:australia: LATEST: The US president-elect is interested in Australia's COVID-19 response | NSW is the 'gold standard' for COVID-19 management accordi

• Thread starter Thread starter ATraveller
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
Also important:
Small multiples for daily cases in 77 countries:
• 10 African countries
• Early action in Australia & New Zealand may have turned corner
Flag of Australia
Flag of New Zealand
Chart with downwards trend

• Austria & Norway locked down early; new cases falling
• Watch as countries relax lockdowns
Eyes

All charts: http://ft.com/coronavirus-latest
( )

Last edited:
In some ways Australia was like Taiwan. The WHO can provide excellent information but it has challenges that hinders its ability to be effective. It’s a resource but not the ultimate authority. Emphasis mine.
There has been widespread international concern that China not only downplayed the seriousness of the virus, but had undue influence over the WHO, which did not declare the outbreak a global pandemic until March 11 — a fortnight after Australia declared it a pandemic.

The actions that the Australian Government have taken and that included getting out well ahead of the World Health Organisation at Dr [Brendan] Murphy’s … very insightful advice,” Mr Morrison said on February 27.

Last edited:
The actions that the Australian Government have taken and that included getting out well ahead of the World Health Organisation at Dr [Brendan] Murphy’s … very insightful advice,” Mr Morrison said on February 27.
I think this is one of the largest factors to Australia’s success so far (acting early) as well as factors such as land size to population ratios & other factors. I also believe they are well aware of the economic systems being a huge vessel for transmission.

It seems to be the way in which the economy is handled that greatly determine the outcomes. Handling the economy would include, border control, immigration, education, retail, industry & general population.

Australia, even though itching to open up the economy are weary of being to quick about it. In general the different levels of government in Australia, have since the beginning spoken about a 6-12 month shut down, whether they stick to this remains to be seen.

Summer and winter are not predicted to slow or increase the spread of this virus. Based on current research.

Studies or not, the first recorded case in Australia was less than 2 months ago.

Time will tell us more than speculation about a novel virus, imo.

I don’t think the upcoming southern hemisphere winter will make things worse for Australia as long as they are cautious because Singapore and Indonesia are tropical countries and the former has had a terrible second wave and Indonesia isn’t coping too well. The same can be said for Ecuador.

Last edited:
I’m just thinking of what some Physicians have said about it being here to stay and being seasonal. It came there late in their summer and came to the US and Europe in late winter.

We’ll see.

Some coronavirus restrictions will ease in Queensland before next weekend, the Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk says.
“Because we have done such a terrific job of flattening the curve, after discussions with the Chief Health Officer, from next Friday we will be able to lift some of the stay-at-home restrictions,” Ms Palaszczuk said.
The state has recorded three new coronavirus cases in the past 24 hours, bringing its total number of cases to 1,030.

“Just 98 of those cases are active,” the Health Minister Steven Miles said.

Probably helps that they have a population of two, and that they each live on either end of the country.

Probably helps that they have a population of two, and that they each live on either end of the country.
Too bad with similar densities, Canada is suffering terribly. It’s leadership and proactive thinking that’s making the difference.

Last edited:
I was just being facetious, not trying to reduce it all to a matter of density. It’s an easy scapegoat for people who want to preach about the “inevitability” of mass deaths from coronavirus, but the allure of making a comment about Australia being barren was too much.

Health authorities are expecting more than half of all Australians to download the voluntary COVIDSafe contact tracing app, which logs every user who has been within 1.5 metres of a person for 15 minutes or more by using Bluetooth technology to record digital “handshakes” with other phones.
The Morrison government has promised a “triple lock of privacy” to convince Australians their information will not be used for anything other than its sole purpose to aid authorities in halting the spread of COVID-19.
Australians will be asked to give a name, which can be a pseudonym, a contact phone number, a postcode and an age range, and neither their location nor movements will be registered.
“The safeguards that have been put in place are the strongest ever. Not even a court order can penetrate the law … not even a court order during the investigation of an alleged crime would allow the data to be used." [Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt]
Alice Drury, senior lawyer at the Human Rights Law Centre said Australians deserved to have their privacy protected by laws passed in parliament that provide for “independent oversight and mandatory public reporting of all uses of the data”.

Last edited:
Australia’s borders will likely remain closed for many months to come, but the Morrison government is weighing up a proposal to resume travel with New Zealand.

Our nearest neighbour has a similarly low number of COVID-19 cases to Australia, prompting the government to consider the reopening of borders between the two countries before general international travel resumes.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison yesterday confirmed he has discussed the plan with New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern.
:australia: ↔️ :new_zealand:

Last edited:
Yes this is a big factor Australia has wide open spaces mainly arid desert with an extremely sparsely spread population. The local corner store is 30+ miles away for many 😃

In all seriousness though we are all suffering together, yes Australia & lets not forget the kiwis (New Zealand) have fared very well so far

Last edited:
The many issues raised here are very important & subjective, it shows hope, triumph & indeed tribulation. Many factors go into success & failure I guess they are a combination of more positive than negative in the context of the OP

I can only hope that we are all looking closely at the positive & negative outcomes of ALL nations, in order to grow humanities collective knowledge & chances for success.

Australia is a beautiful country & very respected in the global arena & certainly has always had an important role & I think it is going to step up many notches.

As an Australian, I think it’s important to note that the population density statistic can be somewhat misleading. Australia is very heavily urbanised: >90% of the population lives in the major state and territorial capital cities, which accounts for 0.2% of the nation’s land area. Sydney alone has 20% of the country’s population.

As an Australian, I think it’s important to note that the population density statistic can be somewhat misleading. Australia is very heavily urbanised: >90% of the population lives in the major state and territorial capital cities, which accounts for 0.2% of the nation’s land area. Sydney alone has 20% of the country’s population.
While it’s true they live in urban centers, they are not densely packed. People have a little breathing room, not packed in dense apartment buildings as you see in Hong Kong, Singapore, etc.

But dense or not, the Asian geo countries have done a better job responding to this crisis than Europe and North America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back