Animals / Hunting / Michael Vick

  • Thread starter Thread starter PeteZaHut
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
i love vegans.

it’s simple supply and demand… the more people who abstain from meat, the cheaper the prices for me.

and i get to eat more meat.

thank you, non-meat eaters for potentially fattening my wallet.

/nothing really to add to this thread except vegetarians… if you don’t want to eat meat, goodie for you.enjoy your seitan and sprouts till the cows come home… i love animals - pan seared, fried or baked… its just food with legs to me. nothing more or less.
Amen!

You ever get really hungry watching those nature shows? I was watching a pack of wolves take down an elk, and all I can think about now is elk sausage. It’s even harder to go to an aquarium. Every aquarium should have a seafood restaurant in it.
 
Or to put it another way, if we held PETA to the same standards PETA wants to apply to KFC, PETA would have been out of business long ago.
PETA - People for the Eternal Torment of Agriculture.

Had to put that in being from Iowa.

Nohome
 
You ever get really hungry watching those nature shows? I was watching a pack of wolves take down an elk, and all I can think about now is elk sausage. It’s even harder to go to an aquarium. Every aquarium should have a seafood restaurant in it.
I just got back from a professional meeting in Boston. We toured the New England Aquarium followed by an on-site lobster dinner and clam bake!

Monteray Aquarium offers a seafood guide.

mbayaq.org/cr/seafoodwatch.asp

Nohome
 
But we see it very differently if it involves pets.
Most people couldn’t imagine eating a dog.
But a pig or a cow is perfectly all right?🤷

Kathrin
if you cook me up some puppy, in a traditional vietnamese dish, say… it would probably be delicious. and i’d have no problem eating it.
If my family was starving to death, i PROMISE you my beloved golden retriever would be on the grill faster than i could pour barbaque sauce on him. he’s old, probably a little gamey… but he’s still an animal.

its still food… even if its cute.
 
We joke about naming our pets after food.

This is our turtle, Soup.

These are our chickens, Broiler, Fryer, and Nuggets.

This is our turkey, Tetrazzini

This is our lamb, Stu.

Good cow names? Ribeye and Porterhouse.

We are considering naming the cat “Chinese Food”
 
I don’t mean to get this topic riled up again, but I have a question. I am not condemning anyone for hunting. I know it is accepted in the Church if done properly.

My question is that if you are disgusted with Michael Vick allegedly shooting a dog, what is this difference in shooting a deer? Is it becaue society has deemed dogs as pets, and they are better than other animals? Would you have no problem with Michael Vick if he had eaten the dog after killing it?

Again, I support the churches teaching. This is just a topic where I think the line has become to thin in society between what’s morally permissible and what’s absolutely appauling.
Vick didn’t merely shoot dog - he, according to the indictment, electricuted, crushed and drowned dogs that were raised and traind to kill other dogs for the purpose of gambling.
 
But if you look into an animal’s eyes don’t you see emotions there?

I think there can be a real connection between an animal and a human.
And then you wouldn’t think of that particular animal as food anymore, I would think?

Kathrin
 
But if you look into an animal’s eyes don’t you see emotions there?
I can see the iris, and with a strong light can see the retina, but no emotions.
I think there can be a real connection between an animal and a human.
And then you wouldn’t think of that particular animal as food anymore, I would think?

Kathrin
Depends on how wealthy you are. People who live close to the bone – such as many indian tribes, regarded any animal as food, including dogs and horses.
 
I am not wealthy though. I often live hand to mouth, kind of. I have eaten thrown-out bread from bakeries.
 
But if you look into an animal’s eyes don’t you see emotions there?
Yes, I certainly do. We are a multi-pet family and I do believe that animals have the ability to show affection, playfulness, agression, fear, love and other signs of emotion. I do not, however, believe that animals have the congative ability to reason future thought or consequences.
I think there can be a real connection between an animal and a human.
And then you wouldn’t think of that particular animal as food anymore, I would think?

Kathrin
I guess I’ve seen people bond with sheep, pigs, goats and cows and still have eaten all of those animals.

What I believe is that seeing the fact that animals can have emotions is reason enough for us to show compassion in our treatment of animals. That includes to quickly kill them when we use them for food. That also includes making laws to prevent abuse and punishing those folks, like Michael Vick, who abuse animals. Again, while I do not personally hunt, I believe that proper stewardship of wildlife obviously includes controlling herd sizes to ecologically sustainable levels. I believe that animal agriculture should also be as humane as possible so the animals we raise/use for food are not abused.
Good cow names? Ribeye and Porterhouse.

We are considering naming the cat “Chinese Food”
The farmer down the road raises a few cows each year for beef. Usually just 3 to 4. Last year he had one that used to lay down in the middle of the pasture. We nicknamed him "Meat Loaf"

As for the cat, a better name might be "Taco Meat."
 
i love vegans.

it’s simple supply and demand… the more people who abstain from meat, the cheaper the prices for me.

and i get to eat more meat.

thank you, non-meat eaters for potentially fattening my wallet.

/nothing really to add to this thread except vegetarians… if you don’t want to eat meat, goodie for you.enjoy your seitan and sprouts till the cows come home… i love animals - pan seared, fried or baked… its just food with legs to me. nothing more or less.
that crude sarcasim was a little unnecessary, don’t you think?
 
When I look into my cat’s eyes, it tries to attack my face. No, I don’t think they exhibit much depth of emotion.
 
When I look into my cat’s eyes, it tries to attack my face. No, I don’t think they exhibit much depth of emotion.
In literature, the ascription of human emotions and thoughts to animals is called “The Pathetic Fallacy.”
 
In literature, the ascription of human emotions and thoughts to animals is called “The Pathetic Fallacy.”
I’ll have to remember that! I know some people who refer to their dog as their “child.” It’s so annoying hearing them elaborate on their dog’s personality and listening to what their dog “thinks” about everything.:rolleyes:
 
I just got back from a professional meeting in Boston. We toured the New England Aquarium followed by an on-site lobster dinner and clam bake!

Monteray Aquarium offers a seafood guide.

mbayaq.org/cr/seafoodwatch.asp

Nohome
Thanks for the link! It’s great for seafood info. I didn’t know what imitation crab was made of, so I was kind of confused when I read that it is caught in Alaska. And the sea turtle being endangered and poached is quite sad. They are supposed be the best-tasting turtle out there, so I would like to see them make a comeback.

Melensdad,

I guess I have a good reason to go to the aquarium when I visit Chicago next year!
 
I’ll have to remember that! I know some people who refer to their dog as their “child.” It’s so annoying hearing them elaborate on their dog’s personality and listening to what their dog “thinks” about everything.:rolleyes:
What!!! Well I won’t tell you what my dog thinks:( :rolleyes:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top