Are we saved by baptism alone?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ad_Orientem
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since there are two senses of salvation at different moments there is more than one answer.
I’m sorry, but I don’t understand these two senses. It is possible that I am in a state of Grace right now, but might not be in the future (if I commit mortal sin). This does not constitute two “senses of salvation” (indeed, they are opposites).
So by baptism alone without later mortal sin.
That’s not a complete sentence, because it lacks a predicate. I don’t understand what you mean.
And with additional works, through actual graces, if there was mortal sin after baptism:
I REALLY don’t understand this. The ONLY thing that is guaranteed to absolve mortal sin after Baptism is Sacramental Confession. NOT works (“additional” or otherwise).

The Catholic Church absolutely and invariably teaches that our salvation is guaranteed by Christian Baptism, and by nothing else. The Church teaches that this Baptismal Grace can be lost due to mortal sin, but can be (easily) recovered by Sacramental Confession.

The Church absolutely does not teach, in any way whatsoever, that our individual salvation is contingent, in any way, of our personal performance of any “good work” whatsoever.
 
I’m sorry, but I don’t understand these two senses. It is possible that I am in a state of Grace right now, but might not be in the future (if I commit mortal sin). This does not constitute two “senses of salvation” (indeed, they are opposites).

That’s not a complete sentence, because it lacks a predicate. I don’t understand what you mean.

I REALLY don’t understand this. The ONLY thing that is guaranteed to absolve mortal sin after Baptism is Sacramental Confession. NOT works (“additional” or otherwise).

The Catholic Church absolutely and invariably teaches that our salvation is guaranteed by Christian Baptism, and by nothing else. The Church teaches that this Baptismal Grace can be lost due to mortal sin, but can be (easily) recovered by Sacramental Confession.

The Church absolutely does not teach, in any way whatsoever, that our individual salvation is contingent, in any way, of our personal performance of any “good work” whatsoever.
The two senses correspond to two situations that are salvic:
  • at the time of baptism
  • post baptism, after loss of sanctifying grace.
“So [the two senses are] by baptism alone ,] without later mortal sin. And with additional works, through actual graces, if there was mortal sin after baptism: …”

You can easily understand works from what I posted (“works of conversion and repentence”). If mortal sin occurs, then man must repent, which is a work, but even this comes through actual graces. It does require cooperation with the Holy Spirit to repent, and that reconciliation is an act of free will.

Homily of St. Pope John Paul II (1993):
God repeatedly called sinful man to works of conversion and repentance, just as through Isaiah, who speaks to us in today’s liturgy: “Break unjust fetters… share your bread with the hungry, and shelter the homeless poor; …clothe the man you see naked, and do not turn from your own kin” (Is. 58: 6-7).

vatican.va/holy_father/jo…soroti_en.html
 
Hi David -
I don’t claim that works are not an important part of Christian life (because that would be a really stupid thing to say). I only maintain that no Christian is ever required, as a matter of his salvation, to perform any good work. As long as a Baptized Christian avoids (or Confesses) any mortal sin, s/he will be saved.
Why does this feel like Deja Vu? 😉
It’s possible that the failure to perform a work might constitute mortal sin (ie, a sin of omission), given sufficient knowledge and intent. But, had we done the work, it would not have contributed to our salvation (because we were already saved, and you can’t be “more saved”). Works cannot add anything to the person who is already in a state of Grace (nor can they restore someone who is not), but omission of works could possibly remove us from this state.
Look at the bolded phrases above. You switched from, to paraphrase, “never required *as a matter of *salvation” to works do not “contribute to” salvation. Those are two different statements in my opinion. Works are generally required as a matter of salvation in maintaining the state of grace.
Again, I am not saying works are inconsequential. They certainly help predispose us to living as good Christians, thereby reducing occasions for falling into mortal sin. But “helpful” and “necessary” are not the same thing.
You continue to equivocate. For virtually anyone who attains the age of reason, there will be at least one situation in which they are required to act and which failure to do so is a mortal sin.
And, by the way, we haven’t even touched on the issue of whether everyone’s experience of eternity is equal or whether those who live a more virtuous mortal life reap a proportionately greater eternal life.

Blessings

Phil
 
It is Catholic teaching that we are saved by grace alone.

They key thing is to die in the state of grace.
That we can lose the state of grace by mortal sin, including mortal sins of omission still does not negate this fact. But no acts are salutary unless we are in the state of grace, so the state of grace is the key requirement. And we ordinarily enter the state of grace through Baptism.
As I am a new member I feel I should introduce myself briefly.
I would call myself a Non-Denominational Christian.
My wife is a Catholic (Latin Rite), and I have been encouraged by her, to study Catholic Teaching.
I have also studied other religions and their teachings, but I found the Catholic Church has many good doctrines. I often attend mass and also other Catholic social events with my wife, and have developed a good relationship within the Catholic community.

I would like to offer my view on your post Porthos.
Yes “The key thing is to die in the state of grace”. I agree.
“We can lose the state of grace by mortal sin,…” I wish to clarify.

In my opinion in the light of official Catholic teachings, we have to be clear about the above part of the sentence, because:
If we have God’s “Great and Special Gift of Final Perseverance,” we are protected from to commit even one mortal sin, so we will never lose our State of Grace; or if we do not have God’s “Great and Special Gift of Final Perseverance” we will commit mortal sins, and lose our State of Grace.
  1. Quote: St. Thomas Aquinas, In his Summa Theologiae he wrote:
    [P]erseverance is called he abiding in good to the end of life.
    And in order to have this perseverance man . . . needs the divine assistance guiding him and guarding him against the attacks of the passions . . .
    And hence after anyone has been justified by grace, he still needs to beseech God for the aforesaid gift of perseverance, that he may be kept from evil till the end of his life (ST IIa:109:10)
This same teaching was infallibly taught by the Council of Trent after the Protestant Reformation.
  1. Quote: Trent’s Decree of Justification, canon 16, speaks of “That Great and Special Gift of Final Perseverance,” and chapter 13 of the decree speaks of “the gift of perseverance of which it is written:
    ‘He who perseveres to the end shall be saved [Matt. 10:22, 24:13],’
    Which cannot be obtained from anyone except from Him who is able to make him who stands to stand [Rom. 14:4].” End quote
  2. Scripture Catholic by John Salza. (Well known Catholic Author and Apologist.)
    III. Predestination and the “Elect”
    Quote: “There are two types of predestination, grace (initial salvation) and to glory (final salvation). … Predestination is either to grace (initial salvation) which we could lose or to glory (final salvation) which we cannot lose. …
    1 Tim.2:6 – Jesus Christ gave Himself as a ransom for all not just for the elect. But only those predestined to glory (final salvation) will be saved.”
    End quote. (In the brackets is mine.)
  3. Catholic Encyclopedia. The predestination of the elect.
    Quote: “Consequently, the whole future membership of heaven, down to its minutest details, has been irrevocably fixed from all eternity.
    Nor could it be otherwise. For if it were possible that a predestined individual should after all be cast into hell or that one not predestined should in the end reach heaven, then God would have been mistaken in his foreknowledge of future events; He would no longer be omniscient.” End quote.
As we see above, if we are among God’s elects to heaven (predestined to glory), in Catholic theology officially called “Predestination to final salvation”:
We are protected by God’s “Great and Special Gift of Final Perseverance”. As the result of God’s protection; we do not commit even one mortal sin.
For us it is impossible to die outside the state of grace.

In Catholic teaching there is another predestination officially called “Predestination to initial salvation” (predestination to grace).
If we are among those who are ‘Predestined to initial salvation/grace,” we commit mortal sins and we can restore our state of grace with Sacramental Confession.
Finally (the reason of our neglects) we all lose our salvation.
“Only those predestined to glory (final salvation) will be saved.” (J Salza ‘Scripture Catholic’.)

We can logically conclude;

If we are among the elects to Heaven. Predestined to ‘Final salvation/glory’, we do not commit even one mortal sin; because if we would/could commit even one mortal sin, then it could happen that we could die between committing a mortal sin and Sacramental Confession to restore our Baptismal Grace and we would end up in hell, which is an absolute impossibility.

In fact we don’t even have to rely on our logic. Because the Catholic Church formally teaches: God’s “Great and Special Gift of final Perseverance.”
Aquines and even Molina said; “This grace ALWAYS ensures that a person will persevere. MOST CERTAINTLY and INFALLIBLY takes effect”.

This special grace is a Divine assistance, an infallible protection to keep the recipients from evil till the end of their life, and ensures them to die in the state of grace.
According to Church teaching only those who are the elects to Heaven, predestined to “Final salvation/glory” are the recipients of God’s “Great and Special Gift of Final Perseverance.”

The Catholic Church does not teach that Catholics cannot know that they are among the recipients of God’s “Great and Special Gift of Final Perseverance,” which is an absolute guarantee that they cannot lose their salvation.

God Bless.
 
I always viewed being saved as a process and not a single event. Yes, that single event is needed, but it is a lifelong process that you must keep up with.
 
Why does this feel like Deja Vu?)
Yeah, well, it comes up a lot.
Look at the bolded phrases above. You switched from, to paraphrase, “never required *as a matter of *salvation” to works do not “contribute to” salvation. Those are two different statements in my opinion.
They might be different, but only in degree. Works are neither required, nor do they contribute to our salvation.
Works are generally required as a matter of salvation in maintaining the state of grace
Yeah, well, you’re gonna have to cite that. To my mind, that’s awfully close to heresy.
For virtually anyone who attains the age of reason, there will be at least one situation in which they are required to act and which failure to do so is a mortal sin. [emphasis mine]
We both know you can’t cite that. But, as it just so happens, I’m running another thread to discuss this. I claim that an ordinary person living in a modern Western society is unlikely to encounter a situation in which failure to act (to perform an act of charity) could constitute mortal sin. I’m not aware of ever encountering such a situation myself, and I’m having a hard time even imagining one (I can think of bizarre examples, but not ones that I would expect to encounter)… I’ve asked for examples of such acts - please feel free to suggest something. The thread has been sitting out there for three days with no examples (so far) of charitable acts which would require action.
And, by the way, we haven’t even touched on the issue of whether everyone’s experience of eternity is equal or whether those who live a more virtuous mortal life reap a proportionately greater eternal life.
That has been discussed in other threads. I was trying to keep this one on-topic. I certainly recognize that our experience of the afterlife will be impacted by our current life, but that’s not what this thread is about.
 
You can easily understand works from what I posted (“works of conversion and repentence”). If mortal sin occurs, then man must repent, which is a work, but even this comes through actual graces.
OK, if you are saying that obtaining Baptism and (in the event of mortal sin), repentance and attending Confession are “works” then, yes, I agree that works are necessary (but only those particular three “works”).

That is not what most people have in mind when they talk about works in relation to salvation (and it is certainly not what protestants accuse us of believing). The usual sense of the word would describe an act of charity - something done on behalf of someone else, not done on behalf of ourselves for our own gain.
 
Baptism is a supernatural infused virtue of Grace=Faith which we have a responsibility to maintain. Faith can be lost.
Faith and Baptism
1253 Baptism is the sacrament of faith. But faith needs the community of believers. It is only within the faith of the Church that each of the faithful can believe. The faith required for Baptism is not a perfect and mature faith, but a beginning that is called to develop. The catechumen or the godparent is asked: “What do you ask of God’s Church?” The response is: “Faith!”
 
OK, if you are saying that obtaining Baptism and (in the event of mortal sin), repentance and attending Confession are “works” then, yes, I agree that works are necessary (but only those particular three “works”).

That is not what most people have in mind when they talk about works in relation to salvation (and it is certainly not what protestants accuse us of believing). The usual sense of the word would describe an act of charity - something done on behalf of someone else, not done on behalf of ourselves for our own gain.
I supposed it isn’t. That is odd though, because there are in general indulgenced works which are of four kinds: prayer, acts of charity, freely abstaining in a spirit of penance, and giving open witness of our faith.1439 The process of conversion and repentance was described by Jesus in the parable of the prodigal son, the center of which is the merciful father:37 the fascination of illusory freedom, the abandonment of the father’s house; the extreme misery in which the son finds himself after squandering his fortune; his deep humiliation at finding himself obliged to feed swine, and still worse, at wanting to feed on the husks the pigs ate; his reflection on all he has lost; his repentance and decision to declare himself guilty before his father; the journey back; the father’s generous welcome; the father’s joy - all these are characteristic of the process of conversion. The beautiful robe, the ring, and the festive banquet are symbols of that new life - pure worthy, and joyful - of anyone who returns to God and to the bosom of his family, which is the Church. Only the heart Of Christ Who knows the depths of his Father’s love could reveal to us the abyss of his mercy in so simple and beautiful a way.
37 Cf. Lk 15:11-24.
He stopped his riotous behavior and confessed his sins with the willingness to assume the role of a servant.13 And not many days after, the younger son, gathering all together, went abroad into a far country: and there wasted his substance, living riotously. …
18 I will arise, and will go to my father, and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee:
19 I am not worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants.
20 And rising up he came to his father. And when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and was moved with compassion, and running to him fell upon his neck, and kissed him. 21 And the son said to him:Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee, I am not now worthy to be called thy son.

Mathew 25
45 Then he shall answer them, saying: Amen I say to you, as long as you did it not to one of these least, neither did you do it to me.
46 And these shall go into everlasting punishment: but the just, into life everlasting.
​
 
Actions matter and the social teaching of Matthew above is exemplified in “Love your neighbor” That is charity and action, and required.
1692 The Symbol of the faith confesses the greatness of God’s gifts to man in his work of creation, and even more in redemption and sanctification. What faith confesses, the sacraments communicate: by the sacraments of rebirth, Christians have become "children of God,"2 "partakers of the divine nature."3 Coming to see in the faith their new dignity, Christians are called to lead henceforth a life "worthy of the gospel of Christ."4 They are made capable of doing so by the grace of Christ and the gifts of his Spirit, which they receive through the sacraments and through prayer.
1693 Christ Jesus always did what was pleasing to the Father,5 and always lived in perfect communion with him. Likewise Christ’s disciples are invited to live in the sight of the Father "who sees in secret,"6 in order to become "perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect."7
1694 Incorporated into Christ by Baptism, Christians are “dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus” and so participate in the life of the Risen Lord.8 Following Christ and united with him,9 Christians can strive to be "imitators of God as beloved children, and walk in love"10 by conforming their thoughts, words and actions to the "mind . . . which is yours in Christ Jesus,"11 and by following his example.12
1695 "Justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God,"13 "sanctified . . . [and] called to be saints,"14 Christians have become the temple of the Holy Spirit.15 This “Spirit of the Son” teaches them to pray to the Father16 and, having become their life, prompts them to act so as to bear "the fruit of the Spirit"17 by charity in action. Healing the wounds of sin, the Holy Spirit renews us interiorly through a spiritual transformation.18 He enlightens and strengthens us to live as “children of light” through "all that is good and right and true."19
1696 The way of Christ “leads to life”; a contrary way “leads to destruction.” The Gospel parable of the two ways remains ever present in the catechesis of the Church; it shows the importance of moral decisions for our salvation: "There are two ways, the one of life, the other of death; but between the two, there is a great difference."21
 
He stopped his riotous behavior and confessed his sins with the willingness to assume the role of a servant.
Yes, I think it has been established that we can fall into mortal sin after Baptism, yet repent and be restored to a State of Grace (that’s what the parable is talking about).

I have acknowledged that such repentance could be considered a “work,” but not in the ordinary sense of the term. You seem to agree with me on that, but continue to point out acts of repentance, which are not in dispute.

So, please help me understand your point by asking you to respond to this very simple yes/no question: Apart from the “works” of receiving Christian Baptism and, if we fall into mortal sin, the “works” or repentance and Sacramental Confession, are there any OTHER works which we are canonically required to perform as a condition of our salvation? If so, can you name one actual example?

I have asked for just one such example in this thread. Nobody has yet proposed any such an example. You can be the first! Philthy seemed very confident that a plausible situation will occur at least once in the lives of modern Americans in which we are required to act, on pain of mortal sin. I invited him to post a reasonable example of such a situation. He has not responded. Nobody else has, either.

I can think of a thousand plausible sins of commission for modern Americans. In fact, I think that the number of possible offenses has increased in modern society, with drugs and porn and promiscuity and all sorts of things. But I believe the “opportunity” to commit a mortal sin of omission has declined, to the point that such a situation is unlikely to arise in the lives of ordinary Americans (or anybody living in a modern Western society). I can think of a thousand sins of commission, but not one single sin of omission. So far, nobody else can either. But, please, enlighten us!
 
…acts of repentance, which are not in dispute.

are there any OTHER works which we are canonically required to perform as a condition of our salvation? If so, can you name one actual example?

I have asked for just one such example in this thread. Nobody has yet proposed any such an example. You can be the first! … But, please, enlighten us!
Yes.

Likely you mean [Oxford] condition: (3) A state of affairs that must exist or be brought about before something else is possible or permitted…

Salvation requires being in a state of sanctifying grace at the time of death. The two cases:


  1. *]The case of infant baptism and death before the age of discretion, and cases of no mortal sin ever occurring after baptism (of water, blood, or desire).
    *]If there was sin after baptism, then salvation requires final repentance from all mortal sins of omission and commission.

    So for the first case there is no sin. That requires that one abstain from mortal sins of commission and do certain works to avoid sins of omission.

    Sins of omission from the Gospel: (Matthew 25:31-49) To see others hungry and thirsty, and not provide food and water for them, or to see others in need of clothing, or sick or in jail but doing nothing to clothe or comfort them.

    (Luke 10:30-37) Ignoring the beaten man in need of help.

    Does that answer the question?
 
Sins of omission from the Gospel: (Matthew 25:31-49) To see others hungry and thirsty, and not provide food and water for them, or to see others in need of clothing, or sick or in jail but doing nothing to clothe or comfort them.

(Luke 10:30-37) Ignoring the beaten man in need of help.

Does that answer the question?
Not really. I framed this question in modern Western society. How many times have you ever been walking down the road and encountered a beaten man? How many other people do you know that have done so? It could happen, but it would not be something one would ever expect, so a modern Westerner could not commit a sin of omission by ignoring a beaten man.

I’m looking for an example of a sin of omission that I could actually commit (and something that a typical Westerner would be expected to encounter - not some crazy scheme).

How many hungry and thirsty people have you encountered in modern Western society? The #1 health concern among America’s poor is obesity. We have fat poor people. How many non-Western societies have fat poor people? Not many.

And how do you know if someone is hungry? They say so? It was easy to tell back in Jesus’ day - the person was emaciated. How many emaciated Westerners have you ever seen? NONE. Beggars ask me for money, which they say is for food, but I suspect it will fund destructive habits. I never give them money, and I am not committing a sin of omission.

How is a modern Westerner ever to see a person in jail, unless we know them personally? In olden times, jails were buildings in the middle of town, with barred windows, and people walked by them all the time. Modern Western jails are not that way (and, besides, there is no need for such charity - Western inmates are fed and clothed).

When was the last time you found a sick stranger who had no recourse to medical treatment? I never have. And the only naked people I have seen were naked on purpose. I contribute to winter coat drives, but I have never seen a poor person in the cold without a coat.

None of these acts of charity typically present themselves to modern Westerners. I’m asking for an example of an act of charity which reasonably might be expected to occur in the workaday lives of ordinary Americans, where the failure to act would constitute a sin of omission.
 
…But, please, enlighten us!
Other positive obligations:
  • Honor thy father and mother.
  • You shall love your neighbor as yourself
Seven Precepts of the Catholic Church

I. To attend Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation, and resting from servile works. (Corresponds to CCC 2042 – first precept.)
II. To observe the days of abstinence and fasting. (Corresponds to CCC 2043 – fourth precept.)
III. To confess our sins to a priest, at least once a year. (Corresponds to CCC 2042 – second precept.) *
IV. To receive Our Lord Jesus Christ in the Holy Eucharist at least once a year during Easter Season. (Corresponds to CCC 2042 – third precept.) *
V. To contribute to the support of the Church. (Corresponds to CCC 2043 – fifth precept.)​

VI. To obey the laws of the Church concerning Matrimony.
VII. To participate in the Church’s mission of Evangelization of Souls.(Missionary Spirit of the Church)
  • Easter Catholic precepts are different on these.
Seven precepts of the Church from Eastern Canon Law (CCEO)

I. To attend Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation, and resting from servile works. (CCEO 199, 378, 880)
II. Confess serious sins to a priest at soon as possible. (CCEO 719)
III. No annual communion requirement, rather, frequent communion is recommended. (CCEO 881.3)
IV. To observe the days of abstinence and fasting. (CCEO 882)
V. To assist with the needs of the Church (CCEO 25.1)​

VI. To obey the laws of the Church concerning Matrimony (CCEO 800-866)
VII. To participate in the Church’s mission of Evangelization of Souls (CCEO 14, 406)
 
  • Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind.
  • And to assent to the faith.
CIC Canon Law (Latin Church)
Canon 750§ 1. Those things are to be believed by divine and catholic faith which are contained in the word of God as it has been written or handed down by tradition, that is, in the single deposit of faith entrusted to the Church, and which are at the same time proposed as divinely revealed either by the solemn Magisterium of the Church, or by its ordinary and universal Magisterium, which in fact is manifested by the common adherence of Christ’s faithful under the guidance of the sacred Magisterium. All are therefore bound to avoid any contrary doctrines.

§ 2. Furthermore, each and everything set forth definitively by the Magisterium of the Church regarding teaching on faith and morals must be firmly accepted and held; namely, those things required for the holy keeping and faithful exposition of the deposit of faith; therefore, anyone who rejects propositions which are to be held definitively sets himself against the teaching of the Catholic Church.
 
Other positive obligations:
[a list of rules and commandments]
Yes, yes, on this we can agree. Deliberate failure to attend Mass (for example) is sinful, and, given sufficient knowledge and consent, can be mortally sinful. This is a sin of omission. On these points we are in complete agreement.

But what I am really thinking about are the “good works” that protestants accuse us of requiring for salvation (and some Catholics actually believe it). These are acts of charity, freely done on behalf of others, not acts of obedience, such as following rules and commandments because an authority has required it of us.

What is an example of such an act of charity that I (or any ordinary American) might expect to be presented with, which would constitute sin (venial or mortal) if I failed to respond?

My instinct tells me that such examples must surely exist, even in this day and age. Yet, I cannot think of any. None of the acts of charity that Jesus named really apply to the average Westerner, because we are never confronted with such situations. We cannot commit a sin of omission because we failed to do something that we never had a reasonable opportunity to do. And we are not required, under penalty of sin, to seek out such opportunities.

Have you ever heard of an American who starved to death as a result of his poverty? I haven’t. America’s poor are often obese. How can I encounter a starving person if there are no starving people in America?

How can I, as a modern American, commit a sin of omission of an act of charity?
 
What is an example of such an act of charity that I (or any ordinary American) might expect to be presented with, which would constitute sin (venial or mortal) if I failed to respond?

How can I, as a modern American, commit a sin of omission of an act of charity?
Failure to Love your neighbor which is then contingent to the Final Judgement. We are responsible for each other and interconnected.

google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCQQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vatican.va%2Farchive%2Fccc_css%2Farchive%2Fcatechism%2Fp3s2c2a8.htm&ei=4H82VO-oN4P7yATdqYCYCg&usg=AFQjCNGIJ7TFRCcHM5RHPaMViHYt6SZ6RA&sig2=o-HaKSq_BW8-vxiSXthcag
 
Yes, yes, on this we can agree. Deliberate failure to attend Mass (for example) is sinful, and, given sufficient knowledge and consent, can be mortally sinful. This is a sin of omission. On these points we are in complete agreement.

But what I am really thinking about are the “good works” that protestants accuse us of requiring for salvation (and some Catholics actually believe it). These are acts of charity, freely done on behalf of others, not acts of obedience, such as following rules and commandments because an authority has required it of us.

What is an example of such an act of charity that I (or any ordinary American) might expect to be presented with, which would constitute sin (venial or mortal) if I failed to respond?

My instinct tells me that such examples must surely exist, even in this day and age. Yet, I cannot think of any. None of the acts of charity that Jesus named really apply to the average Westerner, because we are never confronted with such situations. We cannot commit a sin of omission because we failed to do something that we never had a reasonable opportunity to do. And we are not required, under penalty of sin, to seek out such opportunities.

Have you ever heard of an American who starved to death as a result of his poverty? I haven’t. America’s poor are often obese. How can I encounter a starving person if there are no starving people in America?

How can I, as a modern American, commit a sin of omission of an act of charity?
Much obliged.

CIC (Latin canon law)Canon 222

§1. The Christian faithful are obliged to assist with the needs of the Church so that the Church has what is necessary for divine worship, for the works of the apostolate and of charity, and for the decent support of ministers.
§2. They are also obliged to promote social justice and, mindful of the precept of the Lord, to assist the poor from their own resources.

CCEO (easten canon law)Canon 25
  1. The Christian faithful are obliged to assist with the needs of the Church so that the Church has what is necessary for its proper ends, especially for divine worship, for apostolic works and works of charity and for the decent sustenance of ministers.
  2. They are also obliged to promote social justice and, mindful of the precept of the Lord, to assist the poor from their own resources.
 
Failure to Love your neighbor which is then contingent to the Final Judgement. We are responsible for each other and interconnected.
Can you give me an example of something that would show love for my neighbor, where the failure to act would be sinful?

In Jesus’ day, one might reasonably expect to encounter a beaten person (which was the context of the “love your neighbor” teaching). That sort of thing doesn’t happen today. It’s possible, but very unlikely.

So Jesus gave an example that his Apostles could relate to, but modern Americans can’t relate to. If Jesus were telling such a parable today, what example might he give?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top