:australia: LATEST: The US president-elect is interested in Australia's COVID-19 response | NSW is the 'gold standard' for COVID-19 management accordi

• Thread starter Thread starter ATraveller
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Victoria

Five million Melburnians have spent their first night under a citywide, coronavirus-enforced curfew that will last the next six weeks.

Premier Daniel Andrews on Sunday announced a suite of tough new COVID-19 regulations designed to limit movement in Melbourne, while foreshadowing more to come for workplaces.

New South Wales
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
( )
Why NSW has so far avoided Victoria’s crisis and the failures seen in the US:
https://www.9news.com.au/national/c...w-sydney/54fee725-84a1-4496-9f02-698588659f85
It feels a long time since Sydney was the epicentre of Australia’s coronavirus pandemic.
John Kaldor, professor of epidemiology at the Kirby Institute at the University of NSW, said NSW has “a very substantial and effective” contact tracing team in place, which is helping stem the pandemic.

“They are detecting a steady amount of cases but so far the vast majority of those cases are linked to known outbreaks and they are picking them up in pretty good time,” Prof. Kaldor said.

“The number of mystery cases is still very small.”

He said daily case numbers need to be unpacked, as it was the mystery transmission cases which cannot be linked to known cases which represented the greatest risk.

Even a freshly reported linked case could be someone already in quarantine, he said, meaning that person has not been out in public potentially infecting others.

Currently, around 10 per cent of NSW daily reported cases are people infected from an unknown source.

Yet despite this low number, Prof. Kaldor said the situation in NSW remains “a concern” because the virus is so infectious.
If you have too many cases that can’t be traced, you end up like Victoria and the US.

Queensland
With proper leadership you can get the numbers down to zero community transmission:

Last edited:
New South Wales
Of the 12 new cases reported to 8pm last night:
  • one is a traveller in hotel quarantine
  • three were household cases acquired in Victoria
  • eight were locally acquired
Of the eight locally acquired:
  • one case linked to the Thai Rock restaurant Wetherill Park
  • two cases attended the Apollo restaurant in Potts Point
  • two cases attended Mounties, Mount Pritchard and
  • three are linked to people who attended Mounties, Mount Pritchard
( )
Victoria
439 new cases, 11 new deaths

New South Wales It seems they’ve fell short of getting it under 10 new cases a day but at the very least seems to have prevented a second wave at this point. No lockdown like earlier this year and no mandatory face coverings (just highly recommended).
Of the 12 new cases, 1 is a traveller in hotel quarantine & 1 is locally acquired with unknown source.

10 linked to known cases inc:
Still not good enough for Queensland.

“When you have even a couple of unknown sources of a virus, that can have tragic consequences if you don’t focus your energies on tracking down each and every case and you ringfence each and every cluster,” Ms Berejiklian said. [Excellent advice for governments around the world]
Victoria Things aren’t getting better despite Melbourne under lockdown for about a month.

Victoria has recorded 725 new coronavirus cases and 15 new deaths — the highest daily totals in the state since the pandemic began.

Last edited:
New South Wales That contact tracing work is working very well.
( )
Still not good enough for Queensland. So they closed their border to NSW again.

Victoria

The state had recorded 466 new coronavirus cases, with 12 deaths in the last 24 hours.
An inquiry into what went wrong has been delayed due to the state’s stage 4 coronavirus restrictions.

Beijing has 0 new cases for a while now. Science wins over ideology once again.

Australia now becomes a good example for the world in what not to do.

Even before this second outbreak Australia was doing nothing near as well as any Chinese province outside the Hubei province. Yet people are quick to say theyve done well. Give me a break. The dangers of ignoring science and facts is grim indeed.
Even assuming China doesn’t lie about its stats, “Australia’s” problem is one city and an inquiry will be held.
Also, why do you insist on posting about communist China on my thread about Australia?

I’m just posting in respect to your title claiming that Australia has a lid on Covid which is laughable when compared to China.

And its not just one city, its 2 cities at least, and in such a small country which also happens to be an island, should have done much better, but in the end, its not doing anything near as good as any province in China except Hubei, where there are much higher density of population and land borders. So I’m purley talking science, and in this case just happen China has led the world and shown by example how to combat Covid scientifically.

I’m just posting in respect to your title claiming that Australia has a lid on Covid which is laughable when compared to China.
Oh, I see. You’re shilling for communist China. Given the fact that you’ve flooded multiple threads with pro-communist China posts.

Last edited:
Show me the evidence! Whereas they are plenty of evidence to the contrary.

I see. Anyone who disagrees with you is a spam. Which forum rules have I violated?

Last edited:
Australia has a lid on Covid
I think @ATraveller can be excused for engaging in a bit of hyperbole. That part of the title is as it was when he or she first started this thread in early April. At that time, there wasn’t an immense amount of reporting (especially from non-domestic news outlets) on Australia’s management of COVID-19.
Show me the evidence! Whereas they are plenty of evidence to the contrary.
What I said was a generality. In any case, I’m not especially interested in jousting with a user who evidently has an unusual penchant for introducing (and defending) the PRC in threads that have almost no relationship to the PRC.

I’m making the point that Australia has not put a lid on covid even in April. And the best example is that there are other places that have done far far much better.
Then why engage in a song and a dance about how ‘science wins over ideology’ and introduce the PRC?

Brunei is doing quite well too, but one does not see other users reciting panegyrics about the Abode of Peace, and how we all should be subject to His Majesty Hassanal Bolkiah, whose sultanate must be a paradise of learned, apolitical scholars and scientists.

And its not just one city, its 2 cities at least, and in such a small country which also happens to be an island, should have done much better, but in the end, its not doing anything near as good as any province in China except Hubei, where there are much higher density of population and land borders. So I’m purley talking science, and in this case just happen China has led the world and shown by example how to combat Covid scientifically.
oh please, I am in Victoria. Noone can stop this virus. Once its out, its out.

Define ’ combat Covid scientifically’

keep posting but define what you mean with examples.

You are not making any point, just expressing opinions at this point.

Last edited:
Sure of course. Finally there is someone interested in science.
Why don’t we talk about universal mask wearing, universal testing (did you read that abc article), and giving health workers n95 mask instead of just surgical mask? These are the things that seem to work.

I’m here to seek the truth and please spare me all the ideology. If you can back your claims with facts, please do.
St Thomas Aquinas said, every truth, no matter who utters it, must come from the Holy Spirit. Why are people so scared of the truth?

Last edited:
Why don’t we talk about universal mask wearing, universal testing (did you read that abc article), and giving health workers n95 mask instead of just surgical mask? These are the things that seem to work.
oh please, all Victoria is required to wear masks, the science backs up their efficiacy. Its mandatory. Are you even in Victoria?

Since you are talking science, what is the issue with n95 masks. Because guess what, they are not for this virus. You are wrong, they dont work for this virus. Given your robust science discussion, it will be simple for you to tell me why
I’m here to seek the truth and please spare me all the ideology. If you can back your claims with facts, please do.
St Thomas Aquinas said, every truth, no matter who utters it, must come from the Holy Spirit. Why are people so scared of the truth?
You want truth, scientific truth, then quit quoting long centuries dead saints and jump into the space all Victorians are in atm.

You want truth of this virus, only God can stop it. We can try to limit its spread.
You want truth of how its impacting people?

Do you want your truth or the truth of the reality?

Last edited:
Really? Where did you get this from? I think most medical experts would disagree with you.
I suggest you quit while you are ahead, go research why mr science

then get back to me, i am in lockdown in Victoria and have all the time in the world to point out your out of date errors

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back