Calling herself a devout Catholic, leading U.S. politician says banning abortion ignores basic morality

  • Thread starter Thread starter mdgspencer
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, gotta wonder why she would want to be a priest when she can’t seem to grasp the Church’s basic moral teaching.
LOL - it was when she was young. But obviously, based on that quote, she never did grasp basic dogma.
 
Good point. The evils of slavery were abolished. The evils of abortion must also be abolished, especially 20-week abortions, and born-alive infanticide.
 
That is exactly the problem when NP and other “Catholic” politicians on the left spout their nonsense on abortion, same sex marriage, transgenderism, and all the other non Catholic teachings they proclaim. Non Catholics believe they are being truthful in their statements about what is acceptable in the Catholic Church. Poorly catechized Catholics, much in the same way, believe this is what the Church teaches. It is scandal.
 
Well, the Archbishop of Washington DC just allowed “Catholic” pro-abortion Pelosi to give a “eulogy” at a Catholic funeral for pro-abort Cokie Roberts. Both publicly advocated for abortion…
According to polls I have seen, more than 50% of Catholics say that in all, or in most cases abortion should be legal. Similarly, many Catholics (not just public figures) favor artificial contraception and SS marriage. For example pew research has a poll showing that 67% of Catholics favor SS marriage and 28% oppose. I know a Catholic college that (in an official college publication for alumni) publicly congratulates SS couples on their marriage to one another.


When you look at the statistics from the Religious Landscape study you see that only 18% of Jehovah’s witnesses favor the legalization of all or most abortions, while 75% oppose. Only 14% of Jehovah’s Witnesses favor SS marriage while 76% oppose.


Why is it that so many Catholics favor abortion rights for women and favor SS marriage, whereas among Jehovah’s Witnesses, the percentage favoring abortion rights and SS marriage is much smaller?

As far as contraception goes, 89 percent of Catholics say it is morally acceptable or not a moral issue at all.


To sum up, Nancy Pelosi is one among many Catholics disagreeing with the teachings of the Catholic church on these issues.
 
Last edited:
Abortion may be something many of you disagree with by I must wonder why you believe your set of beliefs in this matter may trump another persons? Like for instance imagine if a large sect of SEventh day adevntists saw mass on Sunday as morally repugnant and decided they wouldn’t fight to ban it. Why does one’s personal belief have to Ben used to try to take another’s autonomy away?
 
We vote for them because there is more than the issue of abortion to think about.
 
Definitely not going to follow that teaching! I am not a one issue voter and there is more at stake than abortion.

When Republicans are pro-life for all, then maybe I will follow the teaching.
 
Last edited:
This is scandalous and you have to wonder how a Catholic bishop could allow this to happen. By scandalous I mean in the moral theological sense:
II. RESPECT FOR THE DIGNITY OF PERSONS

Respect for the souls of others: scandal

[2284]
Scandal is an attitude or behavior which leads another to do evil. The person who gives scandal becomes his neighbor’s tempter. He damages virtue and integrity; he may even draw his brother into spiritual death. Scandal is a grave offense if by deed or omission another is deliberately led into a grave offense.

[2285] Scandal takes on a particular gravity by reason of the authority of those who cause it or the weakness of those who are scandalized. It prompted our Lord to utter this curse: "Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened round his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea."86 Scandal is grave when given by those who by nature or office are obliged to teach and educate others. Jesus reproaches the scribes and Pharisees on this account: he likens them to wolves in sheep’s clothing.87

[2286] Scandal can be provoked by laws or institutions, by fashion or opinion.

Therefore, they are guilty of scandal who establish laws or social structures leading to the decline of morals and the corruption of religious practice, or to "social conditions that, intentionally or not, make Christian conduct and obedience to the Commandments difficult and practically impossible."88 This is also true of business leaders who make rules encouraging fraud, teachers who provoke their children to anger,89 or manipulators of public opinion who turn it away from moral values.

2287 Anyone who uses the power at his disposal in such a way that it leads others to do wrong becomes guilty of scandal and responsible for the evil that he has directly or indirectly encouraged. "Temptations to sin are sure to come; but woe to him by whom they come!"90
In my lay opinion, this kind of scandal is every bit as corrosive as the abuse scandals, because it contributes to the proliferation of evil by supporting structures of sin in our political system.
 
Last edited:
It is not my job to determine who is devout and who is not, that is between each person, their priest and God.

For me, I rejoice that the Church does not require perfection before one can call oneself Catholic, because that means I can be a Catholic.
You win for best response!
 
It is not my job to determine who is devout and who is not, that is between each person, their priest and God.

For me, I rejoice that the Church does not require perfection before one can call oneself Catholic, because that means I can be a Catholic.
It is our job however to make good prudential judgments and to have concern for the least among us. And to speak out for the least among us by our public words and actions.

Whether a person can or should be described as devout is a red herring.
 
Sort of. This is not how the Church has actually worded it though.

…nor is abortion the only pro-life issue, much less the only moral issue.

Funny you use that example. I thought of the last election as one person representing Moloch, and the other Mammon.

“You” is not you. This letter was written to the Church at Corinth. The post before said.
It is not my job to determine who is devout and who is not, that is between each person, their priest and God.
It is the priest as representative of God to fulfill the verse quoted. We only judge as voters who is best suited for office, not who “deserves” a funeral, or who has earned any of the other graces of the Church.
 
Last edited:
That may be your opinion, but it is not how the Church works. Excommunication is not a matter of consensus. But hey, if you feel up to the task of judging other people on your own, not just actions, go ahead. Personally, I do not want to bring that type of judgement upon myself, as Jesus said we would. For we also have this from Jesus Himself:
Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
In any case, I am not a member of that parish and do not know those two people personally. I assume you must.
 
LOL! I quoted a longer section than you did, which, by the way had a specific context of
Jesus answered and said to them, “I performed one work and all of you are amazed because of it. Moses gave you circumcision—not that it came from Moses but rather from the patriarchs—and you circumcise a man on the sabbath. If a man can receive circumcision on a sabbath so that the law of Moses may not be broken, are you angry with me because I made a whole person well on a sabbath?
But then again, with someone whom I do not personally know, the appearance of who they are is all I have. I don’t question the validity of what you say, only its application for me to people I do not know. Yes, I understand my responsibility to my brother, but all I know of Nancy Pelosi I have read in the news. I can surely judge the wrongness of positions, even though I do not know her. This may not apply to you though, if you know her.
 
Last edited:
What is your point for purposes of sound moral theology?
It was a question I had. Why do so many Roman Catholics, such as Nancy Pelosi for example, reject the sound moral theology on SS marriage and abortion, whereas you don’t see that in some other religions. I gave a reference to a Roman Catholic journal, America which has information on the large percentage of Roman Catholics who reject the sound moral church teaching on artificial birth control (89%), and on other things like SS marriage and abortion.
 
Last edited:
I have see that in the Mormon church. Baptist don’t really address the issue, as their creed is very general. But I think it would be very useful for bishops to address those that create public scandal within their parish, and re-iterate the Church’s doctrine in areas where scandal is causing confusion.
 
This confused thinking arises from a form of compassion that is actually not compassion. There are two victims in abortion, the developing child and the mother. Sometimes the father but he is rarely mentioned, and this lack of being mentioned puts him in a kind of limbo where his conscience should be his guide. So what some Catholics have allowed themselves to believe contradicts Church teaching and common sense. Everyone should understand that the moment a woman becomes pregnant a new, individual human being begins to live.
 
Last edited:
According to polls I have seen, more than 50% of Catholics say that in all, or in most cases abortion should be legal. Similarly, many Catholics (not just public figures) favor artificial contraception and SS marriage. For example pew research has a poll showing that 67% of Catholics favor SS marriage and 28% oppose. I know a Catholic college that (in an official college publication for alumni) publicly congratulates SS couples on their marriage to one another.
Matthew 7
13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top