Cafeteria Catholic?

• Thread starter Thread starter meglin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

meglin

Our Catholic faith is more than words. When we profess to being Catholic, we must submit ourselves – body and soul to Jesus Christ and understand that Pope John Paul II is the Vicar of Christ.

Of course, but unfortunately to many people accept the secular ideals of society and will only accept *certain * teachings of the Roman Catholic Church as long as it does not effect there immoral lifestyle and secular beliefs such as contraceptives, abortion and homosexual marriages.

40.png
Adam:
as long as it does not effect
They are hedging their bets between God and Baal.

I don’t follow all the teachings in the sense that I am still a sinner and imperfectly trying.

However, I do not knowingly reject any teaching of the Church, and consider myself to be in submission and obediance to my Bishop and our Holy Father.

I try at the first one, but I fail miserably. I am a sinner in need of God’s mercy. But through Confession and Penance I am forgiven and I strive again to reform my life.

Fortunately now I am trying to adhere to all tenents of the faith. Unfortunately it took me about 35 years to wake and understand that there is more to life than making money and acquiring STUFF. I had every opportunity growing up to know my faith but for whatever reason it never took hold. I see the same type attitude in many of my catholic friends. Cafeteria catholicism is a major problem.

While I chose and try to live up to #1, I’ve spent a lot more of my life as “Other”, in particular as a completely fallen-away Catholic.

Guess I don’t do things by half-measures. Lucky for me, neither does God. 🙂

St. Louis:
Fortunately now I am trying to adhere to all tenents of the faith. Unfortunately it took me about 35 years to wake and understand that there is more to life than making money and acquiring STUFF. I had every opportunity growing up to know my faith but for whatever reason it never took hold…
I Ditto St. Louis. By the grace of God, I said, “What the heck…” and attended a retreat at my church, really just to get away from my problems for a weekend. That was a couple of years ago, and it really turned me around - now I’m trying to really be Catholic, trying to learn this Faith.

The point I’m trying to make is, I think parrish retreats are wonderful, and we should all prayerfully consider participating, and encouraging others to participate in these renewal weekends. It “worked” for this ex-cafeteria-Catholic, it could work for others.

I think the wording of the Cafeteria Catholic selection is one that few Cafeteria Catholics would pick. Also, I think if you were to redo this without reference to apostolic succession you might get better results.

Something like

I disagree with the Magesterium of the Catholic Church on …
  1. Nothing
  2. Matters of practice (married priests)
  3. Matters of authoritative teaching (birth control)
  4. Matters of dogma (Church isn’t visible, communion of saints, Marian dogmas, in a nutshell … Protestantism)
  5. Everything pertaining to faith (not Christian)
I have a feeling that 88% might be split a little more between 1 and 2. Any suggestions on making this poll better? I think we can get a better picture of the 88% by clarifying a few things …

i am convinced that a cafeteria catholic is no more than a catholic with a few chinks in his/her armor… the Devil has managed to find a few weak links with which to operate as a parasite and to eventually weaken the individual… to one day make it easier for the infected host to find reason to ignore more and more of the churches direction… to one day turn left instead of turning right to the path of Light… Beware, a dragon awaits the stumble and fall…
you can pick yourself up and continue on, but with every compromise of ethics, and principal, and everytime we find reason to turn our backs on Rome, i promise you the dragon grins just a little more… so look for reasons to agree with the Holy Father and the Church of Christ that he leads, say a rosary daily, pray for the souls of purgatory, accept guidance from the church that the Holy Spirit will not let err…

Your committment to be one with the One True Church will only bolster yourself and your comrades and give you the required strength to do the right thing, to fight that dragon and to pass from this world to the kingdom that is to surely come…

You might not know it all… allow the collective wisdom of 2000 years to trump any desire to go your way and not the way of the Church Of Christ…which is greek/hebrew for the One, True, Holy, Roman Catholic Church… 👍

space ghost:
Your committment to be one with the One True Church will only bolster yourself and your comrades and give you the required strength to do the right thing, to fight that dragon and to pass from this world to the kingdom that is to surely come…

You might not know it all… allow the collective wisdom of 2000 years to trump any desire to go your way and not the way of the Church Of Christ…which is greek/hebrew for the One, True, Holy, Roman Catholic Church… 👍
I couldn’t agree more.

Obedience in this world is scarcely existent. The “do as I feel” philosophy of our culture is leading us to perdition.

Our Blessed Mother is the model of obedience. She said yes and allowed the Will of God to manifest in Her. She resisted interfering in the torture and murder of Her Son.

How many of us could/would trust in God as She did?

I agree that this poll needs a little more clarification between one and two. I have been able to see, understand, appreciate, and believe the church’s teaching on the subject of birth control … but it can be so hard to follow because it requires that both people in the marriage must be of one heart and mind… and this takes time, especially for a young couple. Perhaps a better distiction would be that I believe and struggle with applying the teachings.

Yes, the poll could use a little clarification. Some of the Cafeteria variety that I’ve met since joining the Church can be very adamant that they are the ones that are “true” Catholics and tend to defend their deliberate disobedience vehemently. I met one person who thought that she was somehow “beyond” all that superstition, i.e. - the devotions to Mary we preserve, by just “talking” to God. She seemed more Protestant than most of the Protestants I knew at the time and “knew” how the Church could improve itself and would win for itself bulging pews by just allowing certain things to pass! Oi, Lord save us all from those who would improve on perfection!

Peace and all good,

Thomas2

For those who think the poll needs more clarification, you’re missing the point.

The point being…unless you picked any of the bottom 3, your choice should only be the first. I say this not from an arrogant perspective, but rather the perspective of the Holy Father.

When you look at it, any selection but the first, is a selection away from the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Faith.

While no one is perfect and mistakes are surely made, it is the selective will against our Catholic Canons that amounts to nothing more than a personal reformation.

40.png
rfk:
I don’t follow all the teachings in the sense that I am still a sinner and imperfectly trying.

However, I do not knowingly reject any teaching of the Church, and consider myself to be in submission and obediance to my Bishop and our Holy Father.
I think this would describe me, as well. I try, but the flesh is weak - Thank God for confession.

John

40.png
raphaela:
what’s a cafeteria catholic???
Raphaela,

a “cafeteria Catholic” is one who picks and chooses what he/she will accept, much like they would select the food they want in a cafteria.

John

Actually Raphela, it makes no sense at all to me to belong to a church that you disagree with. There are plenty of other places folks can go that will satisfy their needs, but the Church is deserving of obedience. I would much prefer that those so-called Catholics who do not agree with the Church should find more suitable settings for their type of worship until they are ready to be honest with God, themselves and those around them for whom they are a bad example and have disdain. Perhaps in time I will feel more charitable towards them, but at this point I’m a little sick and tired of them. Pray for me. 😦

Peace and all good,

Thomas2

40.png
weunice:
I think the wording of the Cafeteria Catholic selection is one that few Cafeteria Catholics would pick. Also, I think if you were to redo this without reference to apostolic succession you might get better results.

Something like

I disagree with the Magesterium of the Catholic Church on …
  1. Nothing
  2. Matters of practice (married priests)
  3. Matters of authoritative teaching (birth control)
  4. Matters of dogma (Church isn’t visible, communion of saints, Marian dogmas, in a nutshell … Protestantism)
  5. Everything pertaining to faith (not Christian)
I have a feeling that 88% might be split a little more between 1 and 2. Any suggestions on making this poll better? I think we can get a better picture of the 88% by clarifying a few things …
Well, this is a good suggestion. Though… I think that “cafeteria” Catholics would more accurately choose more than “one of the above” on that menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back