did he would repentant and ask for forgiveness. Unfortunately, he dies moments later.

Some of you have implied God would judge the man’s entire life - that sounds reasonable and what I expected. That’s not what Fr. Serpa said. He said he would spend eternity in hell. I can’t say how wrong that seems to me.

Protestations that God is just and will do the right thing work for me. Is Fr. Serpa misinformed?

Let me add a bit of a personal note. My wife and I, both Catholic candidates, were discussing this last night. She got angry, saying maybe this isn’t the religion for her. I didn’t go that far, but the more I think about this, the more angry I get! Help! :mad:
A person who has been justified and is dead to the law…one of the elect cannot lose their salvation. This is evident throughout scripture. The countless passages that say this reveal that there has been a mis-interpretation of other scriptures (by the Catholic Church) so as to indicate that one can lose salvation after truly coming to Christ as Lord and Savior - repentant over their sin…clinging to the cross asnd the cross alone for salvation. Those who are of the elect will be saved…all others will not enter…

Revelation 21:27 And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb’s book of life.

1John 5:12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Joh 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

There are two groups…the elect and non-elect. The elect will be saved.
 
A person who has been justified and is dead to the law…one of the elect cannot lose their salvation. This is evident throughout scripture. The countless passages that say this reveal that there has been a mis-interpretation of other scriptures (by the Catholic Church)
You mean those who revolted against the Church changed the teaching.
 
I’m in a similar boat as Ramalama - a newcomer to the faith. I have every intention of reading the Catechism, as soon as possible. But let me say, this kind of response really leaves me cold. If a doctor handed me a medical textbook and said “Get back to me after you finish this, it’s really worth reading,” I can just about guarantee I won’t be going back to that doctor.

I know you referred him to a specific section of the Catechism, which certainly helps. But it really is a very intimidating document to a newcomer, and repeated admonishments for not reading it don’t strike me as very helpful.
Sigh…

Looks like it’s time for me to break out the apologies again. Tom, I’m sorry about this post. I had a rough night and I’m feeling confrontational, and I didn’t listen to the little niggling voice that told me not to hit “submit”. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with your post, I’m just a schmuck.

But I’m working on it. 🙂

Again, sorry.
 
Sigh…

Looks like it’s time for me to break out the apologies again. Tom, I’m sorry about this post. I had a rough night and I’m feeling confrontational, and I didn’t listen to the little niggling voice that told me not to hit “submit”. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with your post, I’m just a schmuck.

But I’m working on it. 🙂

Again, sorry.
LOL, no problem, I know it’s confusing and intimidating. The Church published a “compendium” to the catechism, it’s a lot smaller and the format is questions and answers. Try it :vatican.va/archive/compendium_ccc/documents/archive_2005_compendium-ccc_en.html
 
Sigh…

Looks like it’s time for me to break out the apologies again. Tom, I’m sorry about this post. I had a rough night and I’m feeling confrontational, and I didn’t listen to the little niggling voice that told me not to hit “submit”. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with your post, I’m just a schmuck.

But I’m working on it. 🙂

Again, sorry.
Like to see this! Peacemaking, apologizing, forgiveness… it’s a beautiful thing… too bad the rest of the world didn’t trust in it!
My husband always turns on the news in the morning when he first gets up and I am always woken by some anger/unforgiveness/or hate expressed on the news… think I’m going to have to turn the channel to EWTN before I go to bed, so maybe when he turns it on, I will be woken by good things first in my day! Let us continue to pray for one another to live as Jesus taught us! Love and forgive! I’m just admiring you saying that you should have never posted your initial comments. I was actually considering posting the idea to you that the reason we often lead people to books, is because (well, at least in my case), my ability to explain something would not be so “well-said” as the original source. I’m terrible at telephone game! Like to see Catholics living their faith at this website! That’s the peacemaker in me! But, I agree, I am a basic kinda gal and get a bit hung-up on the “big words” too… I actually dropped out of the English honors program in high school after sophomore year, telling my teacher, “There’s a problem when I don’t understand what my fellow classmates are saying.” Many things go over this head of mine… guess that’s not too hard to do, being short as I am! LOL! Have a good night!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top