Anti-Catholicism on Desperate Housewives

  • Thread starter Thread starter striving
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Richardols,

So, because I like the show “Lost,” or “American Dreams” (which is very Catholic in tone and nature, that means I am not a truly intelligent person?
 
40.png
TPJCatholic:
Richardols,

So, because I like the show “Lost,” or “American Dreams” (which is very Catholic in tone and nature, that means I am not a truly intelligent person?
So, you’ve found two programs that aren’t totally stupid. Out of the dozens and dozens on the air. Great. I’ll have to take your word for it.

I haven’t had a television for some years now and stopped watching it because I couldn’t find programs worth my time. Television seems to me to be the opiate of the unintelligent - as a general rule - and I have better ways to entertain myself than to be a couch potato.

But, each to his own taste, of course.
 
Richardols,

I would ask you to put down your sword and realize that watching tv does not mean a person is stupid, or that he/she is somehow less than a good person or Catholic. Watch closely that ego of yours, it can get you in trouble my friend–elevating ourselves above others is never a good thing.

What shows we choose to watch, and how much time we choose to give to viewing television is very much a monitor of where a person is in their journey, abuse of anything is a bad thing and allowing trash to enter our minds is also an abuse of the time and talents gave us. Yet, if we took you attitude to the extreme, then no person should ever go to a movie, or read a novel because most of the movies and novels of our day are just as bad and trashy as most tv shows.
 
40.png
TPJCatholic:
I would ask you to put down your sword and realize that watching tv does not mean a person is stupid, or that he/she is somehow less than a good person or Catholic.
I didn’t say that a person who watches TV is stupid, but I hardly consider it a mark of intelligence.

I certainly didn’t say that such people aren’t good or aren’t Catholics.
elevating ourselves above others is never a good thing.
Sorry, but in my opinion, a person does a lot better for himself intellectually by avoiding television. I’m not the only person who says that it’s mostly stupidity; and we’re not elitists in saying so.
allowing trash to enter our minds is also an abuse of the time and talents gave us.
Exactly my point.
Yet, if we took you attitude to the extreme, then no person should ever go to a movie, or read a novel because most of the movies and novels of our day are just as bad and trashy as most tv shows.
Not a good parallel. None of us spends hours and hours at the movies. And, we can get an idea of the nature of movies from the reviews before we attend and the same about books.
 
Richardols,

Okay, so you have essentially made your point that I am a stupid person. Thanks. 🙂
 
40.png
Richardols:
I, for one, am totally unsympathetic to Gibson. I thought some scenes in the film were sadistic, myself. But, that’s just film criticism, my opinion. BTW, The Patriot was a piece of junk, wholly untrue to actual history. Again, just a personal opinion.

And Gibson made big bucks from that film - no, big, big bucks. He’s also a big boy and has to take praise and censure equally.
He put up big, big bucks as I recall.
40.png
Richardols:
Try Michael Cimino and his piece of excrement, Heaven’s Gate.
How many essays did Frank Rich devote to it? What was the level of hysteria surrounding its opening (including charges that it would incite anti-Semetic violence)?
40.png
Richardols:
How right you are. Those of us who might disagree with you obviously don’t put stock in putting our families first, making sacrifices, or being subordinate to others. We don’t want successful families. Such an insult only makes me disbelieve your description of those “perfect” families.
I really don’t see how what I said is an insult. It certainly wasn’t meant to be. To me, it is obvious that not everyone in our society is into putting others first. If they were, abortion would be a non-issue, children would be cared for and never harmed and the divorce rate would be nil. Marriages dissolve because people can’t put the needs of others before their own. The concept of subordination to others, especially as it respects women, is routinely riduculed. Just ask any stay-at-home mom. By saying that this mind-set exists should’t be construed as insulting to anyone.

But then again, I expect that reaction. It makes it easier to dismiss me and my opinion, regardless of whether or not there is validity to my words. Denigrating rather than debating seems to be a hallmark of the left. But I’m a big girl…I can take it.
 
40.png
condan:
He put up big, big bucks as I recall.
And made way, way more of a return from it. No need to cry for him.
How many essays did Frank Rich devote to it? What was the level of hysteria surrounding its opening (including charges that it would incite anti-Semetic violence)?
That it didn’t incite anti-semitic violence didn’t mean that there was no reason to fear that it might.
I really don’t see how what I said is an insult. It certainly wasn’t meant to be.
Well, when you said “it might not be for you,” silly me thought that “you” meant “you,” that is, me.
By saying that this mind-set exists should’t be construed as insulting to anyone.
Except when you direct it at someone you are addressing.
It makes it easier to dismiss me and my opinion, regardless of whether or not there is validity to my words.
No need for self-pitying defensiveness.
Denigrating rather than debating seems to be a hallmark of the left.
Such as…
But I’m a big girl…I can take it.
No need for the defensiveness.
 
40.png
Richardols:
And made way, way more of a return from it. No need to cry for him.

That it didn’t incite anti-semitic violence didn’t mean that there was no reason to fear that it might.
I’d agree with you if you were right.
40.png
Richardols:
Well, when you said “it might not be for you,” silly me thought that “you” meant “you,” that is, me.
I meant it in the global sense and should have said “it may not be for everyone”. I apologize for making it sound as if I were singling you out. It certainly wasn’t my intent.
40.png
Richardols:
No need for self-pitying defensiveness. Such as…No need for the defensiveness.
Give it a rest. No one is self-pitying and no one is defensive. Just weary of the same old tired jabs from the same side of the fence. As I see it, there’s nothing to be “defensive” about. To me it’s clear that we all have different experiences in life that shape our opinions. As long as we can back up our words with logic and common sense, then we’re in good shape. But, to get back on topic, saying that all Catholics who attend Mass and are faithful must have something lurking in their proverbial closet is fantasy. There are many Catholic (and other) people who simply just don’t: step out on their spouse, view computer porn, drink, swing, smoke a doobie once in a while, lie on their 1040, steal pencils at work or park in handicapped parking spots. There are actually lots of people who raise rally nice, responsible kids who don’t get their lips pierced. We exist. It’s just that simple. And that’s my only point.
 
40.png
condan:
I’d agree with you if you were right.
Of course, one can say that to anything anyone says. 🙂
I apologize for making it sound as if I were singling you out. It certainly wasn’t my intent.
Okay.
There are actually lots of people who raise rally nice, responsible kids who don’t get their lips pierced. We exist. It’s just that simple. And that’s my only point.
Sure, I agree.
 
40.png
Richardols:
Of course, one can say that to anything anyone says. 🙂

Okay.

Sure, I agree.
I like a good sport almost as much as I like a good argument.😉
 
40.png
TPJCatholic:
Okay, so you have essentially made your point that I am a stupid person. Thanks. 🙂
As I said, “a person who watchs TV isn’t necessarily a stupid person.” So let me count you as one of those TV viewers who isn’t.
 
My wife and I watch Desperate Housewives each week, without fail, along with 24 on Monday nights. Both shows are appointment TV for us, two over-the-top shows that entertain without being taken too seriously.

I have yet to see any Anti-Catholicism in Desperate Housewives. If anything, it has actually been pro-Catholic. Gabrielle, the selfish spoiled one, is the ultimate example of a Cafeteria Catholic, or at least a “Cultural Catholic.” Yet despite everything in her life that is the very anti-thesis of being a devout Catholic, it is still deep within her.

Two examples are given. First, when she is in the hospital with the priest after her mother-in-law is hit by a car, she confesses to the priest about her extra-marital affair. The priest, who is surprisingly quite orthodox, tells her of how wrong she is and that her immortal soul is in danger! Now is that Anti-Catholic? She does rebuff his advisement, but you can tell that it is eating at her soul.

And second, when she approaches the priest after she learns she is pregnant (and the father may or may not be her husband), he at first expresses delight in seeing her at church. But when she gives him that guilty look, he sighs and says, “Oh Holy Mother of God, what you have done this time, Gabrielle?” Pure Catholicism right there! She then tells the priest about her predicament, and the kind but firm priest once again tells her that a child is indeed a gift from God! She isn’t convinced, but abortion is never mentioned. Lapsed Catholic that Gabrielle is, even she knows that this would be wrong.

Again, I do not see any Anti-Catholicism on this show. If anything, I am looking forward to seeing Gabrielle go to confession some day and start being a happy character for the first time in the show’s run. Being a terribly lapsed Catholic, she is absolutely miserable and yes, desperate.
 
richardols,

If I were you, I would be careful tossing out the word “stupid.”
 
40.png
TPJCatholic:
If I were you, I would be careful tossing out the word “stupid.”
Please read Post #51. I specifically said that TV viewers are not necessarily stupid, and counted you among those who are not.
 
richardols,

I am saying using the word “stupid” towards anyone is not productive, especially since you have no way of knowing if that person is stupid or not. I can easily say that all people who dislike tv are stupid, yet that is a false statement, especially since I do not know.
 
40.png
TPJCatholic:
I can easily say that all people who dislike tv are stupid, yet that is a false statement, especially since I do not know.
Yet, I did not say that. I said that not all persons who watch TV are stupid. It’s not in contradiction to your point.
 
richardols,

You said: “A truly intelligent person simply doesn’t lower his mind to the level needed to “enjoy” that trash.”

It sure seems to me you were making a very global statement. “A truly intelligent…”
 
There is a documentary out there, I believe it is called Hollywood versus Catholicism and it gives NUMEROUS examples of subtle, yet deliberate ways in which the entertainment industry actively seeks to single out devout religious in general and Catholics in particular. It talks about how, in the set up of the scene, EVERY SINGLE DETAIL of the filming is gone over in a painstaking process of deliberation.

In other words, if you see a crucifix in the background or a Bible on the table, or a tattoo of the Madonna, it is because you were MEANT to see it. The documentary actually shies away from the more openly anti-Catholic fare to the more subtle, family-fun oriented stuff. It ends with an impassioned plea by Fr. Mitch Pacwa to let Hollywood know how you feel.

By now, the documentary is kind of dated as Hollywood has revved up its attack on the faith with ever bolder, ever more baseless, ever more classically bigotted depictions of Catholics.

Since watching this documentary, I have taken careful notice in every movie I see of what objects are placed where and who wears what and I come out thoroughly disgusted.
 
I don’t like the desperate housewives show, I won’t even watch it but I remember reading an article in news week stating that they were going to use a anti catholic remark but it was right after the pope died so they changed the lines for that episode, well, how nice of them.

I won’t even watch junk like that. What other shows are anti Catholic? Anybody know? I will just stay away from anything that is anti Catholic, I know, I can’t even watch Jay Leno anymore, he makes too much fun of priests and I get very upset with him. 😦
 
40.png
Richardols:
An intelligent person simply doesn’t lower his mind to the level needed to “enjoy” that trash. It’s all a part of the dumbing down of America.
Well, yes and no. Of course you are right about most TV being trash - at least for the intellectual. And, this is true of most newspapers which are written at the 5th grade level at best, and most movies and most novels such as the Grisham novels and that best seller “The Da Vinci Code.” Then there are stupid outdoor activities like hitting a small ball around a pasture with a club to try to make the ball go in a little hole, or hitting a ball with a club to try to get to run around three bags tied to the ground and ending up on a polyhedron made of heavy plastic, or sitting for hours on the water trying to catch an aquatic creature on a metal hook and being elated a catching a couple of bass after all day on the water or wagering money on the speed or strength of a man or animal or spending money in a casino where only the math-impaired are ignorant of the facts about their odds of winning.

What is the intellectual to do? I must not be one, because I just don’t know how those folks pass their free time. It must be tough!

This lowbrown enjoys fiction, especially “Lost.” I also like “Desperate Housewives” and “CSI Miami.”

However, in fact there is enough excitement here in my neighborhood. Saturday morning the ambulance and about a dozen police cars showed up next door. A little later a teen age girl was carried out on a stretcher – drug ovedose. Who needs TV? Just keep your eyes and ears open.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top