Are Charismatics truly Catholic?

• Thread starter Thread starter Dave_Young
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave Young:
Yes, I have heard that the Church recognizes the charismatic movement as legitimate. I just don’t know why. I have read some history of the Church. I am aware of the references in scripture. Did this disappear for 2000 years, only to reappear in the 1970’s? I mean no disparagement againist anyone who happens to be charismatic. I
The gifts of the Holy Spirit did not by any means disappear for 2000 years. They were very active in many lives of the saints. I think one of the reasons Catholics took to the Charismatic movement is that they discovered that the very gifts which God gave many of the saints of the past could be available for modern day believers.

One of these incidents I found kind of amusing. I was reading a lot about Hildegard of Bingen a while back. She was an 11th century nun, abbess, writer, and a lot more. Anyway, historians don’t know what to make of something she did. They say she apparently made up her own language of at lest 900 words and then made up her own grammar and syntax manual to go along with it.

My opinion is that she received the gift of tongues and being an extremely systematic and observant person she decided to write it down as it came and then through further observation of what she had written decided to systematize it. It is not recorded that that is what she actually did. She didn’t talk about what she did, she just did it.

If you read lives of the saints they almost always involved many spiritual gifts (charismata). The Saint Catherine of Siena Institute in Seattle, Washington is a good resource to find out more. You can even take their spiritual gifts inventory, to find out which gifts you have. They hav 24 in their inventory but acknowledge that there may be many more since God’s gifts and goodness are illimitable.

www.siena.org

40.png
beng:
Do you understand what you’re saying?

Have you ever pray to interpret it?

Have your tongues been interpreted?

Did you speak it in front of believer without interpretation? (if you do, then it’s probably a fake)

That is why if there’s no one who interpreted it, one better not speak tongue at all (1 cor 14:27:28).

I would question your tongue if in a prayer group you start doing your tonegue when there’s no one who could interpret it.

“Masha Allah” or maybe “Masya Allah” just means “Dear God.” Muslems say this when they saw something disheartening. For example, you tell a Moslem woman that your husband just beat you. The Moslem woman would say “Masha Allah”

In my observation differnt Charismatic group have differnt word. Such as if someone is a “graduate” from a certian charismatic group then his “tongue” will resamble that group. I have observed this thing. This further proves the fake-ness.

This would be jubilation chanting. Not tongues. So, sorry, you probably don’t have the gift of tongue. But you may continue doing jubilation chanting but be careful of Mat 6:7.

And if one doesn’t know what to say to God then simply go for simple prayer like Glory Be, Our Father or Hail Mary. The Holy Spirit knows your heart.
Beng,
youre speaking from observation…im speaking from experience…there’s a difference. Im not trying to put you down or anything…but I would ask you not to judge without the experience…
I didnt “graduate” from any charismatic school…I got this gift when I was all alone in my bedroom…!
And in any case, how can you say my gift is a fake? And how do you know that it would be “jubilation chanting” when youve never heard it?
You dont speak in tongues.There is nothing like a recorded version of tongues the RCC has authorised which you can compare anyones tongues against. How will you know when you hear the real tongues??

Ive answered your post on the other thread also…I hope you drop your prejudices, stop trying to “observe” it and ask the Lord for an experience of it…doesnt mean that you have “any less holy Spirit” right now…hope you understand what Im trying to say.

Blessings,
Leo

40.png
epiphania:
Beng,
youre speaking from observation…im speaking from experience…there’s a difference. Im not trying to put you down or anything…but I would ask you not to judge without the experience…
Is this a typical Charismaticist reply?

I observe, witness and experince Charismaticism PERIOD!
I didnt “graduate” from any charismatic school…I got this gift when I was all alone in my bedroom…!
I wasn’t talking about you.
And in any case, how can you say my gift is a fake?
Apply my test.
And how do you know that it would be “jubilation chanting” when youve never heard it?
Heh? You’ve never know of jubilationn chanting? Gregorian Chant is a form of jubilation chanting, a beautiful one at that. There are many type of such.
You dont speak in tongues.There is nothing like a recorded version of tongues the RCC has authorised which you can compare anyones tongues against. How will you know when you hear the real tongues??
I don’t need to hear it. Just apply the test.
Ive answered your post on the other thread also…I hope you drop your prejudices, stop trying to “observe” it and ask the Lord for an experience of it…doesnt mean that you have “any less holy Spirit” right now…hope you understand what Im trying to say.
Blessings,
Leo
It is not a prejudice. It is a biblical facts. It’s in the Bible (Am I sounding Protestant? LOL)

Beng, do you think the Holy Father and all the Priests and Bishops, who allow this speaking of tongues in their parishes. are leading their people astray by not putting this test to everyone?

God bless you

It is not a prejudice. It is a biblical facts. It’s in the Bible (Am I sounding Protestant? LOL)
Im glad youre using the bible so much…but just be open enough to recognise there are others who use it too…
Im not talking just from experience…Ive been with the Bible the past 10 years…Ive worked with charismatics,prayed with them and yes,“observed” them too…
your “test” doesnt hold too well since its out of context…Ive already explained it to you but you refuse to listen…
I guess there is nothing to convince you…I just ask you to be open…
I picked up the Bible and started using it seriously only after a charismatic experience…I know of a number of other who have done so too…the tree is known by the fruit? theres a lot of good fruit that has come from this…and here’s what the pope has to say:

Code: ZE02111005. Date: 2002-11-10.
“Charismatic Renewal Is Sign of Hope”, Says Pope

“Charismatic Renewal Is Gift of Spirit to Church”, Pope Says

“Charismatic groups play important role in evangelization”, pope says

…the Charismatic Renewal is “a powerful witness to the anchor of truth which the world so needs,” the pope said.

Today I wouldnt like to call myself a “charismatic” as much as I would just a catholic…for its not something extra…its something that should always be there…more of a lifestyle…

See you later…got to go…hope you take time to think about this…
Blessings,
Leo

40.png
MIDGIE:
Beng, do you think the Holy Father and all the Priests and Bishops, who allow this speaking of tongues in their parishes. are leading their people astray by not putting this test to everyone?

God bless you
They porbably don’t put much thoguht into it. During the peak of Arian Heresy 80% of Bishops believe in Arianism.

However, me and many other (as shown here) realize the danger of fake tongues in charismaticism (along with sugar coated sermon, “slain in the spirit”, “Baptism of the Holy Spirit”, etc). And we are here educating people about the error of this practice.

40.png
epiphania:
Im glad youre using the bible so much…but just be open enough to recognise there are others who use it too…
And that’s why you should see the obvious.
Im not talking just from experience…Ive been with the Bible the past 10 years…Ive worked with charismatics,prayed with them and yes,“observed” them too…
your “test” doesnt hold too well since its out of context…Ive already explained it to you but you refuse to listen…
I guess there is nothing to convince you…I just ask you to be open…
Sorry, the test is biblical.

It’s in the proper context (you haven’t prove anything that it’s out of context)

Charismaticist are too afraid that they might come to realize that their tongues are fake.
I picked up the Bible and started using it seriously only after a charismatic experience…I know of a number of other who have done so too…the tree is known by the fruit?
Millions of people have used the Bible before the whole neo-Charismatic frenzy with it’s tongue.

The fruits? well aren’t the fruits those fake tongues that doesn’t hold up to the test?
theres a lot of good fruit that has come from this…and here’s what the pope has to say:
Code: ZE02111005. Date: 2002-11-10.
“Charismatic Renewal Is Sign of Hope”, Says Pope
“Charismatic Renewal Is Gift of Spirit to Church”, Pope Says
“Charismatic groups play important role in evangelization”, pope says
…the Charismatic Renewal is “a powerful witness to the anchor of truth which the world so needs,” the pope said.
Today I wouldnt like to call myself a “charismatic” as much as I would just a catholic…for its not something extra…its something that should always be there…more of a lifestyle…
See you later…got to go…hope you take time to think about this…
Blessings,
Leo
I think I already adress the Pope Audience.

The Pope says good thing about a lot of thing. He’s just being fatherly. He even said good thing about Dalai Lama, alltough we all know how wrong Budhism is.

The FAD i’m talking about is the FAKE TONGUE. I believe that there are real tongue even today (only 1%)
Beng, this is not what you said earlier (my underlining) …
I don’t think Charismatic is recognized or approved or anything. It’s just a movement. There are a lot of important problem. The Church wouldn’t bother to recognized every movement.
Charismatic is a fad. It’ll die down.
Hopefully this fad would end. All the silly tongue, waving hands, clapping, sugar coated prayer ala Protestantism, Michael W. Smith’s songs etc
Do you think just because I don’t buy the whole Charismatic fad then I haven’t submit myself to the power of the Holy Spirit?
You were referring to the whole charismatic movement, not just the “Fake Tongue” thing. If you originally meant just the tongue issue, please try to be clearer next time so as to avoid all this confusion.

Another question came to my mind … Paul is addressing the church at Corinth, to correct some problems and “show (them) a still more excellent way” (1 Cor 12:31b) and most of chapter 14 is about the use of tongues in the church. What does Paul not call it “Fake Tongues”? It was obviously happening, the dis-order and dis-organization.

The reason is, IMHO, that the tongues Paul was addressing were NOT fake, only used inappropriately. Thus, beng, your “challenge” is not valid. Paul never goes so far as to even imply that they were faking it, or that it was not “tongues”, but just some babbling. Paul addresses it as tongues.

40.png
CatholicGeek:
Beng, this is not what you said earlier (my underlining) …
referring to the whole charismatic movement, not just the “Fake Tongue” thing. If you originally meant just the tongue issue, please try to be clearer next time so as to avoid all this confusion.
Actually it’s like this (I’ll arrange my thought)

Since MOST of Charismaticism have issue then maybe I do hope that NEO Charismatic FAD will die down.

By Neo Charismatic I would mean:
  1. Fake tongue and too much empahsize in tongue
  2. Laying hands
  3. Sugar coated sermons
  4. Baptism in the Holy Spirit <— Heretical
  5. Slain in the spirit <— ridiculousnes with Protestant flavour.
I think if we strip current Charismaticism from those, it seems that there’s nothing much more. It would be just your usual prayer group.

I suggest to radically change charismaticism and maybe come up with a different name… like… confirmaticism (weird, but you get the idea).
Another question came to my mind … Paul is addressing the church at Corinth, to correct some problems and “show (them) a still more excellent way” (1 Cor 12:31b) and most of chapter 14 is about the use of tongues in the church. What does Paul not call it “Fake Tongues”?
It was obviously happening, the dis-order and dis-organization.

The reason is, IMHO, that the tongues Paul was addressing were NOT fake, only used inappropriately. Thus, beng, your “challenge” is not valid. Paul never goes so far as to even imply that they were faking it, or that it was not “tongues”, but just some babbling. Paul addresses it as tongues.
It is fake, disorderly, not edifying, scandalous, source of schims etc etc

Entry on “Tongue” on new advent

Corinthian Abuses (I Corinthians 14 passim).—Medieval and modern writers wrongly take it for granted that the charism existed permanently at Corinth—as it did nowhere else—and that St. Paul, in commending the gift to the Corinthians, therewith gave his guaranty that the characteristics of Corinthian glossolaly were those of the gift itself. Traditional writers in overlooking this point place St. Luke at variance with St. Paul, and attribute to the charism properties so contrary as to make it inexplicable and prohibitively mysterious. There is enough in St. Paul to show us that the Corinthian peculiarities were ignoble accretions and abuses. They made of “tongues” a source of schism in the Church and of scandal without (14:23). The charism had deteriorated into a mixture of meaningless inarticulate gabble (9, 10) with an element of uncertain sounds (7, 8), which sometimes might be construed as little short of blasphemous (12:3). The Divine praises were recognized now and then, but the general effect was one of confusion and disedification for the very unbelievers for whom the normal gift was intended (14:22, 23, 26). The Corinthians, misled not by insincerity but by simplicity and ignorance (20), were actuated by an undisciplined religious spirit (pneuma), or rather by frenzied emotions and not by the understanding (nous) of the Spirit of God (15). What today purports to be the “gift of tongues” at certain Protestant revivals is a fair reproduction of Corinthian glossolaly, and shows the need there was in the primitive Church of the Apostle’s counsel to do all things “decently, and according to order” (40).

40.png
CatholicGeek:
I thought it would be interesting to see where people currently stand on this issue, after reading these posts. The poll closes on June 4th, so feel free to weigh in now or wait for a while.

NEW POLL: In your opinion, which is most true of the Charismatic renewal?

The only allowed seven choices, or I would have put in more to give more expression to peoples opinions.

God Bless!
**The Charismatic renewal is NOT a movement of God, and it is drawing people away from a richer faith life. **

40.png
SwissGuard:
I’ve been to several charismatic Masses, but I still can’t decide whether I like it or not. On the one hand, I have heard many of my Protestant friends say that one of their main problems with the Catholic Church is that it doesn’t have worship that is “alive” enough for them, but on the other hand, I think there is a fine line between being “charismatic” and unnecessary. If it has indeed been okayed by Rome then I’m not against it, but as of right now I still prefer traditional Masses.
I’ve been to only one Church that had a Charisimatic Mass, and what I experienced was very devout, touching and quite fullfilling. I have not been to any other Charismatic Mass except the ones I went to at that Church so I’m not sure what you have experienced.

What I expreienced was a very indepth unity in the body of Christ with everyone gathered together to Celebrate the Mass. Feeling the pressence of Christ with us unified as His body. The same thing I feel when I accept Him in communion, yet this was much stronger and lasted the entire Mass. There was a reverence that I (who have attended Pentecostal churches) never felt or seen anywhere else before. I can tell you the Charismatic Mass I’ve attended were nothing like I’ve seen in any of the protostant churches I’ve attended. I would say because it is definately Catholic, like me. 🙂

40.png
beng:
They claim that they are speaking tongues. In fact they call the session praying in tongues.

The probelm is, it most likely not the gift of tongues but just balbbaring like 99% of Charismatic tongues out there.

If they pray to God in tongue then they better do it privately and not in a prayer group as warned by Paul. There’s no one but believers there.

I’ve heard some “tongues” at Mass. Not sure. And even in prayer group. It’s wrong as Paul has warned.
After I receive communion sometimes I feel moved to quietly pray in tongues. It is quiet and I’m pretty sure no-one even in earshot would know. I do not pray in tongues for those around me so to speak I do it in communion with Christ and His body.
But this is just a small portion of being a “Charisimatic Catholic”, I would think a thread about the gift of tongues more appropriate.

Seeing how I’ve just started posting here, there possibly could be one, and I’ve just not seen it yet.

Limited Quotes from …
**A Pastoral Statement on the Catholic Charismatic Renewal **

A Statement of the Bishops’ Liaison Committee with the Catholic Charismatic Renewal

*March 1984 *
*Approved by the Administrative Committee National Conference of Catholic Bishops *
  1. As a movement within the Church, the charismatic renewal is rooted in the witness of the gospel tradition: Jesus is Lord by the power of the Spirit to the glory of the Father. …
  2. … Since our statements about the charismatic renewal in 1969 and 1975, we note with joy that two popes have spoken encouragingly about it. Pope Paul VI said: “How would it be possible that this ‘spiritual renewal’ not be a change for the Church and the world?” (address of May 19, 1975). Pope John Paul II said that he sees the future of the Church lying in spiritual renewal movements and groups. Speaking specifically to the charismatic renewal, he said he made his own the words of St. Paul to the Philippians: “I give thanks to God every time I think of you” (Phil 1:3) …
  3. … Clearly the charismatic renewal is in and for the Church, not alongside the Church. It has repeatedly shown its commitment to the Church, asking the bishops and the Pope for pastoral guidance, and supporting them by their prayers.
  4. Past statements of the United States bishops’ committees, as well as statements of Pope Paul VI and Pope John Paul II, have commended the Catholic Charismatic renewal for the fruit of holiness and good works born in the lives of those who become involved in this movement. These people say the transformation in their lives is a result of repentance, turning to Jesus Christ and receiving an influx of the Holy Spirit. They generally term this experience of the Holy Spirit being baptized in the Holy Spirit, and say it usually results in the receiving of such spiritual gifts as prayer in tongues, prophecy and healing. In fact it must be recognized that these spiritual realities do occur in the Catholic charismatic renewal, however they may be labeled or theologically analyzed. As the United States Bishops’ Committee on Doctrine observed in 1969, “It would be difficult to inhibit the working of the Spirit which manifested itself so abundantly in the early Church.” We should be grateful to God for pouring out in our time those gifts and graces with which he blessed the Church at its very beginning.
  5. In the charismatic renewal, the charisms have had, and will continue to have, and important role. As it matures, this movement sees the charisms not as isolated gifts given to certain individuals, but rather as gifts for the community. The community is seen as entirely ministerial (1 Cor 12), with no members who are merely ministered to. Every member is called to build up the Body of Christ through the particular charism which he or she has received. Thus the community constitutes a web of mutually supporting ministries (1 Cor 12). New appreciation of the role of the prophetic charisms does not signal undue attention to what is peripheral. Rather, it represents due attention to what is foundational. Speaking of the apostles and New Testament prophets, St. Paul refers to the Church as “built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone” (Eph 2:20). It is recognized that all charisms are not equally important; on the contrary, their dignity is determined by how immediately they are related to the common good of the body. The gifts are charisms of ministry and are not to be confused with ecclesiastical office. Nor is their exercise to be seen as expressing only emotional content.
  6. Large numbers have benefited from Life in the Spirit seminars and other formation programs which are regularly offered in most charismatic groups. We would encourage those who present programs for a fuller life in the Spirit not to be discouraged but to persist in the apostolic ministry, even though many who have been through these seminars, whose lives have been touched and change, do not remain in formal contact with the charismatic renewal. Seeds have been sown and lives have been redirected. Many are thus enabled to serve the Church and pursue the full Christian life in the Church. These instructional programs are very helpful in the preparation for the sacraments of initiation where the young discover with a sense of expectancy the meaning of a full life in the Spirit, and adults, some for the first time, experience the joy of living out their sacramental commitments.
The full statement can be obtained from the USCCB at usccb.org/publishing/bishops.htm

40.png
beng:
“These signs are necessary because they have to convert the unbelievers (which is why tongues would be usefull). Hardly the case nowadays where about 50% of the world are Christian.”
and therefore 50% are not.

Beng, just because some people don’t agree with you doesn’t mean they can’t read. The bold red thing is a tad overdone now. You don’t have to have the last word on this, really.
Can you give it a miss; it’s hurting my eyes.

Also, the scathing approach regarding Charismatics and Protestants doesn’t go down so well with some of us Protestant on the way to Catholic kinda charismatic people. It’s not always what you say but the way you say it. May be if you could just give it a little sugar-coating…

40.png
beng:
You make a case for Numbers and then go to Acts?

I don’t get it.
Numbers passage refers to Moses wishing that all people would be filled with the holy spirit, and that happens at Pentecost.
These signs are necessary because they have to convert the unbelievers (which is why tongues would be usefull). Hardly the case nowadays where about 50% of the world are Christian.
But scripture does not say that gift is less necessary. Augustine is not the bible or the Church. In addition, 1 Cor 13:1 suggests there are ‘angelic tongues’, not only human tongues.
Umm, all those verses were for the time of the Apostles. Where signs are necessary
But where in the Bible, or the Church authoritatively say the tongues would be less necessary now??

The gifts include things like serving, prophesying, teaching, encouraing, contributing, giving, leadership, governing, showing mercy (Rom 12:6-8), administration, miracle working, healing, tongues (1 Cor 12:28), pastoring, works of service, and evangelizing (Eph 4:11-13). And all of these gifts exist to raise up the church into maturity (Eph 4:12-13)

Having said that, I don’t understand why the gift of tongues would be less necessary.
St Augustine is talking about tongues which is the easily abused and hard to detect its authenticity.
Which is why the gift of interpretation exists! (1 Cor 12:10, 1 Cor 14:5). In addition, lots of other gifts are abused, like all the clergy abuse… unfortunately… 😦
Really, seing that God picked Paul actually proves that one need wisdom. Paul is by far the most effective Apostle than the other because HE WAS SMART AND EDUCATED!
It’s certainly true that he was smart and educated but a closer look at the passage reveals the following:

1 Cor 2:4-5 - “And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith should NOT be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.”

It wasn’t his own human efforts (through persuasive human wisdom) that brought about conversions, it was God’s power: Demonstration of it. This appears to relate with congregational prophesying where some would repent and fear God (1 Cor 14:24-25). It also appears to relate with Mark 16:17-18.

And I guess one practical way to demonstrate it is by bringing people to Mass: The greatest miracle is heaven coming down on earth 🙂
It’s incorrect to seperate wisdom and Holy Spirit, since Holy Spirit gives wisdom. Not always in a sense that dumb people could be made wise (altho this had happened) but mostly an educated people is chosen to effectively preach the Gospel. We have people like Justin Martyr, Origen, Augustine and even Thomas Aquinas.
Indeed, they probably had the gift of teaching, preaching, etc.
And about Paul command that all individual to desire them, well, someone already brought that up. And my answer is, if you read the complete verse you sould see that he mentioned it in a rhetoric way not a direct encouragement.
St. Paul’s words are very clear. It’s a command:

But eagerly desire the greater gifts. And now I will show you the most excellent way. (1 Cor 12:31)

And the excellent way is explained throughout chapter 13 (in the context of love) and in the next chapter he says:

“Therefore, my brothers, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues.” (1 Cor 14:39)

The passage suggests some Corinthians may’ve been forbidding people from using the gift of tongues because it probably looks really bizarre. Yet he says to not forbid it.

The gift of prophecy does three things: It strengthens, encourages and comforts. (1 Cor 14:3) Similarly, tongues enables a believer to edify himself (1 Cor 14:4). If this gift is less necessary, then the believer has one less means of edifying himself.

In the beginning of the chapter St. Paul says:

Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy.” (1 Cor 14:1)

So if ‘eagerly desire spiritual gifts’ isn’t a command, then I guess ‘follow the way of love’ isn’t a command either.

Beng says: “The Charismatic renewal is NOT a movement of God, and it is drawing people away from a richer faith life.”

The Pope and Bishops say it IS a movement of God.

Has this movement built up the Church in any way? I don’t have any knowledge of the Charismatic Movement other than from what I experienced at my childhood Church in Boston, MA, The Basilica of Our Lady of Perpetual Help (Mission Church.) Even though I had moved away from the Church, I always returned to visit. This beautiful Basilica was in a really run down neighborhood after the majority of Catholics had moved to the suburbs and it was falling into disrepair. Then one of the Priests there, Fr. McDonough, received the Gift of Healing. People then began attending the Church again in droves and they came from all areas of the country. They’d come by the busloads and would pack this huge Church till there was standing room only. I don’t know if it is still that way today because I’ve not been back in some time since I’ve moved out of the state. I was quite impressed when I was there to see the Life brought back into this Church single-handedly through the Priest blessed with the Gift of Healing. People prayed and sang in tongues at his services, which at first sounded like birds to me, but the look on their faces when they were praying and singing was a look of holiness. Their faces looked so angelic as they sang and prayed to God. They certainly didn’t look like they were drawn “away” from a deeper life in Christ, but they looked like they were in direct communion with Him.

I’d say the Charismatic Movement not only brought the Life of the Spirit back into this Church, but it also saved it from disrepair, etc., from the support it received from the Charismatics. I was so glad that not one Priest from this Church was exposed in Boston for pedophilia. I attended 12 years of parochial school at Mission Church and received all my Sacraments there, so was very happy to see God bless this Church as He did.

Is anyone here from Boston? If so, how is Fr. McDonough?

Maybe others here will add to how they’ve witnessed the Charismatic Movement build up the Churches in their areas?

God bless

40.png
MIDGIE:
Beng says: “The Charismatic renewal is NOT a movement of God, and it is drawing people away from a richer faith life.”

The Pope and Bishops say it IS a movement of God.

Has this movement built up the Church in any way? I don’t have any knowledge of the Charismatic Movement other than from what I experienced at my childhood Church in Boston, MA, The Basilica of Our Lady of Perpetual Help (Mission Church.) Even though I had moved away from the Church, I always returned to visit. This beautiful Basilica was in a really run down neighborhood after the majority of Catholics had moved to the suburbs and it was falling into disrepair. Then one of the Priests there, Fr. McDonough, received the Gift of Healing. People then began attending the Church again in droves and they came from all areas of the country. They’d come by the busloads and would pack this huge Church till there was standing room only. I don’t know if it is still that way today because I’ve not been back in some time since I’ve moved out of the state. I was quite impressed when I was there to see the Life brought back into this Church single-handedly through the Priest blessed with the Gift of Healing. People prayed and sang in tongues at his services, which at first sounded like birds to me, but the look on their faces when they were praying and singing was a look of holiness. Their faces looked so angelic as they sang and prayed to God. They certainly didn’t look like they were drawn “away” from a deeper life in Christ, but they looked like they were in direct communion with Him.

I’d say the Charismatic Movement not only brought the Life of the Spirit back into this Church, but it also saved it from disrepair, etc., from the support it received from the Charismatics. I was so glad that not one Priest from this Church was exposed in Boston for pedophilia. I attended 12 years of parochial school at Mission Church and received all my Sacraments there, so was very happy to see God bless this Church as He did.

Is anyone here from Boston? If so, how is Fr. McDonough?

Maybe others here will add to how they’ve witnessed the Charismatic Movement build up the Churches in their areas?

God bless
MIDGE I can remember many times going up to mission hill to attend father mcdonoughs services. It was always jammed packed… What a move of the Holy Spirit… I also went many times to see father Babbit in Attleboro who had apowerful healing ministry. Also father randle in providence ri. I thank God for these charasmatic priests. I thank God they were open to His Spirit. 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back