Animals / Hunting / Michael Vick

  • Thread starter Thread starter PeteZaHut
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Deer herds are overpopulated in many areas because man has killed the wolves, bears, bobcats and other predators that existed across most of North America to make it safe for humans to live outside of walled cities. Without natural predators many species are overpopulating and that is wreaking havoc on the eco-systems.
So just to take this one example, by not killing the excess deer and managing their populations we are allowing plants and other animals to die off. Every attempt as ‘sterilization’ and ‘birth control’ of the deer herds has failed nationally. That is not a viable option.
.
You had to bring up the slaughter of the dear wolves.:crying: You make very valid points, but do keep in mind that we humans mess up the planet more than any other species. To maintain the poplulation by hunting…okay, not a bad idea since the animals don’t know NFP, but then we should stop breeding cows, pigs, chickens, etc. for food, since we have this overabundance of another food animal.
 
That is truly sick! Killing a defensless creature for the Almighty Dollar? What a man. NOT!
He’s just pulling your chain. Go re-read his post and ask yourself if this isn’t a rather juvenile way to taunt people.
 
He’s just pulling your chain. Go re-read his post and ask yourself if this isn’t a rather juvenile way to taunt people.
It wasn’t obvious, but then I’ve been reading a lot of garbage written by other people today so I’m likely to read things in a more negative light. If that statement wasn’t meant how I read it, I apologize, If it was, my point still stands, but rephrasing may have been a good idea. Mockery has always been how points have been made in my family, and it is a fault I am trying to overcome. Prayers that I succeed in that are appreciated.
 
Shame on you.:dts: That is truly sick! Nothing sexier than a man who makes his living killing something that can’t defend itself.
Perhaps he is a professional hunting guide. Nothing sick about that. In fact, it is better that people use guides, especially the inexperienced. It prevents them from blundering about and shooting at the wrong things.
 
Perhaps he is a professional hunting guide. Nothing sick about that. In fact, it is better that people use guides, especially the inexperienced. It prevents them from blundering about and shooting at the wrong things.
And perhaps he is an astronaut in training for a trip to Cygnus Minor, too – that’s about as likely.😛

(Note: Professional hunting guides guide. They don’t shoot – except in rare instances to protect the client, or to prevent the escape of a wounded animal to a slow and agonizing death.)
 
And perhaps he is an astronaut in training for a trip to Cygnus Minor, too – that’s about as likely.😛

(Note: Professional hunting guides guide. They don’t shoot – except in rare instances to protect the client, or to prevent the escape of a wounded animal to a slow and agonizing death.)
Well, you can see **my **level of experience! 😃

I have never been hunting. (okay, rabbit hunting when I was 12 once.) Despite the fact that it is something that I am not interested in, I see no reason to prevent others from doing it. With reasonable restrictions such as season, limits, etc.
 
Well, you can see **my **level of experience! 😃

I have never been hunting. (okay, rabbit hunting when I was 12 once.) Despite the fact that it is something that I am not interested in, I see no reason to prevent others from doing it. With reasonable restrictions such as season, limits, etc.
There is one dirty secret (although the gentleman in question is not involved in this .) Some national parks require game management techniques to reduce the size of the herd (the elk herd in Yellowstone Park is an example). Since it is politically impossible to change the law to allow hunters to go in, harvest the surplus animals, and use the meat and hides, the government hires people to slaughter these animals secretly in the back country and leave their carcasses to rot.
 
I don’t mean to get this topic riled up again, but I have a question. I am not condemning anyone for hunting. I know it is accepted in the Church if done properly.

My question is that if you are disgusted with Michael Vick allegedly shooting a dog, what is this difference in shooting a deer? Is it becaue society has deemed dogs as pets, and they are better than other animals? Would you have no problem with Michael Vick if he had eaten the dog after killing it?

Again, I support the churches teaching. This is just a topic where I think the line has become to thin in society between what’s morally permissible and what’s absolutely appauling.
 
There is one dirty secret (although the gentleman in question is not involved in this .) Some national parks require game management techniques to reduce the size of the herd (the elk herd in Yellowstone Park is an example). Since it is politically impossible to change the law to allow hunters to go in, harvest the surplus animals, and use the meat and hides, the government hires people to slaughter these animals secretly in the back country and leave their carcasses to rot.
I believe this is the same motive for reintroducing predators, like wolves, to certain national parks. Predation is a very important aspect to a stable ecosystem.
 
I believe this is the same motive for reintroducing predators, like wolves, to certain national parks. Predation is a very important aspect to a stable ecosystem.
Yes, it is. However to date, natural preditation has not been able to keep the herds in balance. And the idea that it is more moral to slaughter elk and leave their carcasses to rot than to allow controlled sport hunting is one that I can’t swallow.
 
I don’t mean to get this topic riled up again, but I have a question. I am not condemning anyone for hunting. I know it is accepted in the Church if done properly.

My question is that if you are disgusted with Michael Vick allegedly shooting a dog, what is this difference in shooting a deer? Is it becaue society has deemed dogs as pets, and they are better than other animals? Would you have no problem with Michael Vick if he had eaten the dog after killing it?

Again, I support the churches teaching. This is just a topic where I think the line has become to thin in society between what’s morally permissible and what’s absolutely appauling.
You mistake the cause of our disgust. I am disgusted with Michael Vick and others breeding dogs in filthy, miserable conditions and training them to fight to the death for someone’s “enjoyment.”
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by latinmasslover
Humans began eating meat, AFTER the flood destroyed the vegetation. …
So we’ve been eating meat a long time.😃
Originally Posted by latinmasslover
. . .Think about it, it’s flesh. In your mouth. Yuck. .
Elk sirloin. Yum!😛
 
I don’t mean to get this topic riled up again, but I have a question. I am not condemning anyone for hunting. I know it is accepted in the Church if done properly.

My question is that if you are disgusted with Michael Vick allegedly shooting a dog, what is this difference in shooting a deer? Is it becaue society has deemed dogs as pets, and they are better than other animals? Would you have no problem with Michael Vick if he had eaten the dog after killing it?

Again, I support the churches teaching. This is just a topic where I think the line has become to thin in society between what’s morally permissible and what’s absolutely appauling.
One important distiction is Vick bread his animales to fight each other and killed his animals because they where poor fighers. To kill animales in the wild or raised domesticly for food is a different matter. While killing the animale is the same end, the intention of the act is different, and that’s the distinction.
 
I didn’t know the Church taught that.:confused:

It’s not a matter of Church teaching, it’s in the Bible.

I’m not condemning eating meat or hunting, in a manner of speaking. For money or enjoyment, yes, I myself am opposed (as far as hunting goes) and raising animals for food…I’m opposed to the horrid conditions they’re made to live in and the manner in which they’re killed. It’s very inhumane…

PETA gets condemned a lot because they fight for animals and not humans…well, the organization is for animals, what’s the problem? Nobody condemns Priests for Life because their work doesn’t focus on animals and the planet, which needs a lot of attention. PETA tends to overdo things at times, I’m not denying that, but they do make good points that shouldn’t be overlooked because they’re not focusing on other issues. It is an animal organization for the *humane treatment of animals *(which every Christian should support ).
 
Oh, I know it’s in the Bible, I just thought that the Flood story was mostly symbolic and not really historical.
 
PETA gets condemned a lot because they fight for animals and not humans…well, the organization is for animals, what’s the problem?
Could it be because PETA representatives pick up animals to “protect,” then kill them and throw them in dumpsters?

Or maybe because they put up signs urging college students to drink beer instead of milk?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top