"Biden’s Call for ‘National Mask Mandate’ Gains Traction in Public Health Circles"

• Thread starter Thread starter IanM
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll be damned if I’m going to let anyone in Washington dictate to me that I have to wear anything.

Here in the UK they seem to be fining people for not wearing them, and seem to have policemen stationed around train stations and stuff to catch people out. It’s an expensive fine too, more than dodging the rail fare, but I don’t know how much it’s actually enforced.

Why don’t you go there without a mask tomorrow and report back to us how it went? 😂
I’d rather not! It’s £200 for your first offence, with the ability to only pay £100 if you pay within the first 14 days, but then it doubles for every successive offence and there’s no way to get a discount. If they are fining a significant number of people for this then they’re probably making a nice bit of cash from it.
Do under-nosers get fined too?
@ThinkingSapien Hypothetically it seems to be the case. You would hope they would just tell you to wear it properly though.

I figure that his political sensibilities would kick in before trying to mandate this. It would gradually be ignored and his credibility as a leader would then suffer. Not that I’d want this - I’m a staunch mask-wearer.

“Oi mate, you got a loicense fer dat mask?” the British bobby shouts at you as you step onto the station platform.

I don’t really think it’s much more “Orwellian” than a lot of other state measures, but Americans are generally a lot more sensitive to this kind of stuff. I think it’s a pretty pointless measure and if they are actually fining a lot of people for it then the money is probably incentive enough to do it. I should clarify that you aren’t required to wear one on the street, only in certain locations, hence why I mentioned train stations.

Last edited:
Wearing a mask to protect from a pandemic shouldn’t be controversial.
That is the saddest thing when people need to be forced to become rational. No one seriously protests against seat-belt laws, even though NOT wearing one does not endanger others.

That’s because you can choose not to wear a seatbelt and no ones going to berate you for it. I’ve never worn one, and never been ticketed for it either. Cops rarely enforce it.

I’d rather not! It’s £200 for your first offence, with the ability to only pay £100 if you pay within the first 14 days, but then it doubles for every successive offence and there’s no way to get a discount. If they are fining a significant number of people for this then they’re probably making a nice bit of cash from it.
Ah, so much for our intrepid reporter. 😁

Kidding aside, it sounds rather intense ( and a perhaps a plus to government coffers).

That’s because you can choose not to wear a seatbelt and no ones going to berate you for it. I’ve never worn one, and never been ticketed for it either. Cops rarely enforce it.
That is not the point. Not wearing a seat belt does NOT endanger others, and most people have no problem with the laws about it. Not wearing a mask endangers others.

The solution would be to make it socially unacceptable to endanger others, by the pretext of “personal freedom”. I have always been a civil libertarian, very much cognizant of my freedom, but the freedom should not be allowed to place others into jeopardy. No one complains that one is not allowed to shout “fire” in a crowded theater.

Neither does not wearing a mask if you aren’t sick
Come on. Even if you have no symptoms YET, you might already be infected and might be spreading the virus. And, of course covering the nose protects you, while covering the mouth protects others. This whole hysteria against the masks is Trump’s fault. It is not “macho” to wear it.

We also might be carrying Ebola. Or the flu, or tuberculosis, or the Black Death.

There’s any number of communicable diseases people could be passing around, and unless they know it and take no precautions then there is no onus on anyone to do anything.

Well folks, we are approaching 10 million cases here in the US.

Must be all that excessive mask wearing surely. 🤔

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back